Pregnant with under active thyroid?

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by Ellsbells, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Ellsbells

Ellsbells Well-Known Member

Hiya ladies.

I'm 4 weeks pregnant (found out yesterday!) and I have an under active thyroid, I wasn't born with the gland so it's congenital and I take the synthetic hormone of thyroxine every day. I just want to know whether anyone else is in the same boat or experienced the same thing? Will I be any more closely monitored? Will I have more scans? I have questions lol :) any help would be great! I'm speaking to my gp Monday! X

2. lisa1985

lisa1985 Well-Known Member

Yes I have underactive thyroid developed it age 25, I am now 30 and on Thyroxine, my baby is 5 weeks old. I had my meds increased by 25mcg from 6 weeks pregnant and was referred to a consultant, but consultant said I was low risk and didn't need to be monitored and said to have a blood test 6 weeks after baby born to check levels. I didn't have any extra scans. Apparently you have to be under consultant care if you have over active thyroid. Your GP may have a different opinion though so will have to see what they say at appointment on Monday :) xx

3. Ellsbells

Ellsbells Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your help! Xx

4. Dgreen10

Dgreen10 Active Member

Hi Ellsbells I can't quite believe it never met anyone the same as me before I was also born with out a thyroid gland !! I'm 11 weeks pregnant but this is my 4th time so if you still have questions I should be of some help and may be able to help x