under active thyroid

rene70

Reaction score
hi
ive had an underactive thyroid for a yr now, been getting treated with thyroxine 50mg, can anyone tell me if this medication will have any effect on ttc plz ? been ttc for 8mths

Hi! :wave:
I have an under active thyroid and was diagnosed in 2000!
It has never affected my fertility (thankfully) but it can!
When taking the medication, if your levels are that of which a normal person has, then it shouldnt affect you TTC!
I say shouldnt as Im not a doctor! But the point of the thyroxine is to make the body run as normal!
Have you had regular blood checks? I take 150mg and still dont feel 100%

Hi Rene70,
I too have an underactive thyroid and questioned my Thyroid consultant at the hospital about whether this was causing me problems with fertility and he said it wouldn't as long as I am taking my medication, the levels are all regulated and the dosage is correct ( regular blood testing), I was told that as soon as I do get pregnant to tell the Dr as will probably need the dose increased....incidentally I did get pregnant (albeit briefly) last year and when I had my blood tested my levels had dropped by 3 times....!

Hope this helps,
:hug:

Hi Reno70

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with Hypothyroidism and have been doing lots of research into this illness since then. Apparently to get PG and maintain a PG you need to have a TSH level of about 1. Mine in Dec was 6.75 so no wonder I never got PG before then! It is going down after an initial dose of 25mcg and now I'm on 50mcg until we get the correct dosage.

This really doesnt answer your question about the med affecting fertility (sorry!!) but I think I've been affected by the illness before even starting to take the thyroxine! We're into cycle 9 now TTC. Do you use FF at all? I chart on there but I've found a great forum on there dedicated to Hypothyroidism and the ladies on there are great!

trigger said:
Hi Rene70,
I too have an underactive thyroid and questioned my Thyroid consultant at the hospital about whether this was causing me problems with fertility and he said it wouldn't as long as I am taking my medication, the levels are all regulated and the dosage is correct ( regular blood testing), I was told that as soon as I do get pregnant to tell the Dr as will probably need the dose increased....incidentally I did get pregnant (albeit briefly) last year and when I had my blood tested my levels had dropped by 3 times....!

Hope this helps,
:hug:

Trigger what is your TSH level if you dont mind me asking? I'm interested after what your doc said. Sorry to hear about your lose last year :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back