Pregnant Vegans?

Hello all,

Just bumping this because I'm (mostly) vegan and in the first trimester of my first pregnancy.

I haven't eaten meat in about 15 years or dairy in two years but I still have the occasional egg.

I'm worried about where I'll get calcium during my pregnancy (I'm taking, vegan, food-based multi-vitamins): does this help?

Also: I've been craving fish and chips! Argh! I haven't succumbed!

:)

My willpower has been rubbish this pregnancy.

I started eating eggs again (I have my own hens so have only been eating their eggs not shop bought) and I've had cheese about 6 times this pregnancy (on pizza and once in veg fajitas) and chocolate a few times. It's hard because my kids still eat chocolate, pizza, and cheese so it's in the house :oops:

I'm cutting out dairy again now though for the last 8 weeks, but I'm still eating eggs.

I'm not worried about calcium because I eat a lot of fruit and veg which has it in naturally and I've been eating hummus, beans, pulses etc. And I *think* my plant-milk is fortified with calcium though tbh I haven't checked.
On top of that dairy isn't a very good (bioavailable) source of calcium anyway.

The only thing I would seriously consider is a good B12 supplement and possibly folate (not folic acid).

I didn't take either as my diet was pretty good (imo) I did have B12 vitamins but only took one every few weeks. My 13 week bloods were fine but the 28 week bloods showed possible B12 or folate deficiency so since around 28+4 I've been taking both folate & B12 daily. I have Veganicity B12 and Solgar Folate.

Oh and funnily enough, chip shop fish has really appealed to me this pregnancy. It's never been a really strong craving but a few times I've considered having some for a brief moment lol.

Last edited:
My pregnancies were vegan. I worry that I lost one through being very deficient in vitamin d. Who knows, but do try to make sure you're getting all those kind of nutrients, and don't take artificial vitamin a.

There are vegan parent Facebook groups which may be of interest but they are quite hardline, although can be an interesting source of info for ideas.

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy x

Hello all,

Just bumping this because I'm (mostly) vegan and in the first trimester of my first pregnancy.

I haven't eaten meat in about 15 years or dairy in two years but I still have the occasional egg.

I'm worried about where I'll get calcium during my pregnancy (I'm taking, vegan, food-based multi-vitamins): does this help?

Also: I've been craving fish and chips! Argh! I haven't succumbed!

Lots of green veg and soya products! I'm 34 weeks pregnant now and had no problems at all throughout my pregnancy. Iron levels, blood pressure etc all top notch and midwives have been very impressed! If you're eating a plant based diet you will be absulotely fine; if you're living on vegan 'beige' foods you may need to think about tuning your diet a little :)

Funnily enough, I have also been craving fish and chips! I live a stones throw from the seaside too so it's torture as I can smell it all the time! I have had far too many trays of chips, really need to nip it in the bud :roll:

Whenever I asked for dietary help during pregnancy I got nothing from midwives etc as they always all said, oh if you're eating a vegan diet you must be healthy. It's the people that just feast on crisps etc and don't know anything about food nutrition we need to worry about.

Really helpful huh :)

Ah, thank you all.

I never normally worry about calcium for myself but started to panic about the baby. I usually eat a lot of pulses, nuts, and leafy greens but it's been difficult to stomach much recently.

I usually have a super healthy diet: plant-based, organic, gluten-dairy-sugar free. However, I've been eating really unhealthily over the last week!

All I can stomach at the moment are Dr Karg crackers (that have emmental cheese), bounce balls, and white baguette (I haven't eaten white flour in years!) I could honestly eat loaves of baguettes in one sitting. My husband made me a sweet potato, chickpea, kale and garlic bowl last night, which is one of my favourite meals, and I vomited it up shortly after eating it.

:-/

Hoping this will pass and that I can get back to my normal diet again.

Lots of green veg and soya products! I'm 34 weeks pregnant now and had no problems at all throughout my pregnancy. Iron levels, blood pressure etc all top notch and midwives have been very impressed! If you're eating a plant based diet you will be absulotely fine; if you're living on vegan 'beige' foods you may need to think about tuning your diet a little :)

Funnily enough, I have also been craving fish and chips! I live a stones throw from the seaside too so it's torture as I can smell it all the time! I have had far too many trays of chips, really need to nip it in the bud :roll:

I live by the sea too! My husband found a great, vegan, fish and chips recipe that he's going to make me this weekend.

Hope it satisfies the cravings!

p.s. I cannot post links, apparently, but it's on a website called The Debrief.

Oh you reminded me, Vbites do Fishless fish fingers which are awesome as a replacement.

I also like their "making waves" tuna style pate mixed with vegan mayo :D Think I'm going to stock up lol. Especially on the 'making waves' it's a good quick sandwich filler to have with sweetcorn or cucumber, might be handy for after the birth when I need something quick & easy to make & eat lol.

Oh, yum!

I'd LOVE a fish finger sandwich! I don't think I've had one since I was a child. Yum! I'll check my local shop to see if they stock them! Exciting!

Haha this is exciting! My husband is taking me for afternoon tea next weekend at a new place that has started catering for a vegan diet. One of the dishes is fake fish and chips, i'm so excited! One of the puddings is snickers cheesecake, YUM!

Haha this is exciting! My husband is taking me for afternoon tea next weekend at a new place that has started catering for a vegan diet. One of the dishes is fake fish and chips, i'm so excited! One of the puddings is snickers cheesecake, YUM!

This sounds amazing! Have a lovely time! x

Just catching up on this thread again as I've just got a BFP this morning :)

Talking of fake fish and chips I sometimes do a 'tofu of the sea'... Tofu coated in ground flax soaked in hot water (goes a bit like egg white), then wrapped in nori seaweed sheets and coated in a batter mix and fried. Yum!

The vbites fish steaks are amazing! Ocado do the vbites stuff, they are amazing for vegan products!

and a bit off topic but has anyone tried AquaFaba???

Any current pregnant vegans? I've been vegan for just over a year and veggie for 19 years before that. I'm taking Deva Vegan Prenatals. Just found out yesterday I'm pregnant. I'm currently 4 weeks

Hi :wave:

So nice to have found this post :)

I have been meat free for 27 years, since I was 7, but have been plant based vegan for the last 5 years. I am very passionate about it and think it's the best way to eat for both yourself and your baby! I am currently 8 weeks pregnant with my second child.

I must admit though, due to nausea, I have been struggling to eat anything over the last few weeks and especially my beloved veg :( Can't wait for the sickness to get better, although I was sick until 18 weeks when I was pregnant with my son :roll:

If anyone is interested a great site for plant based diets is nutrition facts by Dr Gregor, if you do a search on pregnancy there's there's lots of useful information on there xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back