more food less milk :(

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
yup that is what lelands hospital consultant has told me to do today , he wants him on follow on milk ,still with dual sachet of gaviscon but he wants the milk quanity cute down and his solids increases , as in 3 proper meals a day and even desert after ! at mo he has for brekkie a frmage frais or frutapura now his just started finished a whole one of these , but only just ! luinch he gets finger foods , so prob doesnt take alot ( should i add some pureed stuff too or more fingerfood ? ) and at night he has a stage 1 jar but doesnt even finish this and apprently he should have 2 , or 1 and a fromage frias ! his poor tum tum !

can anyone else who early weaned tell me what there baby was eating at 6 months ? leland still has 4-5 bottles and most of them will be 8oz . his weighed today at 18lb11oz

he loves his milk , i was pressured to wean and now im being pressured to give more food ! he think it will help with the reflux too , prob cos he puked in his office :rotfl:

lol at puking at the consultant. poor leland tho' - sorry his reflux isn't getting any better :hug: :hug: :hug:

Gem, I don't know an awful lot about reflux but milk is so important at this stage, indeed the first year is crucial when it comes to getting enough calcium for those growing bones. In any case, here is a typical diet of my little one so you can compare..

Breakfast 8-9 am
6 oz bottle of formula (he drinks about 2-3 oz)
2-3 teaspoons babyrice/cereal (some of the formula is used to make up the baby rice)
(This week i've been giving him a couple of toast fingers to get him used to finger foods)

11 am
I offer him another bottle of formula milk or breast feed whichever he prefers (he can be fussy and take one or the other)

1-2pm
Pot of fruit or fresh fruit chopped up like banana chunks/pear or mango
Water is offered which he rarely drinks..

3-4 pm
Breast or bottle again, whichever he demands.

6-7 pm
A pot of some type of vegetable meal or a fresh steamed veg
(sweet potato is the fave at the mo)

8pm Bath

Breast or 6oz bottle
He then wakes anywhere between 3 and 5 am for breast! :wall: :wall: I don't really know how to get him to sleep through, I'm told he'll just drop it when he's ready.

It's hard to know how much milk he is getting as he might take more breast one day and not so much the next.. but I still try to get the milk into him wherever possible. Hope that helps!

Harrisons taking 5 x 5 ounces at the moment and he has 2 small meals a day and a yoghurt, but he's 5 weeks younger than Leland.

paris was on 3 meals a day though at 6 months, but she refused me completely at 5 months :shock:

Hannah was having 3 meals a day at 18 weeks and was only having 2 6oz bottles by 6 weeks and 3 good meals and it did help with the reflux

at 6 months Alex was still on breastmilk. He's been very late with taking to solid food, and even now he only nibbles tiny bits throughout the day.

I put Oliver onto 3 meals a day from this week. Not sure how much milk he takes as he's breastfed, & I offer him milk from breast before his meals, but he's having:

Breakfast - 7am:
Boobie milk then either:
Rusk mashed with milk, or fruit puree (3 ice cubes worth) or whole pot of fromage frais
(have bought some weetabix too - but not yet tried him on that)

Lunch - 11.30am:
Boobie milk then either:
Fruit or Veg puree (3/4 ice cubes worth), or baby rice with puree, or half a mashed banana

Afternoon - 3pm:
Boobie Milk

Tea - 4.30pm:
Fruit or Veg puree (3/4 ice cubes worth), or baby rice with puree

Bedtime Milk - 6.30pm:
Boobie Milk.

I got him weighed today & he's 20lbs 9oz the little bloater :rotfl:

Got my wee man weighed today an he was 18lb 14oz and I was told that was average for his age.

Since 6 months old we have been giving 625ml of milk and 3 meals a day. We only moved on to a pudding at 7 months.

Hope this helps you. xxx

Lil miss is 18lb9oz.

04:00 - boob
06:00 - boob
07:30 - boob
09:00 - breakfast and milky (2oz in a cup)
11:00 - milky (2oz in a cup)
13:00 - lunch and milky (2oz in a cup)
15:30 - boob (big boob too)
17:00 - boob
18:00 - dinner
19:30 - boob
00:00 - boob

Milk is still so important at this age... Just keep him on as much milk as possible.. I've found that lil miss has suddenly upped her intake of solid foods, but not dropped her boobs... I'm kinda just letting her take the lead..

For example today I made her mashed potato and a pasta... a small handful of pasta and a small potato... she ate the lot and still had half a rusk for dessert, she actually demanded it, she cried when I did the sign for all gone, and did the sign for more food... She still had a long boob afterwards too. So I think she is just requiring more food.

