Private early scan

Beeble

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just booked myself in for an early scan at a private clinic because I have read so much online about MMC that I have totally spooked myself.

I don't feel pregnant, it has not sunk in yet. I am only tired with tender breasts and occasional cramping. No sickness, no nausea, no frequent urination etc

I am so worried that something will be wrong. Just as I settled myself after booking the scan all this stuff has appeared online about getting a healthy scan at 8 weeks and then getting horrible news at the 12 week mark.

How common is that, getting a healthy 8 week scan and then a bad one at the 12 week mark?

I know I should be taking it in stages - so get my 8 week one done then work towards the 12 week but as a first time pregnancy with no friends who have had babies to compare experience with, I am so scared and worried.

Is the 8 week scan actually worthwhile if so much can go wrong between then and 12 weeks?

Thanks, any advice would be great.

Oh dear hun, you are getting yourself in a bit of a tizz??

Do you have a history of miscarriage?

I would strongly advise that unless you have anything to worry about then you chill out a bit and try to enjoy this.

Not only are you steessing about your early scan but you are also worrying weeks in advance about the 12 week scan? This is no way to live???

I had 3 miscarriages last year and went for an early scan this time at 7 weeks. Finding a HB doesn't guareentee a viable pregnancy but the risks of miscarraige DO drop.

It makes me so sad that so many ladies in Tri 1 ruin what should be a wonderful experience by worrying and stressing about things that could go wrong.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Beeble, I understand- I have been feeling the same- I am 8 weeks with intermittent symptoms, & reading a lot of sad posts recently has spooked me a bit as well.

I have been debating an early scan, but my hubby has talked me out of it for the moment. Another 4 weeks seems to be a long time to wait for a scan though! It's very hard to relax & enjoy things until you have ahd a little reassurance, particularly since the doctor didn't re-test me- everything is based on peeing on a stick a month ago!! :)

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I think this would be more enjoyable if I came from the age of no internet access. As a mainly negative person, reading negative things really play on my mind and forums regarding pregnancy are full of such tragic situations which seem all too common so it really makes me think that the chances of something bad happening are much higher than they are.

I don't have a history of miscarriage, we only started TTC in March, we got a positive result in April but a few days later I started bleeding and cramping and was told I had a chemical pregnancy. I have no idea why it happened all I was told is that most people dont notice that they are pregnant so dont realise they are having a chemical pregnancy, but because we were TTC and tested early we knew that it was being lost.

Tried again in April and got the positive again, I am now coming up for 7 weeks but because of last month it really kicked my confidence. I think if that had not happened I would probably be a lot happier right now but I am just scared. I really want to meet this little bean, it has made me so happy but I can't shake the negative feelings.

There are so many strong people on here such as yourself who just seem so positive despite what has happened in the past. I wish I knew how to stay that positive, one bad start and that's my confidence in baby making abilities gone! Oh dear.

I am booked in for 8 week scan anyway, hope it reassures me and that it is good news. Wish this was not all so complicated though.

xxx

Another 4 weeks seems to be a long time to wait for a scan though! It's very hard to relax & enjoy things until you have ahd a little reassurance, particularly since the doctor didn't re-test me- everything is based on peeing on a stick a month ago!! :)

Tell me about it! My doctor did not test me either, I walked in and said I had a positive pregnancy test, he just said 'congrats' and said he is putting a referral in and then gave me an information pack with a midwife number on it who he told me to call.

Called the midwife, she said its too early and she wont see my till week 10.

I am only coming up for week 7! So to wait 3 weeks to see her and 5 weeks to get my scan at the earliest seems really harsh.

Feel really unguided and on my own with the internet and its horror stories to turn to. Which I know is not healthy!

I hope everything goes well for you, I don't think these early scans are for everyone, I mean if something bad has/is going to happen then there is not much anyone can do anyway but I just want to know where I stand.

I think the idea of a MC is a lot less scary than a MMC because at least you know with a MC - it is the unknown evilness of thinking everything is ok only to find out at a scan that scares the hell out of me.

xx

awww hun *hugs*
You know my history and why I'm haveing a private early scan. So I know where your comming from. Just try to think 1 day at a time.

