Pregnant Vegans?

Vegkat

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any other Vegan mums/mums to be on here?

This will be my 1st Vegan pregnancy :D

ps sorry If this isn't the right place for this post..wasn't sure where to put it

Last edited:
I'm vegetarian rather than vegan, I've taken my supplements (pregnacare as only one I could find that doesn't have a gelatine capsule) and in fact I haven't had any colds or anything so far which is very unlike me :) not sure if the pregnacare ones are vegan but can't see anything in the ingredients that sounds ominous x

Awesome, thanks :) Yeh I actually found a vegan supplement. Thats cool about the colds :)
xx

I'm not vegan or veg but have lots of friends who are make sure you get vit b12 and iron and folic acid these are particularly important if vegan in fact b 12 v v important if not preg too I have heard it can make.it difficult for the child to digest the milk if you are vegan but that's come from an old article I read and may be complete rubbish Iv not ever checked it out. Also may need to consider food when baby is here if you want them to have the same food wise I think they need more suppliments if vegan think veg is ok though sorry I'm not more use x

I'm a bit late replying to this post but I am vegan too! :) Lovely to hear of another, there are a few of us on here.
I don't believe in supplements, you can get all you need from a well planned plant based diet, including B12.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Am veggie but eat eggs (no cheese or milk). I also only took folic acid and B12 during pregnancy and my wee one is hooooge and happy. You can really get everything plant based but it does require cooking alot and watching what you eat. I love it though!

I am vegetarian, not vegan. I've been for 27 years now:shock:. I think if it's something you are used to and your diet is balanced it's not a big issue. I don't eat meat but I eat a more varied and balanced diet than a lot of people I know who do eat meat. I did take iron for low Hb near the end of pregnancy but I was VERY bad with morning sickness and lost a stone so I think it had more to do with that than being vegetarian because my iron levels were high before that.

I am vegetarian, not vegan. I've been for 27 years now:shock:. I think if it's something you are used to and your diet is balanced it's not a big issue. I don't eat meat but I eat a more varied and balanced diet than a lot of people I know who do eat meat. I did take iron for low Hb near the end of pregnancy but I was VERY bad with morning sickness and lost a stone so I think it had more to do with that than being vegetarian because my iron levels were high before that.
Just having a read but I had that very bad sickness and lost a lot of weight and im a meat eater so its nothing to do with you been veggi your right :D
While pregnant I actually went off meat and folic acid made me sick so I ate lots of food high in folic acid and all was well. I had a thing for raw carrot! (I know its not the same though as a vegetarian sorry if im butting in) xx

Hello ladies, I'm newly pregnant and not long Vegan. Only been Vegan 10 months. This is my first pregnancy so v scary and exciting. I've read that b12 is important as is calcium and of course folic acid. I juice every day and in my juices I have mainly carrots, spinach, brocolli, celery, apples and lemon. I have read that this is a great way of adding extra nutrients to your diet. I've not yet mastered getting it to taste nice though lol. On the plus side I've not yet had morning sickness and don't feel overly tired. I'm struggling with meal ideas more than anything and have already gained half a stone which seems very early as only 6 + 4. If anyone can advise or reassure I'd be very grateful. Thanks

Hi HB3141 :) Welcome to the vegan club, I love hearing of new vegans :) I've been veggie since I was 11 and Vegan for getting on for about 2.5 years now. I've had a trouble free pregnancy so far, no sickness really. I have some Pinterest boards with some yummy recipes if you are on Pinterest? There are some amazing vegan cookbooks out there these days too. Mrs R has a vegan food journal on here as well, (I'll try dig out the link), you should stalk her thread x

Last edited:
Hi timtam, Thank you so much for the warm welcome and advice, very gratefully received. I'm pleased to hear you've maintained a trouble free pregnancy. Congratulations. Xx

Hi all :)

I'm 16 weeks and I'm vegan. It's my first pregnancy and I am perfectly healthy and everyone keeps commenting on how well I look. I feel great too! Baby is also measuring bigger for 16 weeks so no problems there.

Can't believe how many comments I heard before I was pregnant about babies not growing properly on a vegan diet! Yawn. Don't know how anyone can see it as a negative!!

I'm neither vegan or veggie, however have no issues with those that are. I am curious about the views in feeding baby (breast or bottle) for vegans? Anyone able to passify my curiosity?

I'm 16 weeks and vegan too!

Although in the first trimester I did end up having some cheese on pizza and I think I had biscuits that contained milk ( :( ) and I had an egg from my hens 2 weeks ago... but I'm trying to be good now lol. I'm completely off dairy again (thankfully).

Copterpops, I breastfed my last baby (now 9) and I was only veggie then.
I'll be breastfeeding this one full term.

When we get to the stage of wanting milk for in a cup/hot chocolate/on cereal/porridge etc I'll use almond milk like I do now (me and my 9yr old have almond milk in milky drinks & on cereal & in cooking etc).

By the way, no formula milk is even suitable for vegetarians anymore as they all contain fish oils for the omega/DHA etc.

Thanks. I hope it didn't come across judgemental, I was just curious about how it works.

No, it's a valid question.

I've heard of Vegans bottlefeeding and choosing a soya-based formula or something, which is just absurd (and again, even soya formula isn't always vegan as they tend to still look to fish and animal derivatives for certain nutrients).

Hello fellow vegans... I know this is quite an old thread now, when I last commented I was still pregnant... My son is almost two now :) I exclusively breastfed him and still am feeding him and he's always been bang on his percentile line. Kitty2016, yeh I hear you! most people just don't get veganism yet but it's changing rapidly ;)

Great to hear from someone who's already 'been there' :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back