Pregnant teachers

Catherine

Reaction score
Hi I found out I was pregnant on the first day of the summer holidays 6 weeks ago. I've had a nice long rest and now I have the back to work blues, made better by the thought that I only have to work half a year! :dance:

Don't get me wrong, I love my job but wondering how I'll cope with the demands as I get bigger and more focussed on the bub. I've been in school for two days this week (usually it's all week) and was really conscious about standing on tables to put up backing paper and lifting heavy boxes etc. No-one at work knows yet, so I felt a bit wierd.

Are there any other pregnant teachers or school-workers out there with similar worries? Would be nice to know I am not alone! :wave:

Hello, I am a teacher too. I go back to work on Monday. I have been thinking too about how it is going to be. I am really tired and really sick, it is going to be hard to concentrate on the job at hand. As you know, you have to have as much energy and enthusiasm as a Butlin's Red Coat! So far i feel I have as much energy and enthusiasm as a wet sponge.
I am just going to be militant about doing displays and things (we're not suppossed to do them anyway) , I have a great classroom team who will do them for me. (I am in a Special school, so loads of adult help)
I am worried about the usual furniture shifting I always do on day one. I am just going to have to go slow and careful.
I have to tell my boss I am pg next week, because I have so many other probs with my two previous pg, it is only fair to warn her in advance.
I am quite worried about one of my class who is epileptic. the student is quite large (teenager) and has one or two massive seizures a day. you can get punched, kicked or headbutted in the tummy really easily. It is difficult to avoid because that child needs an adult to be with them to prevent them hurting themselves. I might talk to my boss about it.

Oh the joys of work :0 ) I should be planning now, but I keep getting distracted :)

I'm a teacher too, start back on Monday..just don't feel interested anymore! Done minimal planning and work...have had an amazing summer (got married, honeymoon, am pg) and its a real anti climax goign back. I'm gonna tell head and staff i think, my stomach is so bloated they will prob guess...but not kids / parents obviously.
Just keep thinking...WE DON'T HAVE TO WORK A FULL SCHOOL YEAR!!! :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :cheer: :cheer:

I am a teacher too, I told my head at the end of term and she can't keep a secret so all the staff now know! I am dreading going back because I still feel so sick and i am tired all the time, I am sleeping for 10-12 hrs a night and having a lie down in the afternoons! God only knows how I am going to cope with a class of 4 year olds next week, plus I am doing home visits on Monday and Tuesday so lots of driving around and having to sit and make conversation in people's houses! It may be worth telling yor head if you are worried baout lifting things and moving things - do you have a TA who could help you, mine was fantastic at the end of last year.

Hi,

I am a teaching assistant and dreading going back to work!
I handed in my notice at the end of term because I got a new job in another school. Obviously i have found out i am pregnant in the 6 weeks hols but now i'm really worried about starting my new job and telling them I am now pg.
I really don't know how soon to tell them i will be 8 weeks when I start i am wondering whether i should wait until I have had my scan... Any ideas??

At least we all know we are in the same boat! I am going to tell my head in the first week back before I let anyone else know. He's a new temporary head, so it doesn't create a great impression, does it?

If I were you Emma, I think I would wait until I had my scan date, then go to your head and explain the situation. At least you will have made a bit of an impression by then and you can go on about wanting to keep them informed.

Hey ho, back to the planning. :x

I'm a teacher and because I work with aggressive children I had to tell work as soon as I showed up on Tuesday even though I'm not at the traditional 12 week point yet. It's easier for me as I have a risk assessment which stops me being alone with kids, physically restraining them etc. I feel really looked after but it can get annoying when colleagues don;t even let me pick up a small box of books or something! I'm just aware that I will not be a pro-active with the kids this year and that will feel as if I'm not really doing my job. I'm sure I'll cope though, I'll just have to get very good at telling other people what to do!

i was a teacher before i had my daughter and had to change classes because i had 2 children in my class that u had to restrain and could be quite violent and i wasnt willing to take the risk

I am...don't wanna go back to work! :evil:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I will have to go back to work for only 6 weeks before my maternity leave starts and as my contract with my last teaching job ended at the end of Aug, I will have to find supply. It's good in a way that I can pick the days I want if I'm feeling very heavy and pregnant but a REAl pain that it's not constant work!

