Puppy and Pregnancy?

I'm sorry I'm going to be negative as well, I have seen so many people around me who get puppies and then when the baby is born they decide that having a young dog and a baby is too much hard work and they then get rid of it, this makes me so angry that not enough thought has gone into what would be involved in raising a child and trying to train a dog, I have 2 dogs, a German shepherded and a bichon both now 4 and currently are my world, however I know I would not coped with them both and a baby if they were younger, they were hard work in the beginning.

I agree with everyone else, I just don't think it's a good idea. Xx

I have a 11 month old puppy.. He will be 15 months when baby is born.. He's still not properly trained. He's quite behaved but he's quite rough with play etc & stubborn sometimes.. But I'm confident in him that he will be fine with a child.. He loves children! Infact I think he thinks he is one. He's only a shih tzu though..
I don't know if its a good idea, I wouldn't have bought a pup I knew I would be pregnant now.

Puppy's are exactly like babies and very hard work! :)
But all dogs are different :)
So I personally don't think it's a good idea, but if you think you can cope and keep the dog for life etc then
Again it's up to you :)
Sorry for negativeness
X

Last edited:
I wouldn't personally think that it's a good idea, we have two terriers, one who is three and one who has just turned one. The three year old has just started to calm down but the youngest one is still a puppy really and he behaves like it, is a nightmare really, stealing clothes, chewing stuff etc, he is definatly not fully trained yet! Luckily for us both of the dogs stop outside in a large kennel and run for most of the day, can't even imagine trying to cope with both of them and a newborn! They need two walks a day and I know when the baby comes I won't be able to do that, oh has a large family that live near by that are going to help out with the dogs. Sorry for another negative post!

Hi hun. I'm all for dogs too, we've got two in our house (an English Bulldog who is 5 and a Chug who is 1). I wouldn't say buying a pup at the same time as having a baby is a good idea, but only because I think it will bring a lot of stress to you (I know it would me - this is baby number one for me too!). We got our Chug a year ago and he is house trained now, but I'm still going to keep him away from the baby when it comes as he is very excitable and bouncy. I just remember having to give LOTS of time to him when he was younger as they just want attention all the time when you're trying to train them, so I think when you have a baby that you're looking after it may cause more stress than enjoyment. Maybe you could wait until your bubs is a bit older and then get a pup?

Of course it's your decision but that's just my thoughts :) xx

Hey everyone :) Thanks for all the replies and I really appreciate the help. After talking about it with OH and discussing it thoroughly we have decided to no longer get a puppy...yet :)

We are going to wait until the baby is born and older, between the ages of 6 months-2 years, see what happens :)

It was a silly idea from the start, I think my hormones are just getting the best of me and I thought a dog would be great protection for my family and I'd have a puppy to "mother" while pregnant. Nesting I think this is called :lol:

Thank you all again! Instead me and OH are focusing on moving instead, from a 2 bedroom upstairs flat to a two bedroom house. xxx

Great ideas there :) espically as your in a flat aswell- you'll need a garden for pup :) xx

Think you made the right choice. I have a pup who's gonna be one this week. We got him as we were told that we had a very small chance of conceiving! I'm starting to worry how I will cope as my hubby works away quite a bit of the year too. I will never leave the baby anywhere near the dog tho unsupervised. U just never know what might happen. :shock: x

Good idea! Rotties aren't small dogs and would be hard in a flat. Teddy (my shih tzu) it's not so bad but toilet training involves so much running up and down the stairs to the communal gardens haha! :)
Good luck getting a house! X

I don't see the problem in it personally providing you are confident in your training ability. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I've got friends who waited to get a pet when until their child was a toddler and they didn't have chance for the pet to settle in because the little one was jealous. The same child is brilliant with my 2 dogs who have been around her since birth. I am very mindful of the fact that the dogs can bite either intentionally as protection or accidentally when surprised/scared so for that reason I would never leave the child in the room with them without being there and if the dog did start to get excited then I could separate them (never had to do it yet). Good luck in whatever you choose to do but just remember just because you trust your dog doesn't mean they won't bite xx

I would also encourage you to rescue a dog! Far too many doggies in centres so when you do look into this, please consider rescuing! they do assessments on dogs and some are dropped off by people wjo are moving away etc and have children so dogs are used to themx

Ditto to what iWitch said :) I have a rescue dog and I am also a homechecker for various dog rescues (I go to people's houses and help the rescue match the right dog to the right home or foster) and there are so many homeless dogs (including pups) out there which may otherwise get pts. x

Last edited:
I rescued a dog from a centre- had a home check and all that process- it was our ideal match apparently

Put down 3 months later for an u provoked attack on my friend who had to have surgery on her arm- friend who the dog had met dozens of times- we were sat in my back garden- you'll never know the full extent of a rescue dogs history- can you trust that dog not knowing how its been brought up?

Stuck with cats like I should have to begin with

I would love to rescue a dog as OH mother has rescue dogs, however just like Mummybexee said you don't know the dogs history and they can become unpredictable, especially big breeds. I'd rather I raised it from a puppy, in the future when my older I'd rescue a dog, but as for a small child not a great idea personally for me. xxx

I think there's a big misconception about rescue dogs being problematic. Sorry you had to go through what you did with your dog Mummebexe, that's awful, but I think episodes like that are the minority. My rescue dog was very badly treated, beaten and burned with cigarrettes and he's the most loving sweetest thing. You could still rescue a puppy though AngelLily?xxx

Last edited:
I went to the dog and cat shelter and they had beautiful miniature greyhound puppies! :D I wanted one so badly but they were all taken. I always pop into the cat and dog shelter and give the odd donation once in a while. I might pop back next year to see if I can rescue a young dog.

My OH's mothers rescue dogs are lovely! Bill is great with kids, not so good with other dogs but very friendly. Ben was a rescue puppy and just a big baby :lol: She'd had plenty of rescue dogs and out of all of them, only 2 were bad and turned. The rest were great! xxx

Last edited:
Aww I'd love to rescue a greyhound one day. I bet the pups get snapped up, gotta be quick eh? Whatever you end up doing hope it all works out xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back