bottle feeding questions

trixipaws

Reaction score
what temperature do u feed ur LOs their bottles?

i'm trying 2 get my daughter 2 take a bottle b4 i invest in a breast pump. yesterday she wouldnt take boiled water and i couldnt hand-express enough in the afternoon. this morning i got an impressive 50ml out ready for her after her first feed at 5.30, she woke again at 7.30 and i tried to feed her the bottle but she cried and fussed and spat it out, i put her on my breast and she had a feed. my boyf thinks she mightve refused the bottle coz the milk had cooled to room temp (altho room is warm)

my second question is: will that milk be ok 2 try her with later when shes hungry again if i warm up the bottle? i kno breast milk keeps for 4-6 hours or something but shes had her mouth around the teat and stuff so its not sterile. is this ok? i imagine formula feeders as well as expressing feeders can answer me this.

thanx in advance

I don't know about bf and milk but with formula you have to discard the milk and sterilise the bottle after 1 hour.

I think if it's kept refrigerated straight after expressing it's ok for up to 24 hours but again once it's taken out and warmed it should be used or discarded after 1 hour.

My little boy won't take a bottle at room temp, he has it slighty warmed and as for water...he hates it lol, he knows it's not milk and thinks he's being tricked lol.

Cx

Libby likes her bottles warm, especially when I was bf & bottle feeding. She will occasioanlly take a room temp bottle now, but its few & far between and usually when I'm out & can't get it warmed up anywhere, and she's too hungry to wait, so I should try her with warmer milk, she gets warm milk from you so thats what she's used to.

I was told by my HV that the expressed milk doesn't have to be discarded if she doesn't finish it, but should be transferred into a new (sterile) bottle, and used within 4 hours.

trixi i would heat i up until the point where you can test it on your hand and it doesnt feel hot and doesnt feel cold (ie that same temp as your body).
Remember that your body temperature is roughly 37C and room temperature is roughly about 20C so it would feel considerably colder to Milly. :D

Just wanted to say very best wishes with it trixipaws, hope Millie takes to the bottle soon, I'm sure she's just adapting :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back