question about nationality / ethnicty passed to baby from 2 different backgrounds?

LucyAnn

Reaction score
Hiya. My lil bro and his partner are expecting their first baby wohooooo:dance:

He is UK / English. and his girlfriend is Polish, born in Poland but has lived and worked here for 5 years so is classed as a british resident. soon she can even apply for an english passport and drivers licence but will have to pass a test on british history and pay 500 quid:shock::shock:

But my bro is asking what the baby will be classed as. Bit confused with ethnicity and nationality tags.

So baby will be born and live here, so is that UK nationality but 50% english and 50% polish ethnicity...???

confused.com:whistle: xxxx

If baby is born here will be British, but if your parents are from 2 different places I think you might be able to apply for dual citizenship. Not sure if that's still the case or not!

xx

If the baby is born here it will be British. Some countries allow for dual nationality and some countries don't. I don't know if Poland does or doesn't. If Poland do allow dual nationality and the Mother becomes British she may well still have a Polish passport so the baby could then also become Polish too.

yeah the baby will be british nationality but could also apply for a polish passport and i think dual nationality. like me i was born here but my parents are goan. so i could get a dual nationality too. and my oh is portugese so i dunno how its gonna work with leo x

Yep anyone born here will be classed as a British national. Obviously this does not effect the genetic ethnicity of the baby. If the babys mother is a citizen of another country then the baby could possibly apply for dual nationality depending on what the other country allows.

how old is your little bro when was he born and where were your parents born. as children born after 1983 only get there nationality from there parents if there parents were born in uk, they will pass there nationality on to their child and the child will be able to pass onto his/her child . the father needs to be named on childs birth cert though to pass on nationality

my oh is italian, and our lo was born in italy. he got his italian birth certificate right away and we applied to the embassy in rome to firsty register him british and get a british bc. paid about 180 in total i think. we now live in the Uk and have just apples for lo's first british passport as his italian one has expired (only last a year) i think that your brothers baby can be registed with the polish embassy here in the uk too in order to get polish passport? due to ur bro being british they can get british bc right away. sorry if i have rambled lol! i looked on the internet to get all the correct information, and also called the british embassy for clarification! x

Last edited:
My mums English, dads Turkish so im 50% English and 50% Turkish. I was born here and he has dual nationality and lived in England from when he was 18 and has now retired to his property out there at 68!! But he did inform consulate of marriage and birth as I think I may be able to be dual citizen too and hold a Turkish passport possibly but I never looked into it Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back