problems at work !!!!!!

honeybuggles

Reaction score
hi ladies thought i would have a moan on here about work !!!!! and to see if any of you have any advice. A bit of a long story i'm afraid. I currently work at next in the cash office, which is great i really love my job. But i feel as though i am being given no support what so ever. When i first found out i was pregnant i decided to wait for a while before telling my manager. But unfortunatley i started bleeding which meant that i had to tell her. I continued going to work whilst this was happening as mw said nothing can be done just a case of wait and see. Well one day at work the bleeding seemed to get alot worse and of course i began to worry. So my line manger was at lunch i spoke to the store manger and said that i would be going to the hospital as i was so worried. Did all this and thank god the baby was fine (they did a scan as i was about 8 weeks). So i stayed off work for a few days to relax. Well my line manager was fine about this but the store manger moaned saying i was letting the team down. I didn't really take much notice as she can somethimes have her funny digs but the rest of the time she is normally fine. Well how wrong could i be. I began suffering from the worst morning sickness which lasted the whole day no matter what i ate or drank or anything. So one day i was on my way to work with dh and felt awful so asked him to pull over etc which meant that i was 10 mins late for work. So when i arrived she had great pleasure in calling me into her office to have a moan explaining that i was only pregnant not ill. Next day when i finished cashing up which was 10 mins early i went to leave - which is something we have all always done as alot of the time we are late out and this makes uo for it. She demanded that i went back to the office and find myself something to do for the 10 mins. And she did this in front of everyone. This was the start of nasty comments etc. Alot of things have happened to many for me to go into on here, silly things really but things that are really starting to get to me and things that other people are beginning to notice. So to finish the story- sorry iif i'm going on a bit !!!! When i was about 16 weeks i had a sort of fit i couldn't breathe, pains in my chest and just felt awful. I was taken into hospital and had tests but they couldn't find a reason. So i went back to work next day as normal but in my job i have to push a large trolley with 7 tills in it al a time which to be honest is really quite heavy. Because of what happened i was due to have a risk assesment at work which has nevr happened and i am now 27 weeks pregnat and until Monday i have still been doing normal duties of pushing and lifting the tills. Which is getting difficult because of back ache and my bump !!!! So unfortunately i collapsed in homebase about 3 weeks ago with the same thing was in hopspital for 2 days but again they aren't sure why. So the latest thing is that i was signed off on Monday with pregnancy complication for a week. I have just phoned and spoke to my kine manager who is lovely and has supported me but is always being told to tell me off by the nasty store manager, and was told that basically i was over reacting and when would i be returnng to work.
The worst thing in all of this is that i was full time and when i told work i was pregnant my hours were given to someone else and i was offered part time or nothing so i took the part time, which i am grateful for now but means my maternity pay will be rubbish etc.
Sorry to drag on ladies but felt like i needed to get all that off my chest .
Thank you for listening

lucy and bumo

27 weeks

I'm so sorry you are aving such a shit tme hun.

Corect me if I'm wrong - but reducing your hours just coz you are pregnant and told part-time or nothing is illegal isn't it? I'd have a word with a solicitor and see what you can do sweetheart - you may be entitled to something.

Sorry I can't help more xx

They are not allowed to cut your hours or sack you because you are pregnant, go to citizens advice and see what they say.

you've got to think of yours and the babys health if i were you i would refuse to pick up the tills and push them about, has your store manager got kids?

i agree. cutting your hours is illegal unless they can think of a suitable reason other then ur preg. and u should still have the same hours and same role but the risky work i.e lifting should be done by someone else according to health and safty WITHOUT any interferance with your role, pay or hours. it should be automatic. i got better care when i worked in macdonalds when i fell preg the first time!!

sorry your going through this hun, i think you should speak to citizens advice sweety call directry inquiries n get their main line number xx

That does sound well out of order i have to agree with everyone else and to echo everyone i think there are laws preventing this sort of thing from happening, being discriminated against just because you are pregnant is unacceptable!! Sorry your having to go thru all of this when you should be enjoying your pregnancy. Hope you get something sorted hun. Keep us posted :)

Agree with everyone else they are treating you awfully - its bad enough having to cope with all these things without having someone bitching at you for it. You need support, not bloody insults! Stupid cow :evil:
Wonder if she has 'issues' she may be dealing with right now? Anyway as suggested please get some legal advice and let us know how you get on - good luck and give the bitch a slap from me! :D

LOL 0verthemoon I was so wanting to say something about her bosses issues!! And i love the bit where you tell her to "give the bitch a slap" nearly wet myself hehehe [/quote]

I would write to the store manager saying that you would like a risk assessment done asap. It is their legal obligation. Maybe point out in a nice way to your line manager that if anything happens to you or the baby before they have done a risk assessment, then they will not be insured for you and you could sue them.

I would also refuse to push the tills until you get your risk assessment done, there is nothing they can do to force you to do it. I work with kids and I can't even lift a baby up anymore, or carry the vacuum. Get it in writing asap and let us know how you get on.

good luck!

In this day and age? That's outrageous - and I know this sounds sexist but to see this awful treatment coming from a woman (who you would think would be understanding and compassionate) makes it all the more maddening. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Please do get some advice. I've been to CAB before and they even helped me draft a letter - perhaps they will for you too. Let us know how you get on.

LBxx

hiya ladies thankyou for your advice i will get in touch with citizens advice i think asap. Just to keep you up tp date with whats been happening i phoned work on Wednesday to explain what has been happening. And i was suprised to find out that my job has been given to someone else !!!! i asked my line manager whats going happen when i get back but the reply was i have no idea !!!!!! i have the doctors tomorrow so i will just have to see what he says about going back to work. I am totally annoyed that i have been pushed out like this and i am going to do something about it. I cannot believe that this is happening in what i thought was a respected company i will keep in informed ladies.

lucy and bump x

Lucy, how they are treating you is definately wrong. I've been a victim of discrimination in my workplace and am in the process of taking my ex-employers to court.
You should speak to CAB and also to ACAS. Plus I would see if you are entitled to Legal Aid and speak to a solicitor. Most solicitors will offer you a free 30 minute assessment and will tell you whether you are entitled to help towards legal costs if you use them.
Good luck and keep us informed!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back