Potty training woes!

Me, My Girls & I

Reaction score
*sigh* I'm stuck for what to do now! Es been on an off trained for the last 6 months-ish! She'll go a few weeks accident free and then we go back to square one! I know she can do it, cos she's proved she can, but for some reason after a couple of weeks she just stops! I really begrudge putting her back in nappies, but this morning so far she's already soaked 2 sets of clothes and soaked me too!

I'm so worrying about nursery in Jan cos she cant go unless she's dry! She knows this as well, but isnt bothered! She's rather strong willed :lol: has anyone got any ideas how I can help her? I was so excited thinking we were finally out of them! K wasn't trained at this age I don't think, she was a bit later, but it's the constant regression that's worrying me :(

obviously i am not near that yet and i have absolutely no experience but i was thinking about her being so alive and busy all day is she maybe reluctant or maybe she forgets to leave her playing to go potty and hold it until she can't anymore?
just an idea?
i would start probably by remind her every other hour for example and ask her to go to her potty and then reward her for that?
i am pretty sure you tried already, fancy nice panties and rewards etc etc...

I think it's more that she's stubborn tbh :lol: I've gone for a "mummy's not bothered" approach this aft and told her that as much as I would like her to do it on the toilet, if she doesnt want to, then that's ok, I'll just put a nappy on her! And reminded her that she won't be able to start school with out doing it! My mum apparently had the same problem with my sister, the pair of them are (or were in my sisters case) perfectly happy to just sit in it all day :roll:

I just did Devon 2 mths ago, but hes a boy! Have you tried a reward chart for potty training, where she gets a star for every dry day, or for every good toilet trip if you need to break it down more for more instant rewarding.. and she gets to choose what small reward she gets at the end of the week, with a picture of it on the chart.. My daughter was stuborn and girls are way deeper than boys, and need something more special . You could get her involved in making it too

I found with Devon, that after a few weeks, I had got complacent, and had stopped asking so much and leaving it more to him, and then he started having accidents, down to me not him...

My daughter and Devon I actually used pullups, the other two boys saw them as no better than nappies, but Briony liked that you could pull them up and down, only used them when needed too so was not going back..

Or do the cold turkey method, I did with Devon in the end, just take 3 sets of clothes in a bag and a pullup for last set to get home, and don't use them atall, I know it's stressful , but she will have to be bothered by being wet in the end, if your not showing as bothered by it, and just change her wherever you are. He peed down me in town, and I had to carry my empty shopping bag on my shoulder, to cover the wee, I was not going home without food shopping...

Oh You may be well past this bit, but the turning point with Devon was letting him choose his own potty! We used an old on in loft, but were having big refusal and crying etc , then we went into the pound shop, and he road tested (in clothes!) a few and choose a blue one and carried it home, it went up from there..

Last edited:
I will be using some of those tips JJ Mum :)

Thanks JJ! We've gone past potty stage tbh, even the toddler seats been binned as she prefers being a "proper" big girl! I was wondering about the complacency thing, maybe the two of us are just that comfortable with it we forget? She's proper funny too, when she's been, I have to wait til her trousers are up and she's in the hall til I can clap :roll:

She's started with a bad cold tonight as well which hasn't helped probably! Going to give her the choice in the morning if she wants big girl knickers on the understanding that if she wees she'll be in a nappy!

Thanks JJ! We've gone past potty stage tbh, even the toddler seats been binned as she prefers being a "proper" big girl! I was wondering about the complacency thing, maybe the two of us are just that comfortable with it we forget? She's proper funny too, when she's been, I have to wait til her trousers are up and she's in the hall til I can clap :roll:

She's started with a bad cold tonight as well which hasn't helped probably! Going to give her the choice in the morning if she wants big girl knickers on the understanding that if she wees she'll be in a nappy!

Oh shes a tricky one isn't she, I'm sure it's a girl thing... I find my daughter really hard work, my oh can't cope with her atall, she has a right stuborn side..

Maybee it's a go back to regular wee times regardless of wether she needs it then, 9am, 1030, 12 etc , then your both getting back to the stronger routene of it, and she will know it's coming. Perhaps she could choose her choice of funky squirty hand soap with you, for washing after etc, girls are all far to clever and need more than the normal incentives..

hope you have a good day today

K was the same, so bloody stubborn, she held it 6 hours once cos she point blank refused to go on the potty :roll: she's really poorly today so I'm not gona push it on her! Partly cos I know it would be fruitless and also cos I'm sleep deprived :oooo:

Our daughters are very similar. Having been toilet trained for months she has just started having accidents again at nursery. The problem is she doesn't care if she's wet or soiled her pants. If I ask her about it she just changes the subject or says she was too busy talking it her friends to go! Her idea thus morning was for her to take stickers in to nursery for them to give her when she went in th toilet. My in laws picked her up at lunchtime. When I got in later asked her many stickers she had got she told me none. Basically she decided to hold it in all morning instead. I have spoken to her about it. Just taken the stance of reinforcing poos and wees on toilet. Loads of reward for doing it on toilet. Plus introduced "magic wee" where she says she doesn't want to go and I know she does. Sit her on the loo and turn the tap on. Normally makes her wee. Basically though as stubborn and really only bothered by treats if she's in the mood so not much lose can do. Health visitor Saudi if slightly poorly accusers common. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back