Powdered Milk

From the start I always sterilised the bottles and made them up late evening, and stored them in the back of the fridge. I then warmed them when needed. Never had a problem :)

Everyone is perfectly entitled to make up their bottles how they want, but powdered formula is not sterile and needs recently boiled water to sterilize it.

It's quite rare, but powdered formula can be infected with enterobacter sakazakii or salmonella. Storing made up feeds from powdered formula carries the greatest risk. I just wasn't prepared to risk it with my daughter, who was low birth weight and premature. I actually wouldn't risk it with my son either.

Last edited:
hipp probiotic formula says not to use boiling water on it as it kills the friendly bacteria that it contains!

When I had my son 8 years ago you were allowed to make up 24 hours supply of bottles and keep them in the fridge and just warm them when needed - which is what I did and he is still here and has always been healthy!

The guidelines had changed when I had my daughter, but I figured formula hasn't changed and neither have babies so I did the same again with her! and she was fine!

This time I am using the hipp probiotic formula and plan on having pre-sterilised cooled water in bottles, topping up with boiling water and adding my pre-measured amount of powder from those powder pots you can buy - see how it goes!

If it is higher than >65 degrees Celsius than it's considered safe for human consumption. This is also advise for travellers whom go abroad to prevent getting hep. A, salmonella and such. Storing in the fridge and the fridge is not warmer than 4 degrees Celsius than that is safe too. That is food safety standards in the UK.

I never bothered my child drinks on demand and he drinks loads. Never wanted to bother with powder and never really did. I think quick cooling the bottles with ones like mam that have holes in the bottom is virtually impossible.. From what I've heard is the mixing machine a good compromise can't go wrong then.

This time I am using the hipp probiotic formula and plan on having pre-sterilised cooled water in bottles, topping up with boiling water and adding my pre-measured amount of powder from those powder pots you can buy - see how it goes!

This is how i do Noah's bottles Ang. (use c&g tho) Make up 6oz of cooled boiled water and then top up with 2oz of boiling water when needed and then 8 scoops of formula. takes 2mins to make! and Noah's all good and healthy.

Annoying how guidlines change xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back