Protein in Water

Jendon

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Had my 28 week check today and the midwife said that there was a trace of protein in my urine. Im not stressing or anything and the sample has been sent off for more analysis but I was wondering if anyone knows what is the problem with having protein? she mentioned that I may have the onset of a water infection - is this dangerous for the baby?? I was gonna do some research on the net but usually when doing that you end up getting really anxious!!!

Thanks in advance

Hiya :wave:

A small amount of protein in urine is not cause for concern most of the time but if there is a large amount then it could mean pre-eclampsia. Your MW will also have checked your blood pressure and asked if you have swelling of fingers, feet etc. It may be that the protein indicates a urine infection which will be treated with antibiotics. I have both protein and sugar in my wee and I'm waiting on blood test results due to this :hug:

A water infection cant harm baby but might be more uncomfortable for you :( hope it turns out to be nothing tho :hug:

Protein in the urine can show a few things. It might just be that some vaginal fluid has entered your sample and if that's the case there will be nothing further picked up on the urinalysis. It can also show a urine infection which can be treated by anti-biotics. Lastly, if there's a lot of protein it can indicate the kidneys aren't functioning well and that might be a sign of early pre-eclampsia.

I've had my urine sent off 3 times for extra analysis this pregnancy. Only once it came back with a simple infection and I was prescribed anti-biotics for that.

Try not to worry too much about it. Just give the GP a ring in a week or so for the results.

:hug:

Im sure it will all be fine! They usually amount to nothing, though if your blood pressure isd higher then normal and you have had some swellimg it could be pre eclampsia.
But dont worry to much the results you will get back asap

yeah, if you have bacteria in your urine, they will be the ones producing the protein. If it is a UTI it can be cleared up safely with antibiotics.

If it's not a UTI and not vaginal fluid contamination, it could be that you have a small amount of kidney damage and that they are letting some protein out of your blood into your urine. But this is the least likely scenario. You'd have to be monitored for pre-eclampsia but generally, lifestyle changes can manage the symptoms of pre-eclampsia pretty well these days.

K.xx

Sorry to interrupt, but what kind of lifestyle changes? I have seen two consultants so far (now 21 weeks) and neither have said what can be done to manage PE if it happens. I'd appreciate any tips. :D

wow! I'm really surprised you've had no advice.

There's no way to prevent pre-eclampsia becasue the problem occurs shortly after conception, but the symptoms can certainly be managed.

I'll check my thesis when I get home and post later on.

xx

KJ, are you in the medical profession? I'm just wondering because you always give good helpful advice :hug:

I'm a doctor by PhD, not medical, but I am currently a cancer research immunologist.

The GPs and midwifes think I'm a nightmare because I always want to know exactly what's going on! When my bloods come back I'm not satisfied with "eveythings ok" I want to know the precise results! I find it all really fascinating now I'm pregnant, because a lot of my scientific experience and research comes in handy.

I'm glad that my advice is helpful, thanks.

K.xx

Don't worry, I am being watched closely, growth/doppler scans every 4 weeks, see consultant every 6 weeks, mw every 2 weeks. But no one has said what will happen if I show any symptoms and they seem reluctant to tell me anything when I ask. It's all 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it', etc.

Last time I had no warning at all as mw had never bothered taking bp. My daughter was delivered the same day that I first had my bp checked. That's why I have no idea about managing it and I'd like to know what I can expect might happen.

Hi

I had it my whole pregnancy with Kiara and the doc wasnt worried .
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back