I really haven't a clue about this baby thing!!

amandapanda

Reaction score
I know I'm pregnant, although with no bump and very few symptoms sometimes even that feels like a fantasy, lol.

But the practicalities of actually having a baby? I really have no clue!! I have just been looking at the Mothercare website at newborn stuff and find it so confusing!! What is the difference between a sleepsuit a babygro and a bodysuit?? :wall2: Why do I need muslin bloomin squares??? Are they just for when baby is sick? If so I understand but some are packs of 5 and some are packs of 50!!! Do I really need 50 of em??? How much do I buy before baby is born and how much do I leave till after when I know the sex and how big it is??? Buggies/Prams/Travel Systems? I haven't a clue!!

Don't even get me onto maternity leave, finances, working the finances of returning to work vs cost of childcare - I've told my employers I'll probably come back 3 days per week but it's a total guess - maybe the cost of childcare will mean it's not cost effective? How much is Child Tax Credit? I guess you don't know until after baby is born and you apply!

Am I crazy? I know shopping for baby is meant to be so exciting but whenever I look into it I get really stressed and just put it off for another month or so! So far all I have is one baby bodysuit, lol. Well at least I know my baby won't be naked, lol.

Can anyone recommend a good book that tells me all this stuff? (and also how to raise a bloomin baby, I have no clue about that either!!!) I really want my baby to have a proper routine from birth but don't even know how often they feed or anything! I really do need the idiots guide to having a baby!!

Go onto pampers website. They have a list of items for baby and how much of everything you'll need etc. I think I have about 20 Muslins just because that's what everyone says I will need a lot of lol. And I've stocked up on nappies and vests in newborn and 0-3. So there is plenty for you to buy my friend! Just get the full body sutmit things, I've got quite a few of then with feet. And ithink they are all the same lol. As for travel system, I got one that has carseat, carry cot and normal pushchair all different attachments. It's called the graco symbio if you wanted to look at it! Got it from babies r us. As long as your baby is fed, warm and loved, all the gimicky stuff doesn't matter. Lol. Get about 8 blankets I reckon, I've got like 10 lol. X

Im the same as you Amanda, i do panic sometimes that i have no clue what i need and what i need to arrange such as applying for child benefit and stuff. I also have no idea if im going back to work after and if so full or part time!

...i have loads of pregnancy and birth books too so theres really no excuse for me not to know lol.

I figure ill spend my maternity leave swatting up on being a mummy!! x

Awww hun I remember feeling exactally the same with my son....don't feel bad none of us come with all this stuff already known...

From what I remember babygros and sleepsuits are the same thing....only some are for day and some are for night....however with alot of them you can't tell if they are day or night lol

Bodysuits are basically vests

As for muslin cloths they can be used when winding baby to stop you getting your clothes sicky - very handy if you just got dressed to go out! Or you can use them as bib type things for baby....how many you need depends on how baby is and how often you are going to be washing. Do you NEED them? Prob not but they come in handy - 20 I would think would be more than enough!

How much you buy before baby is born totaly depends on you - just remember when you are buying things that people you know may buy things for baby to when he/she is here. If this is the case you may end up with way more than you need and baby will actually wear.

Don't worry about buggies hun they are for toddler type age children. They have a basic frame and are small and compact - not alot of padding and they do not lie flat as they are for older children.
Prams are more of the older type with a carrycot - a popular make is Silvercross.
Travel systems (as Flexi pointed out) are more versitile(Spelling?) They come with a padded buggie type seat that will lie almost flat as they are made from baby up to toddler - they also have a car seat which will clip on to the top of them securely making it easy to get baby in and out of the car without waking them or on and off the bus (if like alot of buses here they are not the ones you can just push the pushchair on)

As for maternity we are all entitled to the same thing - however when you take your maternity and when you go back is a very personal thing....maybe speak with your midwife to help sort out what would suit you and your circumstances.

Don't worry hun, baby will let you know when it's hungry, wet, wants a cuddle or had wind!

Did you have any luck with the pampers website that Flexi gave?

Please don't stress hun xx

By the way the statement below is very very true!!!

As long as your baby is fed, warm and loved, all the gimicky stuff doesn't matter.

It sounds cleche and crap but it will come to you. How to look after baby, how to handle things, what to do, it all just 'happens' Animals read no books or get no advice yet they just 'know' how to do it. Relax, stop stressing and let it happen. Half the crap in mothercare you can totally live without. I have 3 kids and have never owned a muslin square. Nail clippers are a must, baby baths are a waste of money (just buy one of them shaped sponges that go in a normal bath), a bouncer or swing is useful, and cotton wool, scratch mitts and all in one suits (baby grows/sleep suits) are a must. A decent buggy/pram that fits your life style is a god send so take your time over choosing that.

Don't let all the coice confuse you because most of it is just giimicks. Oh get loads of blankets coz babies tend to dirty things quickly and blankets are important for keeping them warm, your important for making them loved and fed and thats all you need! There are no rights and wromgs in raising kids, just make the baby happy xx

I totally agree!! I spent our first weeks pretty stressed out because we weren't doing things by all the guidelines and whatnots. But our wee boy is happy, growing well and loved! We probably have 30+ muslins because our wee man is so sicky, but the basics are fine until you know what you are looking for. Are you near a 24 hour supermarket? If it's an essential it's usually stocked! Relax, enjoy your pregnancy!

