Pressured to wean

jennifer1981

Reaction score
...... but im not going to.... :shakehead:

My family and OH's family have been trying to 'tell' us for the last couple of weeks that Dylan *needs* to go on solids. This isn't based on anything else other than the fact that when 'they were younger' they weaned their kids early and all this 'waiting until baby shows signs' is stupid.

Im sick of getting told to 'put a quarter of rusk in his bottle' and 'start giving him tastes of things'.

He is bottle fed and doing just fine. He sleeps through the night until 8am, has a bottle and goes back to sleep until 09:30. That proves to me he is content and does not need to be weaned just yet.

If i hear anymore from our familes about him 'being a big baby' and needing food Im going to scream!!!!!!!! :evil:

Anyone else experienced this?

Yeah, had my gran telling me to wean her at 12 weeks :lol: Just ignore them (or tell them to effoff depending on how kind you're feeling) because he's your little boy :hug:

I did.
I had people hinting at me that 'ooh she'll be having her first taste of food soon' this was before she was even 4 months.
Then foods were bought for me, which remained in the cupboard.
There was pressure all the time when certain family members visited but i stuck to my guns as i was gonna do what i wanted to do.

Tell em hun, i did. I kept saying that i was waiting till six months if possible and eventually they gave up as they knew i wouldnt budge.

I honestly dont see why other people try and rush with the weaning. I mean we are the ones who know our babies best so we will decide when to do it. I think its just that they weaned their babies earlier than what is advised now.

I know i was weaned early but that was what was done back then.

Just wanted to say you do what you feel is right and stick to your guns and don't listen to them.

If your LO is happy, settled and doing well there is no need to wean at 4 months. He is getting all he needs from his milk and solids can start around 6 months when he is interested.

Also this big baby needing weaning earlier is a crock. OK, my LO is breastfed but he is huge! And we could have gone to 6 months only just boob juice. Just he really showed signs of being ready for food a couple of weeks sooner so we started then. And he's loving it. Tries everything and usually polishes it off :)

I say wait for your LO to be ready and so long as sleeping well, happy and content then don't worry. Even if he has the 4 or 5 month restless stage at night its not meaning he needs weaning. Usually its a passing stage and they settle again. Weaning often makes not a jot of difference to a baby sleeping through so don't feel you have to rush.

Ignore them.

Wait until you know your LO is ready - he will show signs that you can't mistake for anything else :lol:

:evil: :evil: :evil: i could have written this myself!!! jack is 14 weeks old an boobie fed and has never slept through!! and every one keeps saying if u put a rusk in his bottle he will sleep through!!! it is really peeing me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My LO has been sleeping through since 8 weeks (apart from the last few weeks when her routine has been up the cack with a road-trip holiday) and I still get this from my in-laws with the reasoning of 'but she'll start sleeping through' - arrrggghhh! She wasn't even waking up hungry! We were on holiday with them so I got it nearly every day for 3 weeks. You should have seen their faces when I explained baby led weaning and how I was planning to do that! :lol:

Maybe you could tell them that you had decided to take their advice and try the rusk in the milk last night but had to take your LO to the doctor with bad stomach pains this morning :fib: and he berated you for trying to give solids too soon :wink:

IsaB said:
You should have seen their faces when I explained baby led weaning and how I was planning to do that! :lol: :wink:
My Mum was the same when I told her about BLW - absolutly horrified. Now she can't stop rapsodising to all and sundry about how well Charlotte eats, what a pleasure she is to take out etc etc. I just smile smuggly :D :D

I definatley wouldn't be presurised into early weaning - just remind them of all the problems this has caused. I can't believe rusks are still allowed to be sold. Give it another couple of years and I reckon BLW will be the advice given to new Mums and Annabel Carmel will be out of business!

Hi!
I just made a similar post! didn't see yours first. Yes I am going through the same thing and am GOING MAAAAAAAAD! I feel bad about my self and not sure if what I am doing is right!
My LO doesn't seem to demand more milk so he's happy at the moment. he wakes up at night twice (thats' normal for him) but other than that he's fine!
WHY DO OUR IN LAWS OR FAMILIES THINK THEY KNOW BETTER!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back