question about bottles and breatfeeding

I also can understand what you said Cassi. I don't think Budge meant anything by it. But I to struggled with BF and then felt bad because I knew breast was best. But it is only best if you can do it.
To original poster I would see how you go - you can always get some bottles later if you feel the need (most supermarkets stock them on a 24 hour basis if you get really desperate.)

I have also found it hard on here as like Cassi I struggled with b/f for weeks. Maddie didn't put any weight on for 6 weeks (in fact she lost 6 oz of her birth weight) and after 6 weeks the HV said I needed to start topping up with formula.

People who b/f successfully sometimes assume that it is a medical certainty that all women can breastfeed and that it's just a matter of perseverence and getting the baby to latch on correctly - this can make you feel like more of a failure.

I found it hard coming on here when I was having problems feeding Maddie as 12 months ago I found there was very little support available on this website for people like me who were not succeeding with b/f. My HV had said to top up and people on here were outraged. Well, as I said Maddie was only losing weight, and I felt I couldn't ignore the advice of the qualified health professional, so as a result I stopped posting on here for 9 months as I didn't think people on here would understand or agree with my decision.

Cassi - all I can say is I understand how you feel but don't take comments on here personally - they're really not aimed at us bottle-feeders, it's just meant to encourage first time mums to persevere and go for it, and I'm sure it's got a lot of people through. Just remind yourself you tried your best, and in the end you did what was the best for your baby.

Regarding the original question of bottles, I think it's liberating being able to express milk and let DH/OH feed the baby occasionally, and the books I read on breastfeeding advocate expressing milk in order to increase your milk supply, so if this were my first time around I'd definitely get a couple of bottles and an breast pump. As I already have all the stuff and plan to try b/f again this time around, I don't need to buy anything new.

I also agree with Claire - I wouldn't bother with a steriliser to start with - I found a sauce pan was fine - I then started using my steam cuisine (well I'd certainly never used it for cooking :rotfl: )

I hope my post doesn't offend anyone - I'm full of admiration towards all mums who have been able to continue b/f successfully (and probably a little jealousy too if I'm honest). I will certainly be trying again second time around.

LBxx

I'm gonna give bf my best shot, and will get some bottles in to express some milk so DF can feed her occassionally or for if we're going visiting the inlaws or whatever.

Tommy tippee have some 'breast & bottle' bottles (pr something like that), that are recommended for bf'ers as the tip reflexs like a nipple ans is supposed to be as similiar to the breast as can be, so it is an easy transaction for baby, I think I'm gonna invest in some of them. Think they were about £5.49 for 2 in ASDA when I looked at them yesterday, but I'm gonna shop around and see if they are better priced elsewhere.......I'll let you know.

I have tommie tippie and shall be trying them out next week as im having OH do a feed with her as hes dying to do it.

I shall let you all know what she makes of them

littlebump said:
12 months ago I found there was very little support available on this website for people like me who were not succeeding with b/f. My HV had said to top up and people on here were outraged.

That's terrible :( Where is the thread you're talking about? I've had a look and can only find this one

:(

littlebump said:
I have also found it hard on here as like Cassi I struggled with b/f for weeks. Maddie didn't put any weight on for 6 weeks (in fact she lost 6 oz of her birth weight) and after 6 weeks the HV said I needed to start topping up with formula.

People who b/f successfully sometimes assume that it is a medical certainty that all women can breastfeed and that it's just a matter of perseverence and getting the baby to latch on correctly - this can make you feel like more of a failure.

I found it hard coming on here when I was having problems feeding Maddie as 12 months ago I found there was very little support available on this website for people like me who were not succeeding with b/f. My HV had said to top up and people on here were outraged. Well, as I said Maddie was only losing weight, and I felt I couldn't ignore the advice of the qualified health professional, so as a result I stopped posting on here for 9 months as I didn't think people on here would understand or agree with my decision.

Cassi - all I can say is I understand how you feel but don't take comments on here personally - they're really not aimed at us bottle-feeders, it's just meant to encourage first time mums to persevere and go for it, and I'm sure it's got a lot of people through. Just remind yourself you tried your best, and in the end you did what was the best for your baby.

Regarding the original question of bottles, I think it's liberating being able to express milk and let DH/OH feed the baby occasionally, and the books I read on breastfeeding advocate expressing milk in order to increase your milk supply, so if this were my first time around I'd definitely get a couple of bottles and an breast pump. As I already have all the stuff and plan to try b/f again this time around, I don't need to buy anything new.

I also agree with Claire - I wouldn't bother with a steriliser to start with - I found a sauce pan was fine - I then started using my steam cuisine (well I'd certainly never used it for cooking :rotfl: )

I hope my post doesn't offend anyone - I'm full of admiration towards all mums who have been able to continue b/f successfully (and probably a little jealousy too if I'm honest). I will certainly be trying again second time around.

LBxx

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I really really struggled with breastfeeding for absolutely ages, had probs with my milk coming in, blood blisters and very sore nipples, fussy baby, mastitis, thrush etc so I was very glad to have some bottles in. Breastfeeding does come easily to some but to a lot of people it doesn't, and sadly whilst the government are happy to push the breast is best message they are not so forthcoming with ensuring there is adequate support and training for HV's and midwives. It makes my blood boil when I hear a HV suggesting a bottle of formula at night. Also frequent feedings and fussy babies are normal, you are producing enough milk, its just that in the fiorst 6 weeks especially they are getting your supply up and having growth spurts. I would advise making sure you have the dretails of the breastfeeding support lines on here and use the breastfeeding support thread as they will be able to tell you things that your HV doesn't know. HV's and midwives have very little training on breastfeeding, breastfeeding counsellers get a lot more.