Take your baby's lead Gem.... you know him better than any "expert"... if he loves his milk then keep at it.. if he is gaining weight normally then why worry? Food has made absolutely no difference to lil miss' and her reflux... well its better than what it was when she was totally breastfed but not by much... :roll: and I feel very much pushed into weaning early when I didn't have to.. Don't do it Gem if you don't think Leland is ready for it. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lily turned 6moths on Thursay and she has a petit filou in the morning, which sometimes she will finish and sometimes not. And some finger foods at about 4. If she wants anymore she lets me know and thats normally about 6 if she fancies it. Im not going to force her to take 3 meals she doesnt want to and she was weaned at 4.5 months.

Theres no way she could eat that list the expert gave you :shock: :lol:

Ellie has 2 meals a day which are usually home cooked veg then yog or fruit puree afterwards. I give her finger foods too. She rarely eats all her meals and tends to prefer finger foods as she's quite independent and has started refusing food off a spoon lol.

She feeds alot off breast still and i always offer it before & after feeds. Some days she hardly has any solids and other she has lots, im just taking her lead at the mo.

Basically i ensure that milk is her main source of food xx

well he had some creamed chickedn last ngiht with pumpkin , i gave him bout hlaf the jar , and then offered some petitflou and he took bout half of that ! thats still half of what dr says but christ thats alot of a wee one !!

thanks everyone tho , i shall continue to follow his lead , i shall go and get follow on milk tho :D

Evie is a greedy little menace when it comes to her solids these days

she has ...

7.30am - 7oz milk and porridge
9.30 - finger food (toast etc)
11.30 - food (she'll take the full stage 1 jar but it's usually homemade) & full petit filous
3.30 - 5oz milk
4.30 - finger food
7.30 - 9oz milk (sometimes she will have a bit more :roll: )

Her last feed is also a good night milk because we have moved off thick Comfort milk and onto follow on milk which just wasn't filling her up so the HV suggested a good night milk.

My HV said they need at least 1 pint of milk a day which is 580ml or between 18 and 21 oz. Evie is within that range so I'm not worried.

Do what you think is right for your own child. I was worried because Evie was more interested in food than milk but as long as she is getting the minimum requirements then she should be fine. Plus she gets extra milk in her food now as well.

i tried that goodnight milk ( had a sample sachet ) and he sucked for ages and didnt get anything ?? his got number 3 teat too ? should i try again ?

Ive found that follow on milk made Imogen ill and very constipated so just keep an eye out Gem. Ifound it had too much Iron.

dont be scared go for it! since ky has been properly weaned hes gone from throwing up after every feed to maybe once (if that) a week!

Try him with some baby cereal instead of just a yoghurt for brekkie. i use to give ky just a yoghurt and it use to come straight back up first thing in the morning. he now has for breakfast a whole weetabix with cows milk and a squished banana mixed in. (he also loves porridge or just puréed fruit, hes also getting there with toast although at the mo he just sucks all the butter off and spreads soggy toast lumps everywhere!)

he'll have a jar at lunch time (a whole stage 1 or half a stage 2) and a yoghurt for pudding.

Then at tea he'll have what me and oh had for dinner the night before puréed. (After kys gone to bed and i cook me and oh's tea and i save a bit for ky, purée it and put it in the fridge for his tea the next day)

then sometimes before bed after his bottle if hes still hungry i give him half a rusk to slobber over.

he has 7oz bottles at around 10am, 3pm, 7.30pm and one if he wakes in the night.

Ive tried the goodnight milk and he was up half the night screaming. it made him boff and his nappy the following day was indescribable!

When i started weaning ky i use to give him 1 meal and that was at tea time but he'd never eat much so i decided to try at lunch time and he took to it alot better, maybe leland would be the same?

good luck! and here's wishing you a boff free future!! :lol:

Id also like to add i tried weaning ky just after 5 months and he only ate little bits. he caught a nasty bug when we were on holiday so he went back to only having milk for a bit as he was really poorly and was hardly even taking milk. I started again the week he turned 6months and he took to it 100% He loves his food and if anything im worried he likes it too much, he'd much rather have milk than food. I still make sure he has at least 3 bottles a day so hes taking in over 18oz of milk.

well his boffed about 6 times today , so im thinking its a bad day , and ive not given him solids for lunch , maybe i should have but his so sleepy and whingy the last thing he wants to do right now is sit in his chair ! guess we all have rough days

cant beleive ky eats a whole weetabix !

Gem & Leland said:
i tried that goodnight milk ( had a sample sachet ) and he sucked for ages and didnt get anything ?? his got number 3 teat too ? should i try again ?

I use a variable teat...Evie had the same problem as Leland on teat3. She hasn't suffered from constipation either. I'm not sure that goodnight milk is the way forward for you though... i don't think it will make much difference with regards to eating more solids :think: :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back