Powdered Milk

holly1

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Ok this is probably a really silly question as I planned on BF and because I now cant I am having to formula feed but I have no idea about it really..

Currently I am sterilizing enough bottles for the day and filling these with the relevant amount of pre made formula and putting these in the fridge, once LO wants a feed I just warm the bottle up.

This is a costly way of doing this and I would rather use powdered, but how does this work as it says you have to make the bottles per feed, how do you steralise the bottle make the milk and let the milk get to room temperature all whilst lo is screaming the house down for a feed?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

When the bottles are steralised, fill them up but with an oz less water that u need. Then when baby wants a feed, boil the kettle and add the extra oz of water, then the relevant amount of powder. It'll be the perfect temp :) x

owe thank you so much!!!! I was wondering how everyone got round this :) I will buy some tomorrow and start doing this :)

Thanks for your help x

I thought you had to make it with boiling (or near boiling) water to kill off potential bacteria in the powder though?

So confused..,

As I finished one feed I made the other up with boiling water and then put in an insulated bag until needed x

As I finished one feed I made the other up with boiling water and then put in an insulated bag until needed x

Owe Do you not have to use the made up milk within 2 hours or is that just the pre made formula?

I know with pre made formula you can place this in the fridge until needed but then once taken out has to be used in two hours. I just presumed powdered would be the same x

I thought you had to make it with boiling (or near boiling) water to kill off potential bacteria in the powder though?

So confused..,

Yeah thats what the guidelines say

Oh no :( sounds like pre made is much easier.... Nope I have to stop using its too expensive. How do you do yours? I just can't see how I can do it quick enough for lo whilst ensuring I kill bacteria and also not having it out too long that it spoils ergh

Maybe time to invest in a perfect prep machine? We've been using ours since I switched to combi feeding, and wouldn't know what to do without it. Makes a fresh bottle in less than 2 minutes and is always the right temp. They are about 80 quid but worth it in the long run imo!

Well my dd never had any issues. Most of the time her bottles are made with cooled boiled water because she doesn't like warm bottles and never did. It didn't do any harm.

I'm with jayjay. We use cooled water too and never had a problem with my son or daughter.

Same as the above, as soon as you have started going to baby groups etc, you will realise that everyone adds powder to cooled boiled water when needed, the guidelines on,y changed because some idiot was making bottles up for a week and their baby got ill - obviously because the milk was a week old! And if you read the world health organisation leaflet, it states if used immediately you can add powder to cooled boiled water, if used straight away and chucked after 2 hours! Bacteria can't breed in that limited time, as the milk will already be inside your baby! Even my midwife said to do it this way xxx

How you prepare your feeds is entirely upto you. The guidelines are there for a reason, I chose to use hot boiled water each time as it wasnt worth risking any bacteria making her ill. Bacteria breed in wet, warm environments, boiling water kills them

Just because your child or someone elses was fine doesnt mean every baby would be. I think it gets used too much tbh. Thats just my opinion, each to their own lol

I switched my little girl onto formula at 6 months and have always made her bottles up for the next day before i go to bed and stored them in the fridge. then i just heat them up when i need one. shes only on 3 bottles a day now so its much easier. Shes never once been poorly from me doing it this way x

TBH its all confusing, cartons are stored for 24 hours but if we mix it it needs throwing after a couple, Anti colic milk needs making with room temp water and not boiling so does anti colic not have the germs?

I filled the bottle with boiled water and then added the formula when needed and shook, so it was room temp by the time she needed it, not had any issues. x

I never warmed it, room temp was the preferred by mine x

I also have the perfect prep machine and it is really good, takes the stress away when lo is crying for a feed! The way it works though for a 4oz feed is it gives you about 30ml of boiling water, you then put the powder in and shake, it then fills the bottle up with cooler water so its then the perfect temp - so you could maybe do it like this?

I think the only problem would be putting in the correct amount of water once the formula had been mixed in, but if you had it measured out before hand it would be fine - does that make any sense? lol x

We've always made the formula up exactly how it says on the tin. This was really tough with Nutriprem 2 as the guidelines say it lasts only an hour after making it - I mean, for goodness sake, some babies take up to an hour to feed, which means it really can't be prepared in advance.

This time we're on non-prescription formula, which can hang around for 2 hours after making it. Most of the time you know roughly when your baby needs feeding, e.g. I know my baby wants a feed at 6.30pm, but sometimes he wakes early for it, so I make it at 5.30 or 5.45pm and it's then room temp by the time he wants to take it (sometimes I place the bottle in a jug of cold water to help cool it down) and it'll last til 7.30/7.45.

Perfect prep machine - I've not heard of this, it sounds great! Will Google it now...

I make mine up as I go, bottles are sterilised each evening. On a morning/during the day/at night I fill up a flask so when it comes to feeding the water is already boiled. I measure my powders out for the day in the tommy tippee powder dispensers. Then when a feed is needed I make the bottle up using the water out the flask and have it cooled down in 5 mins. If I'm out I just take a flask of hot water with me or use ready made

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back