I think the reason why there is no "support" for bottlefeeding is because to be honest there is a lot out there. Most people on here have used bottles. As for the support in those struggling I hope the breastfeeding thread can help. I have not seen many comments that are there to make people feel bad, when I was struggling and introducing formula I too felt like a failure but no-one was ever nasty to me. I have seen threads though where people who have stopped have recieved supportive posts. I don't think anyone breastfeeding mum on here feels better then anyone else, they just want to help those mums who are having difficulties same as anyone else on this forum.

Will climb off soapbox now sorry.

I'm the same as LondonerClaire, I chose not to with my twinnies.

I felt that it would have been too demanding and I didn't like the idea.

However, I'm 8 years older now and I'm having one so I'm going to give it a shot, simply it's free and available.

If it doesn't work then it doesn't work...

I have already got some bottles and a steriliser as I hope to express and I won't be adversed to topping up with formula if I find he wants more than I can offer.

I also found that it's also a bonding for father and baby too last time so I am hoping to express in order for my OH to be able to help and get myself a good night sleep occasionally may I add :wink:

urchin said:
That's terrible :( Where is the thread you're talking about? I've had a look and can only find this one]

OMG I'd totally forgotten that post - it was so strange reading it now after a year!! But it does kind of demonstrate my point - I was depressed at the time, in tears more than once a day, but I only got two replies! Now as Beanie says there is a b/f support thread. In addition, there are more members and the forum is more open now which is definitely a positive thing.

In my case, I do think that the evening bottle was the beginning of the end for me, and I think the amount of pressure women can put themselves under to succeed can be counter-productive as far as milk production goes. Prior to me having Maddie there seemed to be a lot of posts about b/f and how much better breastmilk is - I always remember reading one which said breastmilk was like a nutritious meal of chicken and vegetables whereas formula was like a plateful of fish and chips (I interpreted that to mean it fills you up but is devoid of any nutrition!). I started out with really high expectations - I was so desperate to succeed that the stress alone no doubt hindered my supply.

Also our local NCT breastfeeding counsellor who gave a talk during our antenatal class was hopeless - her view was that all b/f problems were down to baby not latching on correctly, therefore when I was failing I didn't feel inclined to get in touch with her again. All in all a crap experience. Still you learn from it and move on - in my case I have a much better idea of what to expect next time and I won't feel under as much pressure to 'succeed'. I'm also less sensitive than I was about the whole thing, but my heart goes out to all mums like Cassi who tried and in the end had to give up - I just want to give them a hug and say 'I understand what you are going through and you're not a failure.'

Ah well now it's me who's going on so I'll shut up now!! Hugs to everyone. Cloud9 - hope your question's been answered!!

LBxx

littlebump said:
urchin said:
That's terrible :( Where is the thread you're talking about? I've had a look and can only find this one]

OMG I'd totally forgotten that post - it was so strange reading it now after a year!! But it does kind of demonstrate my point - I was depressed at the time, in tears more than once a day, but I only got two replies!

Awww sorry I didn't mean to upset you, I was just looking for the outrage :oops:

Anyway, as it's been said, there is a lot more support on the forum now, I just hope that people that choose to bottlefeed don't feel bad seeing BFers get support, I guess it's always going to be a touchy subject on the forum and there's not a lot we can do about that, as it's such an emotional subject for such a lot of people. :(

urchin said:
I just hope that people that choose to bottlefeed don't feel bad seeing BFers get support, I guess it's always going to be a touchy subject on the forum and there's not a lot we can do about that, as it's such an emotional subject for such a lot of people. :(

I agree - the support that you guys give is essential for people trying to b/f - as I said in my earlier post I'm sure it's got some people through. I think I'd feel a lot more confident coming on here in the future with b/f questions.

I dont feel like i was unfair to budge, i was upset that people will still say breastfeeding IS simple when the fact is for alot of people it isnt...before i had Jakob i kept reading, bf'ing comes natrually, its simple and that didnt help cause what a shock i got when i realised the reality of it!

Maybe for some people it is "So simple" But not everyone....

When i come on here and read a post "dont buy any bottles bf'ing is SO simple" when i couldnt even manage it myself after 10 weeks of trying, how do you think that makes me feel? Like a complete utter idiot who cant even master something apparently "so simple".

So i apologise if i was unfair, but i dont think so. It wasnt an attack on budge, however just the comment made...budge always preaches saying what you think so im sure she will understand
:) :)

Cas xx

i have bottles and a sterlizer just in case, but at the moment i am going to keep an open mind and give it my best shot at BF'ding. if it mdoesn't work then i won't beat myself up about it.

I didn't think I was worried about it, other than the privacy or lack of with it all but I keep dreaming about it. It's easy in my dream one minute then pouring out like a tap the next and I can't stop it. :shock:

Londoner Claire said:
I didn't think I was worried about it, other than the privacy or lack of with it all but I keep dreaming about it. It's easy in my dream one minute then pouring out like a tap the next and I can't stop it. :shock:

I was really worried about privacy and how I would feel around other people, Me and OH live with his parents ( big house with lots of room thank god)
And I was really upset that I would have to feed infront of them and felt uncomfortable about it and started panicking becuase I thought she would be feeding every 5 mins.

Thats not the case, I go up to our room and feed her and then come back down again, I do my own thing while grandma looks after her, its worked out much better than I thought.

I still wont feed in front of anyone apart from OH at the moment, still dont feel confident about it, but thats my problem im not going to let it get in the way of bfeeding her :D

sorry if this is too late but i would advise to get some cheap ones, i wanted to breast feed emma but in the end had to bottle feed her its better to be prepared

I have got the tomme tippee steriliser with free bottles as a gift from mum incase I can't bf. I can always sell it on if I don't use it. I hope I can but will keep an open mind. I can see why it is a sensitive subject and I will be very upset if it doesn't work for me I know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back