Pregnant - HELP need people's opinions!

I'm with your DH I am afraid.
I can totally see where he is coming from. Your parents can 'be there' without actually being there...
Having said this, it is important that he takes your views into account.
You might find that it is more special just having you two the and then your parents can be there first thing and be the first to see your little one.
For me, it will be just my DH and myself until baby is born. This is our family and I need it to be special for us. However important our parents are to us, we are in this together. I feel that if we start off together, we can go on forever together.
I am not meaning to preach; just giving you a different view that I have, to maybe try to help you see more where your Oh is coming from.
It's the most important thing in your life and you have to be comfortable - you're the one pushing a 'watermelon' out of your body! Hope you come to a happy decision for all. Xx

I sort of agree with your husband as well. I only ever wanted hubby in with me (my mum would have been my worst nightmare - she is so unsympathetic!). What about a compromise of your mum and mother in law, then someone from both sides is there, and I bet your mother in law would feel very honoured to be asked.

I was told to not bother making a birthing plan but make a list of things I didnt want.. you cannot tell when and how a baby is going to arrive & very very small % of labours go to the EXACT plan.

I wanted a water birth with little drugs but ended up being induced due to reduced movement at 37weeks & 6days and after 4 days of contractions had an emergency c-section as my babys heartrate dropped below 30bpm where he had to be resuscitated at birth, my parents were in & out during the induction process but my Dad didnt like seeing me in pain so would go and get a coffee if I was contracting or being examined.

My parents and my OH mum, brother and kids sat outside while we were in recovery from 11:44am (time of birth) till 8pm when I was finally moved into the labour ward.

I would really really think about things and even though it is nice to be organised (I have OCD & used to plan everything - you dont get much time for OCD when baby arrives lol) its best to write a list of things you dont want but just know that in the moment when baby is coming everything goes out the window and you just focus on getting baby out regardless of who is there and what is happening

xx

Last edited:
I agree with your OH too if I'm honest.

You cannot plan this far in advance anyway as the pregnancy will progress so much and you and your hubby will create such a bond over baby when it starts growing and moving about.

I had my mum with me for my first 3 births but she sat in the sidelines and it was more for peace of mind that my mummy was about while I was in pain. She didn't take an active role.

The rest have been just my partner with me and it's actually amazing to have each other for support. You get to rely on him 100% and he gets to have a real active part in being your rock whilst his baby comes into the world.

I'm an old hand at this now as this is baby number 7 for me and I am having my partner and my bff this time. Partner is there to support me through the whole labour and she is there to be my voice as I have severe pregnancy related anxiety! She will also be my support for my partner. Nothing worse than turning round to your over emotional partner being comforted by a young trainee midwife lol!

Ultimately the decision is yours as you are the one actually giving birth but I personally feel that our partners deserve that special moment. You have to remember for us women we bond completely with babyvwhilstvwe are growing it inside us and feel it 24/7 for our partners that bond starts properly at the labour and birth xx

I'm having my mum and my oh in with me. We have also decided if I have a section my mum will be in the room with me and my oh will wait. However this is a very personal decision and ultimately me and my oh spoke through everything and decided as he feints and the mention of blood we need my mum there to look after us both. My daughter will be with my dad whilst I have baby and she will be our first visitor and our first phone call. Oh parents are happy to wait to meet their grandchild and ultimately want what's best for the baby so are happy with our decisions x

After thinking about this I do also kids da agree with ur OH. I totally get why you want your parents as you have already explained and it is your decision as your the one in labour. I do think you need to consider his feelings gs and maybe compromise and maybe ask your patents to leave the room when you start to push. This way that special moment of when your baby is born it's just you and him. That's such a special moment for you both and i'm sure it just being you two for a short time will be enough to make him happy. Also if you want skin to skin and breast feeding you won't want your parents there to see that do you?
Your still early anyway so try to enjoy it and decide this nearer the time. If you start doing everything now your have nothing to do later and your be bored. I had mw the other day and they won't discuss my birth plan till 33 weeks, I thought it was 28.
Personally I would have them then ask them to leave at the pushing time and then ay e have so.e time just the 3 of you then after 30 mins get your parents back. I think that would be fair to you and him.
Even though it's your choice I think you should consider his feelings. Hope I don't sound like a cow. I don't mean it horribly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back