I feel a bit jealous as this time last year I was just starting my maternity leave and now on monday I have to go back boo hoo.
I told my head when I was about 12 weeks and while everyone was lovely it was very much still a case of 'get on with it'. I have to say I found my kids the best (I teach 11-18 year olds). They looked after me so well, wouldn't let me lift boxes or even stand for long. I found it amazing how great the kids were. I saw a whole new side to my kids and it actually makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I think of how great they were bless them.
All the best to you all fellow teachers.

I'm a teacher and have already been back for 2 (very dull) days of INSET. I came back today and just SLEPT for Britain so I'm not quite sure what I'm going to be like when I'm teaching teenagers on Monday.

I've been teaching nearly 5 years and I still find it hard going when I'm not pregnant - I'm actually really worried about next year :(

I am toying with the idea of giving up my job altogether!!!

hello

i work in learner support in a college and there were 4000 students in the college last week for our first week, the crowds and stresses of job are immense, im not sure how i will cope.

just getting to bed at 8.30-9ish and to top it off I live 36miles away and a 1 1/2 hour commute twice a day, 6.30 leaving time...

my support to you guys....i dont teach big classes mainly one-one so if i am feeling sick i can make my excuses

xx

Is anyone considering only going back to work part time? I'm currently full time and considering dropping down to 3 days a week when I return (if I can afford it!). I don't want to miss seeing my child grow because I am working all the time but I don't know how easy it is to do.
I have heard that you get a good say in what you want to work when you return or is this just make believe?

I know all this is a long time off but I think it's worth making plans now. There will be a new head starting after Easter this year (we have a temporary one til then). I just hope they are understanding!

I feel the same. I'm going to drop down to 2 and half days hopefully, think it is easier to accomodate this in teaching. I know i won't have any problems, just don't think u can choose days...unless u have v understanding school....like...i would love to work tues/thurs/fri morning, but not sure if i will get exactly what i want! :D

I am planning to go back for 2 days a week, I think that by law achools have to take any request for part time working seriously and if you feel they have dismissed the idea without proper consideration you can take it further BUT you can't say what you work, so your head could say yes you can part time but you have to do 5 mornings or 5 afternoons etc.

My head is retiring in July and I am planning to go back in Sept so it is really weird thinking that I don't know the person who will make that decision (although I think that once I have had the baby I won't really care about work anyway!) :D

I'm planning to go back for 2 days each week. It is the case that your employer has to make arrangements for you to alter your working hours to suit your needs if it is reasonable and possible to do so- cutting down to 2-3 days a week is both of these things. Don't take no for an answer as the law is very much on your side! Your employer would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you and or the children would suffer before they refused your request.

I am going to give up work altogether until my child is school age. It is a big step because I absolutely adore my job and it is a big wage drop. However, we have planned finacially so that we can do it and we have a very small house and small mortgage. It's going to be very different not being so affluent, but I am looking forward to being a SAHM for a little bit.

I also found out i was pregnant at the beginning of the summer hols and I am a primary school teacher in a year 2 class, i have been sitting attempting to do my planning all day but pregnancy brain soon takes over.:wall2:.

I am also a little sad about going back to school as i have been able to rest and take it easy all summer as i get tired really quickly:nap:, however i think all of that is about to end. I am looking foward to the challenge of a new class though.:)

I am going to enjoy being pregnant and am excited by the fact that i only have to work until Feb half term. A little apprehensive about work after the bubs arrives. I want to work part-time and have requested this but not sure which way my head will go! Hopefully he says yes. :dance:

I am a HLTA and havent had a BFP yet, but heres hoping, but im already worried about Monday, I dont want to be doing any heavy lifting, and display work etc, but also i have nothing to tell the head teacher as yet!

Im sooo bloated that I don't know what i am going to wear as I look big now anyway!

I teach at a secondary school, and told my headteacher when I was about 8 weeks. We were due an ofsted inspection and didn't want them turning up and me being sick!! They did come when I was about 11 weeks but I felt fine so didn't cause too much of a problem.

As I spoke to the headteacher 'early' I seem to have been put on light duties this term - working with Y11 on coursework, and working one to one with some students to catch up etc. I have to say when I first found this out I wasn't too pleased, but only after two days back I'm actually quite greatful as I was so tired.

As for going back I am considering part time but will need to look at our finances, I think three days a week would be ideal. I'm also going to try and work up until christmas and then take 6 months maternity leave, then I'll go back for a couple of weeks in July, and it will be summer hols!

Already thinking about how difficult its going to be in a year when I have to go back to work properly :sad:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back