r exercise affect on fertility

Alexis2017

Reaction score
Looking to start back on my work outs post xmas grazing. I don't do loads but I tent do do some HIT stuff every night, abs and then I have went back to horse riding (also cycle too)

I've read that exercise can be a negative thing when ttc.... like to wjat point as I am wanting to get started but at same time I don't want to if it effects ttc as been trying 1 year now !

Thanks for any help in advance

Exercise is good for ttc just don't go over the top with it obviously I'd your doing too much it will have a bad effect.
Have you been to the Drs?

Yeah been to gp for ovulation bloods and SA and assisted conception clinic for hsg test so far all normal. Going back on 30th to discuss next steps

Moderate exercise is good for ttc but not intensive exercise. Sounds like what youre doing is ok. I think it helps to destress too and help you to feel more positive. Healthy body healthy mind and all that! X

Think Melly’s right. I remember reading somewhere that moderate exercise is ok, something that makes you sweat a bit is alright but not anything intensive that would cause pain afterward. Apparently it can be disruptive to ovulation. It was something about your body going into repair mode to heal itself after your workout so it doesn’t prioritise the baby making stuff.

No idea how accurate it really was but I suppose it kind of made sense! I’ve read up about exercise and ttc and everything does seem to think it’s ok to do a bit. Especially as in some cases it can make you fitter and healthier so more likely to make you more fertile.

Was previously trying to use it as an excuse to not go the gym though lol. I just do some light cardio but that’s it.

The general advice is that if it's something your body is used to, then it shoudn't pose problems. If you take up something new, then it can distrupt your cycle. Generally most women can carry on with their existing exercise routines during pregnancy - but its recommended to do lower weight/ higher rep weight training and less intensive on the HIIT.

I got a bit concerned about this when I first came of bcp because my cycle were sooo long. When i did a bit of Dr Googling, I came across quite a few forums and blogs on the issue. If your bmi/fat percent is too low or you're going too far with exercise, you end up not ovulating, and the threshold of 'too much exercise is different for everyone. I was doing a lot of heavy cardio and not really eating enough - have started to be kinder to myself since!

I think if your bloods are normal and you're def ovulating, then your current routine is fine.

And agree with others that it's a fine balance, since exercise is also a great stress relief

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back