As long as you don't have any pain or bleeding then your still pregnant ;)

I would trade this pain and worry anyday for a day of no symptoms.

Treat yourself hun to help you relax :)

hiya sorry about ur chemical pregnancy and they are more common than we think as most ladies dont even know they had one,i would advise to try and chill out a bit as thats no gd for u or the baby and i know its hard but please dont worry about lack of symptoms cos i had very strong symptoms all the way to my second scan at 10 weeks and it went wrong so having no symptoms realy doesnt mean anything lovely i thought i was fine cos i had realy strong symptoms,i know waht u mean about the internet and forums and u see all the bad news but that realy is a minority when u think how many pregnant tri 1 ladies there will be in the uk today iykwim do i make sense i hope so lol,if u feel an early scan will calm u down then go for it :) and best of luck for the rest of ur pregnancy xxx

I am the same- midwife called me today, & arranged an appt for two weeks time, which will make me 10 weeks. I guess we just have to remain positive that the medical profession know what they're doing, & that they would insist we saw someone earlier if they though it was necessary. Some days I feel really positive about it all, other days, I just think of all the bad things, & like you, the idea of getting as far as a 12 week scan to find something has gone wrong. Like a lot of the lovely ladies on here, this has happened to a few friends, & whenever I think about the scan, this overtakes the excitement.

However, as my husband keeps telling me, I am healthy, I am taking care of myself, & doing exactly what I should be, so I really cannot do anymore- what will be will be, I guess.

TRy not to stress too much- I expect the next few weeks will fly by. :)

I totally understand how you feel Hun. At 7 weeks I went for an early scan because I felt so anxious. Absolutely everything was ruining what should have been an exciting time from symptom spotting, google, coming in here reading stories and seeing people mc tickers it all built up in my head. Going for the scan really did help and I'm glad I did it but I also just had to learn to cope and try to enjoy things more. As people have said going for the scan and seeing a hb impoves the chances of everything being ok but it doesn't guarantee it. I've had to learn to beat my anxiety and try to look at the exciting things even though it is hard and scary to take that leap of faith it has helped. At the end of the day I'm not doing anything stupid, I'm being healthy so what will be will be. I hope you're feeling better soon hunxx

I totally understand how you feel Hun. At 7 weeks I went for an early scan because I felt so anxious. Absolutely everything was ruining what should have been an exciting time from symptom spotting, google, coming in here reading stories and seeing people mc tickers it all built up in my head. Going for the scan really did help and I'm glad I did it but I also just had to learn to cope and try to enjoy things more. As people have said going for the scan and seeing a hb impoves the chances of everything being ok but it doesn't guarantee it. I've had to learn to beat my anxiety and try to look at the exciting things even though it is hard and scary to take that leap of faith it has helped. At the end of the day I'm not doing anything stupid, I'm being healthy so what will be will be. I hope you're feeling better soon hunxx

Thank you for that :) I will take it a week at a time. Got to get to the 8 week mark and hopefully everything will be ok...will need to keep calm and then make it to the 12 week mark. Hopefully I get good news at the 8 week scan and I will feel a little more relaxed about things.

Is that your 7 week scan picture on your profile pic? Its cute! x

Yes it's the scan pic, a blob and a little beating heart lol x

Ahh ladies, Mc is more common that I thought, stats are 1 in 4 pregnancys are lots to mc.

BUT the most inportant thing to remember, is in that same stat , the odds of a pregnancy that is sucessful will be 3 out of 4 , thats a huge percentage!!!!

I was one of the ladies that had a mmc at 12 weeks in march 2010, and actually I wish I had known that it can happen and it wouldn't have been such a shock at the scan, I would be aware it does happen a few times.

remember this forum is not a mixed topic forum, its pretty much about the pregnancy forum, tri 1 so full of many ladies, all pregnant were going to be showing higher numbers of mc and mmc on here , but Mahoooooosive numbers of tri 1 ladies reaching tri2 just fine , which go more unnotticed.

Please don't worry about some thing that should never happen, it's out of your control, and most importantly try to enjoy your pregnancy even in tri 1 , as it's gone in a flash...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back