Underactive Thyroid & Pregnancy

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
I have had an underactive thyroid for about 10 years now. I am 5 weeks pregnant, and had no trouble conceiving, however I am now terrified of losing my baby. Every time I google 'underactive thyroid and pregnancy' it brings up a load of horror stories about miscarriages and how common they are with my condition. I am on meds (150mg thyroxine per day) and it is under control, but can somebody please reassure me or tell me they were in the same position and went on to have a healthy pregnancy? :-(

Sorry I don't have any experience of this - you may be better off talking to your doc or MW if you have been assigned one yet. Hope you have a smooth and healthy pregnancy :hug:

I had an overactive thyroid hun in pregnancy :)

It just meant extra monitoring :)

Hi Huni, i dont have a thyroid problem, however never google anything medical within seconds your self diagnosing the worst case scenario!! I would make an appointment with your GP and discuss it with them, they may lower your dosage? but stop googling youll worry yourself silly - take it from me a self confessed googler!! Good Luck let us know how you get on x x x x

Hi hun,

I have an underactive thyroid and I am also on 150mg of thyroxine. It just meant I had to attend a joint thyroid/antenatal clinic for monitoring and bloods regularly to make sure my dose didn't need adjusting. I am now 32 weeks pregnant and my little lady is doing just fine! Hope this helps xxx

I have an underactive thyroid too. I take 150mg of thyroxine when not pregnant and 225mg when i'm pregnant. It just means that you will have regular consultant appointments at the hospital for monitoring and some extra growth scans. DO NOT GOOGLE!! you will only find horror stories. The horror stories only apply if yout thyroid is untreated and goes un noticed. Taking your pills is mega important while pregnant but as long as you take them, you and baby should be fine :hug: xx

Just remember all the cases google doesn't come up with for all the millions of people who have any sort of medical condition which doesn't impact on the health of their baby with proper healthcare! I was very worried about my PCOS as google was telling me all sorts of nasties, I had no trouble conceiving (I think I'm one of the lucky ones) and have had no problems despite the apparent increase chances of miscarriage. Even the consultant I saw at 15 weeks wasn't concerned, in fact she wondered why I was seeing her, and so did I! Definately ask your GP or midwife, remember there are no silly questions and there's no point worrying yourself away!
Hope you have a very happy and healthy 9 months!

I have an underactive thyroid too. I take 150mg of thyroxine when not pregnant and 225mg when i'm pregnant. It just means that you will have regular consultant appointments at the hospital for monitoring and some extra growth scans. DO NOT GOOGLE!! you will only find horror stories. The horror stories only apply if yout thyroid is untreated and goes un noticed. Taking your pills is mega important while pregnant but as long as you take them, you and baby should be fine :hug: xx

I am on 150mg now, had a blood test last monday and my doctor said that this dose is perfect for me at the moment, but it's likely to have to be increased as my pregnancy progresses. Thanks all, I feel much better about this now! :)

Welcome to PF , congrats, and wishing you a happy and healthy 9 mths!

I dont have an underactive thyroid, but a family friend has had this for a very long time and she has 2 beautiful children :)

Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back