do you leave baby unattended when u take a shower?

laetitia85

Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid question (again, i think ur getting used to me! :lol: )

but when do you have the time to take a shower? is it best to take your shower when your newborn is sleeping? or maybe relaxing in his/her bouncer?

when is the best time? I'm worried about leaving baby unattended even for a 10 minute shower. But taking a shower when he's sleeping doesn't sound that bad.

what do you think?

i only have baths when someone is in the house, either at night or during the day when my mum is around

mary70 said:
i only have baths when someone is in the house, either at night or during the day when my mum is around

yeah that sounds like the perfect solution. but what about the times when no one is around? my hubby works and only comes home around 5pm. however i hate waiting until evening to shower. i like to be fresh and clean in the morning :wall:

When Keeley was a young baby i used to take her in the bathroom in the bouncer but as she's got older and more active i've waited until she's gone to bed to have a bath as if i let her roam the flat i would be gettin in and out all the time :roll: :lol: lol

I used to either have a shower when Isla was asleep (leave the door open so i could hear her and hop out if she cried) bring her into the bathroom in her bouncy chair and watch her, bring her in the shower with me (i loved this bonding time of skin to skin contact) or wait till hubby came home. When she was tiny i could put her in the moses basket in the doorway if she was asleep too so i could see her. Newborns sleep a lot so not too worry about it too much.

You wait till they are 19 months and want to come to the loo with you and get the loo roll for you as well as saying wee wee poo poo its very offputting !!!!! :rotfl: They are more of a problem when they can walk as you cant leave them for a sec!!

i used to think the bouncer in the bathroom was a good idea but then now i think there is too much fog and humidity when i shower (i like to use very hot water) and i'm worried it might harm the baby.

but then again i worry about everything :roll:

I used to go when Nathan was asleep (his room was next to bathroom) or bring him in in his bouncer or carseat - He always loved it, if he was crying alot that would calm him down straight away. Or I used to bring him into the bath with me :)

i have a bath when all of mine are in bed, plus OH is always here in the evening

laetitia85 said:
mary70 said:

yeah that sounds like the perfect solution. but what about the times when no one is around? my hubby works and only comes home around 5pm. however i hate waiting until evening to shower. i like to be fresh and clean in the morning :wall:

Babies usually sleep after their morning feed. Put LO in his/her cot, and have your shower. The baby won't come to any harm in the ten minutes it takes you to have a wash!

My baby is now almost nine months. These days I either put him in his cot to sleep, or in his high chair, where I know he can't come to any harm, and I have my shower, door left open so I can hear.

My little girls (aged three and four) are either playing in their rooms, or watching the TV, whilst I shower.

Short of having all three kids in the bathroom with me there isn't much else I can do.......

laetitia85 said:
i used to think the bouncer in the bathroom was a good idea but then now i think there is too much fog and humidity when i shower (i like to use very hot water) and i'm worried it might harm the baby.

The steam is actually good for them, leave your bathroom door open tho so they dont over heat!

When Lydia was little if I wanted a shower and I was alone I waited until she was asleep.

Then when she got bigger (able to sit up) I used to put her in the bath next to the shower cubical lol. I'd wrap something soft around the taps and fill the bath with toys and books, and just sit her in it lol.

Nowadays I only shower when DH is in the house.

I would put them in the car seat and take that in the bathroom. The shower seemed to facinate them.

I fear a 10 min shower might be a thing of the pas tho hun.

I quick in, wash and out.

SarahH said:
laetitia85 said:

The steam is actually good for them, leave your bathroom door open tho so they dont over heat!

yeah it is really good for babys.. and kids who have chest problems.. it helps to wet the lungs and decongest them..although there is nothing wrong with you having a shower when the babys is asleep or awake.. as long as it is in a safe place.. ie.. strapped in bouncer.. car seat pram or cot/basket..when you go for a wee etc you arnt going to take the baby in with you.. so try not to worry about it being left alone for a little time.. if it does bother you or make you anxious then theres no problem with you taking a baby into the shower/bathroom with you..

when charlotte was a baby i used to just leave the door open or take her in with me.. after a few days you start to settle into a routeen.. and you will know after feeds the baby will fall asleep for a bit.. and you will get chance to do these things anyways..

I'm just about to have a shower now I am sure that Finn is fast asleep. Will take him upstairs but I don't think he will come to harm being left alone for 5 mins.

yes i leave millie but only in her cot (she can roll now so wont leave her on the bed)
i leave the baby monitor on too coz i cant hear her cry over the shower noise.

when she was really tiny i used to bring the moses basket into the bathroom! :lol:

When Soph was smaller i used to take a bath when she was asleep, but now we usually have a bath together in the morning, killing 2 birds with one stone!

You'll find your own way once bubs arrives, everyone finds out what works best for them, so stop stressing about everything, you're gonna do a fab job! :hug:

Just had a shower, Livvy in vibrating bouncy chair pointed towards shower.

If she gets upset, I just sing or talk to her.

Simple xx

When James was small I'd take a shower whilst he was asleep.
If I were going to have a bath I'd take him in the bathroom with me in his bouncy chair and talk and sing to him at the same time :lol:

Funkylady said:
Just had a shower, Livvy in vibrating bouncy chair pointed towards shower.

If she gets upset, I just sing or talk to her.

Simple xx

Same here, or if he's asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back