Lol, I had to read this and reply!

I think im still in denial about having a baby - STILL doesnt seem real.
My first trip to mothercare (only a few weeks ago), and I am now highly confused about baby suits, baby gros, and sleep suits - they all look the same! And then I started to panic about what a baby actually wears in May - I think its becuase all of the cute little outfits are in for winter, and im thinking 'my baby wont need a coat in May! Poor thing, I havent got a clue!

I did go to babies r us and pick our pram though - think it sounds really similar to the one flexilexi has.

I have just been given about 20 muslin cloths, but I didnt know what to do with them!

You are not alone - truly! xxxx

Oh Hun, don't worry I still feel like that! I have got quite a fee things together now but I know I'm going to worry that I haven't got everything when he is here! Although I have been told not to buy too much before Christmas, I have a feelig all the women of my family have got together to discuss what I need lol!
But the main thing I worry about aswell, is how do I know what to do when he is here? I'm going to be a single mum, but at least my parents dont live too far away!
XxX

well no one can be as bad as I was when i had my 1st, my mum bought the pram it had carry cot with it which i used for a bed and ex's mum bought the cot, my mum bought loads of stuff for me she kept saying have you got this have you got that and my reply was always no lol. well the day after my waters were trickling my mum took me out for lunch then asked me if I had my bag packed my reply again was no, she asked me if i had sanitry towels i was like no what do i need them for, breastpads no again why do i need them, nappies again no so my mum took me to boots and we got all the bits ineeded, my waters went properly that night and along came baby, thankgoodness for my mum, i would like to say i was 20 at the time and lived with my ex, and i managed just fine he is 14 now and a very normal teenager. when you read all these things in the books i just got more confused, i have never used a muslim square yet if i winding them over my shoulder i usually place bottom of bib over my shoulder. babygro and sleepsuits are same thing, and bodysuits are vests, why they cant just say babygro and vests. so dont panic noone can be as bad as i was and i am on my 6th now, i still am not an expert all babies are different and we are always learning, my advice would be clothes, food and be clean are priority to baby aswell as love and you wont go far wrong

Im the same, :( and scared stiff I am going to do it wrong :( btw I notice muslin squares are about the same size as tea towels, can you use tea towles ad you get a lot more teat towels for your money than muslins :lol:

we do when we run out Rosa, but they don't dry very quickly, the Muslin squares dry in no time!!

its so scary but as everyone says, it comes naturally, and you will learn with your baby! ive got 12 musslins and 1 night i ran out as Noa was very sick but i would say they are very handy n that 12 is enough for me anyway. i bought mine in asda, not expensive x noa is 4 weeks and is just growin in to his newborn stuff so perhaps buy 1 or 2 sets of tiny baby just in case (again, asda is cheap) what u need most of i would say is pjs (about 8 in newborn size is just about enough for us), few blankets in deferent materials n thickness and loads of nappies! dont worry about all the bathing products, u dont need it, water, cottonwool and a suducream is more then enough.

also stock up on washing tablets/powder when its on offer cuz i wash 1-3 maschines a day n go trough loads n its expensive!

xxxxx

Awww thanks ladies you have all been a big help! I tend to swing wildly from being cool and chilled 'it'll all be ok everything will come together naturally' to panicky and stressed 'Oh my God I haven't a clue!!'

Your answers have really helped to clarify the whole sleepsuit/babygro/bodysuit/muslin square situation - thanks!! Have seen some adorable unisex ones on the Next website - I got quite excited for once! Went a bit gaga over sweet little booties and socks and mitts too so it's all good!

Isobel has mentioned something I am also not sure about - what size clothes to buy?? Newborn or 0-3 months? Guess a bit of both? I don't think my baby will be tiny as it's daddy is 6ft 5 and they have already commented at the 12 week scan that it has long legs!! :shock: I don't want to waste alot of money kitting out a whole wardrobe in one size only to find it doesn't fit!

I am definitely thinking of getting a travel system, seems to have everything covered....just need to decide which one but will leave that till later on as I have absolutely no storage space in my tiny flat.

Thanks again, I'm gonna just stop worrying and buy a few essential bits and bobs but not go overboard until baby is here. xx

I totally freaked out the other day when a girl i know on facebook posted that her pram had been delivered (she is due 2 weeks before me). I couldnt believe she was so organised. I have bought nothing, i attempted to buy a wee baby gro set in matalan but my phone got stolen from me at the time of buying so i was too stressed to pay for it lol. Looked at prams online and defo think the travel system is the best way forward. Do any mums know of any car seats though that can be fitted in the car to face forward, as my mum has a 2 seater and she is worried she wont be able to take baby anywhere in the car?? And cos there is an airbag a rear facing seat cant be used. I cant wait to start buying stuff and getting nursery ready, but i did get panicky on mothercare website with all the bits and bobs they say you need. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back