Finger Food for a 9 month old

Emmylou

Reaction score
Libby loves feeding herself, amongst her fave finger foods are blueberries and grapes & ricecakes, but she also has
toast with butter
rusks
banana
Cow & Gate biscuits
Raisins
:D

But I want to give her more variety of things!!

I have tried a few things but have been told by MIL that I shouldn't be giving them to her, as they are too salty/ sugary :roll:

Can she have:
Breadsticks
Olives
Toast with Jam
She loves all of them!

What else can you suggest, she won't eat cheese thats the only thing she doesn't like (although she will have cheesy bread, just not pieces of chesse/ cheese spread etc) and i've tried her unsuccessfully with carrot, she'll only eat that mushed up in food not in sticks :)

I give Leof breadstick and he has had cake, muffins, little bits of chocolate, fruit, wotsits and toast, i am sure she would be fine with a little jam on it :)

My cousins daughter is 9 months old and she has cheese sandwhiches and cakes, crisps and anything they fancy giving her and she loves it.

Obviously everyone would advise not to give salty/sugery foods to any LO but as long as its in moderation I would give Libby whatever you can, to help her gain a varied diet and taste allsorts of foods :) Isaac has had breadsticks (eye pokers-watch out for them hehe) and he likes toast, but with cheese on, not tried Jam yet, don't really give him sweet stuff, he has plenty of fruit, and he's not too keen onchocolate, I'm sure that will change :lol: Let us know how it goes Emmylou, its always great to hear new finger food ideas too :D :hug:

Hi Em,

Right well tbh I over this last week have started giving Oran everything to try eating by himself (obviously within reason, ie no Mc D's!!!). Last week when I was staying at mums he had pretty much what we had and he came on soooooo much with his eating it was unbelievable. Ill just echo what everyone else said and say, as long as its in moderation it will be fine. Also with the cheese, oran wont eat hard cheese in cubes or sticks he turns his nose up but if its grated he will eat a bit, think he isnt keen as he turns his nose up at caulli cheese these days but he does like dairylea/primula. Anyway her is some examples of things ive given oran recently

Fish fingers (no batter)
Smiley potatoe faces
Pasta twirls
Spag Bol (just a bit of mince and I cut the spag up to smaller pieces - beware though put her in a vest only and something under her high chair or everything will be orange lol)
Carrot and Turnip
Peas (so funny watching him spend 10 min to pick 1 pea up then for him to drop it out of his mouth by accident)
Broccoli
Yorks Puds (grandmas homemades yum yum)
Potatoes

in the pub tongight for tea they dont have much kiddies choice so he had Pizza, Chips and peas and garlic bread, he loves garlic bread - no crust

Thats just some ideas of what he has had but generally unless were out and about eating in a pub or something (which isnt often) he will have boring things like cheese spread sarnie, jam on bread, plain potatoe, veg, pasta which I would think was bland but he seems to love it so....

Hope this helps

Hey Emmy,

When I was doing lots of research into BLW, I put together a list of finger foods taken from various posts on this forum.

Here is is-:

Ricecakes and mashed avocado/homemade houmous/bean spread/philly/dairylea/tuna
Pumpkin bread and mashed avocado/homemade houmous/bean spread/philly/dairylea/tuna
Toasted pitta with and mashed avocado/homemade houmous/bean spread/philly/dairylea/tuna
Wholemeal toast dipped in egg yolk
Tortilla or pitta wraps with fruit spread
Fishsticks/Crabsticks etc
Homemade fishcakes
Fruit – banana/pineapple/mango/strawberries/nectarine/melon pieces and pureed strawberry
Cucumber/Pepper
Lightly steamed carrot/broccoli/sweet potato/asparagus spears/green beans
Roast butternut squash/sweet potato/tomatoes/parsnips – roasted with tiny bit olive oil and some mixed herbs/lemon etc
Dairylea triangle
Rusk
Turkey or chicken balls
Felafel
Boiled potatoes
Green beans/broccoli/baby corn and carrots in garlic butter
Chicken/steak (bbq’d)
Breadsticks/veg sticks and dips – hummus/nat yoghurt/guacamole/nonspicy salsa/warm cheese sauce
Natural yoghurt

There's undoubtedly more - but this might help.

Valentine Xxx

Thanks girls, I have just used your answers to help me write my shopping list :D

I'll let you know how I get on :)

Eefie absolutely loves tangerines, I cut each segment into 2 or 3 pieces though but he'll eat the whole lot no problem :)

He'll eat ANYTHING

luke loves oranges too the bigger ones, no pips obviously and i try to take off as much as the pith as i can but he would eat the whole lot too, he loves the juice but the faces he pulls are classic!!

also same as above loves broccoli florets, toast is an all time fave, cheese, breadsticks rice cakes with philidelphia, quavers in moderation, strawberies, malted milk biscuits, cheerios are funny!!

I gave her some tangerine, her face was hilarious :lol:

Well, we're not doing too badly, she had Special K for brekkie (after grabbing handfuls of mine last night) which she fed herself with her hands followed by blueberries.

Lunch she had pitta with houmous, but she wouldn't eat it, so I just let her play with it, and I chopped up some cocktail sausages, and she loved that!

I spoon fed her tea cos it was cottage pie followed by yoghurt :wink:

I took some piccies, so will upload a few over the weekend, gonna take pics of her feeding herself new things as we go.

christopher wont eat cheese if i give him chunks of it but he will eat loads if i give him grated cheese in a dish :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back