should i get a male or female puppy?

clairescunny55

Reaction score
i'm going to look at some chihuahua puppies tomorrow and was wondering which sex you think would be best? From dogs in our family, males seem to be a bit more hyper. Is this true in all breeds?

Fors and againsts with either :D
I foster males if i have too but would never keep one (my own choice) i cant stand it when willy comes out for a wash it makes me feel sick, plus every one i have had has cocked its leg against my furniture but i know thats because my 2 are girls.
As for the hyper bit or affectionate bit i think they are what you make them.
Just one small point it is cheaper to get a male dog done than it is a female.

hubby wouldn't get a male dog - I thought it was stupid having had male dogs in the past but in all honesty now I would alway's get a bitch rather than a dog.

I have a male and a female dog. The male is so well behaved. Never messes in the house unless he really has to. Molly on the other hand. I wake up to both forms of mess on the floor, every morning pretty much. She is so frigging bouncy. And frankly, i swear she's not all there! She has so much energy it's unreal, but that comes with her breed with is Lurcher. So i expect all breeds are different. They are pretty much what you train them!
Unfortunately with Molly, she was poisoned last year so i think it has affected her brain.

There's pros and cons with either - think the girlies tend to be more excitable but the boys can tend to be more possesive.

We have one of each and neither is more trouble than the other - both equally nuts!

bitches are more easier to toilet train IMO then dogs, but I prefer the way dogs are more protective of family. We will get a bitch next time, as we want a litter from her, but Im not sure how Im going to deal with doggy period on cream carpets :rotfl:

We have a male and yes he can be a bit hyper but i think thats more his age tbh.

we've always had spayed bitches rather than dogs... i hate the marking territory thing that males do everywhere... our bitches have been so different in personality - 1 was the quietest loveliest dog, 1 was affectionately nuts and the other was extremely clingy (although she was a rescue dog).

If you plan to breed then get a bitch as you can then just pay someone to use there stud dog.
Some breeds can be more hyper then other but a lot has to do with how there stimulated.
The way a dog behaves really does depend on how you train it, some are harder to train but like humans we all have different characters.
Certain breeds can have certain traits wether it be good or bad but as said above you can train a dog out of most of there bad habits.

Good luck.

Do we get some pics :cheer:

Some info on there tempraments:

The temperament of a Chihuahua should be alert with terrier like qualities according to the AKC standard. One of the reasons why the Chihuahua has earned a position as one of the most popular breeds is partly due to its stable temperament. The personality of the sire and dam will help predict the personality of their offspring.

A Chihuahua is usually reserved with strangers. They should not be afraid or aggressive. However, a dam with very young puppies will almost always act aggressive as a means of protecting her offspring. If you visit a litter of Chihuahua when they are very young, and witness an aggressive dam, revisit when the litter is older.

Obedience or agility titles on the pedigree indicate obedient ancestors and also breeders who care about temperament.

You want your Chihuahua to live as a housedog and companion. Choose puppies raised in a home as opposed to those raised in a garage, a cage out back or a mass-production puppy farm.

Hope that helps hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back