Hypothyroidism (Low Thyroid)

Skidoo

Reaction score
Does anyone else have low thyroid function? I have been taking thyroxine for the last few years and am concerned about getting the levels right while pregnant as it can affect the baby.

When I called my doctor as I was concerned it was taking a long time to get my first midwife appt she thought it might be because I'd need to see a consultant at the same time, but I just saw a - not v. nice - midwife and since then no-one seems bothered.

Just wondered if anyone out there had any experience with this.

Hi Skidoo

I am hypothyroid too and am taking thyroxine. During my last prgnancy I needed to up the amount I took slightly and am expecting to do the same this time. Other than this I have seen no real issues with my thyroid during pregnancy. I am under consultant care, but I have several other issues which have forced this (history of gestational diabetes and premature labour). I don't think the thyroid issue is a major factor. I have been told my levels will be monitored throughout my pregnancy and I tend to know myself when things need changing. The consultant seemed to be more bothered about the diabetes re-occurring.

Good Luck to you - I hope everything works out well for you.

Sunshine!

Thanks Sunshine -

I was beginning I was the only one, which seemed odd as it isn't that rare a condition. Sorry to hear you have had troubles with gestational diabetes as well - it's something that concerns me as my father is diabetic and I know that diabetes is passed on - and hope you are getting good care for that.

I thought I was supposed to see a consultant about the thyroid condition, but have heard nothing. I've been in to my doctor's this morning though and asked them to call me to discuss it.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back