Raisins etc.

Nicola

Reaction score
At what age did you (or can you) give LO raisins?

Also, when to stop using a fresh food feeder for things like grapes etc.

Hey Nicola,

I've been giving DD raisins for about 2 weeks. About three times a week though as I know they are really sugary. I do worry about this as I know some people don't because some say "they are just like sweets" but I am so careful about the rest of her diet, I need something quick and easy as an occassional snack. She loves them.

I've never used a baby safe feeder and give DD all sorts of fruit pieces including half grapes now but she's not great with whole fruit (prefers pureed fruit). She'll often eat the flesh of grapes, blueberries and satsumas etc and spit out the pith/skin as she can't chew through it - apparently this is normal.

I hope this helps.

Valentine Xxx

I gave ds raisins from about 7 months but we did BLW so he's always been pretty good with finger foods/not choking!

I never used a baby safe feeder, ds just had the fruit as it was from day 1 of weaning. He only properly choked once on a piece of apple when he was 8 months old but I wasn't watching him carefully :oops: he just shoved too much in.

I always cut grapes in half & used to take the skin off all fruit until about 2 months ago.

Last edited:
Oops forgot to warn you that raisins often come out the other end looking the same as when they went in! Can be a bit of a shock the first nappy...

Haven't got to this stage yet.... but regarding the sugaryness of dried fruits - I saw an oral health lady recently who advised that dried fruits should really only be given at meal times & not as snacks as this way the sugar is only coating LO's teeth 3 times a day with a big gap in between, rather than as a snack which could mean they're having sugary things a lot more often & the teeth don't have time to battle off the sugars.

It's such a bloomin minefield ain't it? I'm kinda dreading when my LO goes onto solids, sometimes it seems you can't do right for trying! :x

Thanks for the replies girls, I gave DS 4 raisins after his lunch and he ate them perfectly and seemed to enjoy them too. Very pleased about that. I'm aware of the sugar thing too. I bought a food feeder and think I've used it twice for grapes, nothing else, DS is good with slices of apple (no peel) or kiwi slices etc (bit of a pointless buy really!) anyway I might try him with half pieces of grape instead of a whole one, see how he goes then, he loves cucumber and carrot sticks etc I'm just afraid of the small things and choking but the raisins (under strict supervision) went down well so I think he'd manage half a grape on his own. Awww little boy's growing far too fast!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back