Baby Clothes ! first time mum ! i have no clue !

firstangel

Reaction score
What to dress baby in !

Baby due in a few weeks will still be pretty cold ! any advise welcome ! for summer too !

For when baby goes out? say I have a pram suit on what does baby wear under neath??

What about sleeping? is it just a long sleeved sleep suit??

Or if using a sleeping bag??

Sorry you will think im so stupid ! but I just dont have a clue !

how do you know if baby is too cold?? too hot ??

god I do feel so stupid !

Basically all you need for the first month is:

Sleepsuits (for day and night)
vests (for underneath sleepsuits)
mitts
hat
and snowsuit for going out.

I kept Baillie in sleepsuits for around a month - much more practical :wink: .

Kim x x x x

I agree with Kim Just sleepsuits and long sleeved vests for now and perhaps a couple of cardigans for colder days. xxxxx

I totally agree - sleepsuits all the time! Get the ones with the scratch mits built in (Matalan, Next and Mothercare all do them) they're awesome!

I was dying to put Molly in real person clothes but just left her in babygros for the first month or so.

ive got little clothes for him to wear, just because as my mum says, we wouldn't like to go out in our PJs all the time

For the first few weeks all I dressed Aimee in was a long sleeved body suit, sleepsuit and a cardigan. If we went out, which was rare, I would put her in an outfit but it was mostly bodysuits and sleepsuits!

As for sleeping, our bedroom can be nippy so I just put her in a sleepbag along with the bodysuit and sleepsuit but no cardigan as didn't want her to overheat.

Mitts were important for us as Aimee was forever scratching at her face.

OMG! i actually posted the same thing almost word for word a few weeks before my LO was born. dont feel stupid, how can we possibly know if no ones ever told us and we've never had to know?
for day and night just stick with a vest(plain white ones are fine nnot as if anyone sees them) and a bodysuit on top. I agree built in scratch mits are fab!
If your house is at a nice temp ( 18+ degrees) i wouldnt have thought there would be any need for any more layers.
for going out i just add hat, mits and thick pramsuit, maybe a little cardie if seriously cold.
and for sleeping in my LO just has vest, bodysuit (with mits on)and 2.5tog sleeping bag.
LO will NOT like being changed the quicker u can do it the better so stick with easy fastenings.
To check that LO is not too hot or cold put 2 fingers on chest or tummy, should be nice and warm, if its burning up then remove a layer and vice versa. Trust your instincts you'll be great :D

Sugarhigh said:
ive got little clothes for him to wear, just because as my mum says, we wouldn't like to go out in our PJs all the time

I would :lol:

Actually girls in Liverpool generally go out in their PJ's

The rule of thumb for babys first month is plus one layer than you. So for example if you are in a tee and sweater, then baby should be in a vest, sleepsuit and cardi.

I'd go with sleepsuits, vests, long sleeved bodysuits and socks for the first month. An cardi or two also.

Going out you'll need a hat (not to be worn inside only out), warm suit, mits perhaps.

And see this thread for what LO should wear at night if in a sleeping bag, though for the first month remember the plus one layer so add a vest if only a sleepsuit and sleeping bag. And unless its really warm I always used a sleepsuit for my son in the first 3 months, never a long sleeve body suit.

Also have a read of this post and see the sleeping bag guide pics

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=107539&p=1356535#p1356535

xmcnickyx said:
I was dying to put Molly in real person clothes but just left her in babygros for the first month or so.

Ditto! I had all these lovely outfits but didn't get a chance to wear them. This first 6 weeks Dan lived in vests and sleepsuits :D

Hannah mainly wore a short sleeve vest and a sleepsuit for the first month - lots of runny poos so there wasn't much point in dressing her up in nice clothes as they would need washing after an hour!!

For bedtime, Hannah wears a vest, sleepsuit and a sleeping bag - she then has a light blanket over her which is tucked in at the sides to stop her wriggling too much :)

good advise from the ladies above re sleepsuits and vests etc. i would hold off buying outfits as your guarenteed to get a whole pile of clothes as presents, i know i did and needed to buy basic things like vests and babygros. joshua also has 2 great grannies and a great great aunt so i got lots of knitted cardis which were great for putting over his sleepsuit.
He also didn't fit into clothes for a wee while so he lived in babygros and cardis.

keelie_b said:
OMG! i actually posted the same thing almost word for word a few weeks before my LO was born. dont feel stupid, how can we possibly know if no ones ever told us and we've never had to know?
for day and night just stick with a vest(plain white ones are fine nnot as if anyone sees them) and a bodysuit on top. I agree built in scratch mits are fab!
If your house is at a nice temp ( 18+ degrees) i wouldnt have thought there would be any need for any more layers.
for going out i just add hat, mits and thick pramsuit, maybe a little cardie if seriously cold.
and for sleeping in my LO just has vest, bodysuit (with mits on)and 2.5tog sleeping bag.
LO will NOT like being changed the quicker u can do it the better so stick with easy fastenings.
To check that LO is not too hot or cold put 2 fingers on chest or tummy, should be nice and warm, if its burning up then remove a layer and vice versa. Trust your instincts you'll be great :D

Dont feel so stupid now ! Thanx

Sherlock said:
The rule of thumb for babys first month is plus one layer than you. So for example if you are in a tee and sweater, then baby should be in a vest, sleepsuit and cardi.

I'd go with sleepsuits, vests, long sleeved bodysuits and socks for the first month. An cardi or two also.

Going out you'll need a hat (not to be worn inside only out), warm suit, mits perhaps.

And see this thread for what LO should wear at night if in a sleeping bag, though for the first month remember the plus one layer so add a vest if only a sleepsuit and sleeping bag. And unless its really warm I always used a sleepsuit for my son in the first 3 months, never a long sleeve body suit.

Also have a read of this post and see the sleeping bag guide pics

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=107539&p=1356535#p1356535

Thanx for the stuff on sleeping bags ! and the other bits ! x :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111