Potty training and going out

Sam's Mum

Reaction score
I'm so proud of my big man :cloud9: I was planning to wait a few more months, but we didn't have much planned for this week so I thought we'd give potty training a go. Had the potty and homemade sticker chart all ready, but didn't think it was going to go well when he wouldn't go near the potty and screamed at me to put his nappy back on... but after the promise of a sticker if he put his nappy in the bin he was happy to be half naked for the afternoon, and after a couple of accidents he had a wee in the potty and then there was no stopping him. 13 stickers on the chart, no accidents at all since his first wee (apart from a tiny bit on the floor when he suddenly realised, shouted 'quick!' and ran to the potty), and after he's finished he lifts the bowl bit out, says, 'put it in mummy's toilet', or 'let's take it to mummy's toilet together' and empties it into the toilet for me :love:

Couple of questions though, because I really wasn't prepared for this at all :lol: Obviously I'll be taking lots of changes of clothes when we go out, and I've got a little travel potty, but do you just keep that in your bag and whip it out every few minutes for the first couple of days?! :rofl: And what do you do in the car?

i used the pull up pants for when we went out just incase there was an accident and it seems to work.

gd luck hun x

Thanks... I don't have anything like that so will need to get some. I didn't want him to feel like he still had a nappy on at first but didn't think about car journeys etc.

Thanks :cloud9: Someone else has just mentioned those to me and I already have some here so might try those instead :yay: ...wasn't sure how much they'd stop the leaks but I do want him to feel wet (not in a mean way :lol:) if he has any accidents while we're out so maybe I don't need to buy anything else. Will see if I'm brave enough to take him out over the next couple of days!

What do I do if I take them to the park or somewhere without toilets? Do you just take a portable potty and whip trousers down?! I've never seen anyone else get a potty out in public :rofl: I really should have prepared more instead of just suddenly deciding to try it one day!

we are onto wk two of toilet training and have just started leaving he house thankfully she seems happy to go on a toilet knoe she was only using the potty at home so that is easyer when your out and about. She went to plat group the other day and she most of gone to the toilet 50 times lol but i didnt mind as she never had an accident just lots of washing hands she thought it was good fun. But going in town was a little harder if we were in the middle of a shop she just then shouted toilet and i was like a mad woman trying to find one. I myself wouldnt use pull ups as i think there too much like nappies i havent even put one back on her for bed and she has only weed once in two wks in her bed. It still early days she isnt 2 till the end of the month so she is doing well xxxx

Wow she's doing really well! :yay: Sam's in a nappy for bed just until I see how much he wees in it but I think we'll just stick with pants and those trainer pants the rest of the time then.

Does she wake up and get up to wee in the night much? x

It's like reading DD's potty training story Sams mum! x regarding going out DD was happy to go to the toilet (I skipped the potty part and did the little seat on the toilet thing) x I took loads of clothes and knickers but rarely used them x we used to go for lunch with my sister every week and DD would go to the toilet every 20 minutes! Lol x she hated having accidents (even though she was never punished for having accidents, just rewarded) x good luck honey x so glad he's picking it up so well x

Sounds exactly like Dec :) I never used pull-ups or anything like that and when we where going out I just took chances !!! lol I am sorry to say but I am one of those mothers you would see with their child in a corner peeing in a bottle *blush* but when they are potty training they just cant hold it that long and when you are walking down the road it is very unlikely your child is going to want to sit on a potty. Be prepared if he is anything like Dec he will need to pee 834646341 times eveytime you leave the house, but I am proud to say Dec never had any accidents while we where out and I stopped taking a change of clothes after about 2 weeks.

Well Done Sam xx

I just made sure that Leoni didnt have much to drink before we left and went to the potty just before leaving. I also put a towel with a plastic bag underneath her in the car or in the buggy. I didnt want to use pullups because she still thought they were nappies and it confused her. I think that we just made sure to take plenty of change of clothes and for the first couple of weeks made sure we were going somewhere near a toilet.

I think he will surprise you and not have any accidents when he is out.

Well done Sam :yay:

You know those pampers bed mats? They are really good for the carseat :yay:

Sorry no advice as we haven't got there yet, just wanted to say well done Sam :yay:clever little man xx

Thanks everyone! :yay: I hadn't thought of putting anything on the car seat...will find something tomorrow but might wait until Saturday to go out because he had a great time out in the garden today. He's been amazing again. Had to send OH to get more stickers :lol: He went over and sat on the potty for a poo this morning too then said 'look mummy!' and proudly showed it to me :rofl:

Hadn't thought of peeing in bottles either...the joys of having a boy eh?! Great idea!

He's doing great!! My nephew just started a month or so ago and has been brilliant too. She didnt use any pull ups with him so not to confuse him, just normal pants all the time and a nappy for bed just now. He has pants on when he was a nap and they put a pad under him but no accidents yet.

He got caught short today when they were out shopping and peed in the cigarette/sand bucket outside Next! :lol:

:rofl:

I didn't let Sam have a nap today (he doesn't always) because I wasn't sure what to do with him :lol: Decided just to stick with pants/nakedness/training pants for now as I think pull ups would confuse him and I wouldn't know if he's had a wee in them, as he's really not bothered about being wet. So proud of him though :cloud9: And I know as long as he's not too distracted he'll give me some warning as he told me when he was in his funpod (thing that he stands in at the kitchen worktop) and seat at the kitchen table that he needed a wee today, and waited until I'd got him out to go over to the potty and wee.

He's in a nappy to sleep again tonight and I thought he might want me to put another one on this morning but he was happy to have it taken off and went straight to the potty for a wee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back