Please help

Happybunny

Reaction score
Argh the whole name thing is driving me mad, we had got settled on some names, but now I am not so sure.

OH is keen to have the name 'Millie' for a girl, which I love too, however, we both feel that she should have a longer, formal name to put on her CV when she is older (Millie is cute for a child, but will it cut the mustard when she is applying for her £100K + job at a merchant bank? :D )

What could we have as the longer verion of Millie?

I though Amelia - but OH thinks there are too many people we know have chosen Amelia recently.

I thought maybe Emily? Or is that silly? Could you justify shortening Emily to Millie?

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

i know im going to get jumped on for this lol, but...My niece is named Emhylea it's said as Amelia, but i think looks a lot smarter etc, she could be something like this by birth ceritificate, but of course be Millie to everyone :D

I love the name Millie too :D

Hmm.. A bit of brain training here (greatly needed in my nappy brain state!)

How about..

Melissa? Melinda? (Although danger of being Mel and nothing against the name Mel, but you wanted Millie as the shorter version).

I like Amelia too. xx

Mildred :lol: I think Amelia is so pretty, I wanted that name but OH wouldn't have it.. :x

we were going to call LO milly, and have amelia on the birth certificate, but decided its too common now :wall:

Emily would work though

According to this site Millie is short for

The girl's name Millie \m(il)-lie\ is a variant of Amelia, Camilla, Kamilla, Melissa, Mildred and Millicent.

I quite like Melissa :)

Can also be a shortened form of Camille and Emily.

For some reason I really like Camille. And Emily is lovely.

Camille is cute and Emily is always a hit, its short girlie and simple in a nice way.

I couldnt help thinking of Carmella lol

I actually quite like Camilla.

I totally understand you not thinking Millie is very formal, I keep thinking when she writes her name or get's mail it will say Miss Millie ... And it just doesn't seem to go for some reason.

Thanks for the ideas, I really like Camile, however, OH's cousin have named their daughter that :(
Melissa is out because of a close friend with the same name too. Maybe we should go with Millicent, but I think that even with the run of old fashioned names at the moment, it is too old fashioned. ARGH!!! This name thing is sooooooooo hard.

Our other favourite is Eleanor, hubby wants to shorten it to Ellie, which is very very sweet, but there are MILLIONS of Ellies where we live, they would be one of about 5 in their class at school.

I really need a name that isn't really really popular and will stand them in good stead for adult life whether they decide to work at McDonald's or become a Brain Surgeon.

I think Millicent would be perfect for when they are older and if she decides she can still use Millie.

I'm having problems too - I want a name that can be shortened but also something that suits for when they are older.

like Eleanor but not Ellie - its really common where I stay I'm afraid

U will find something - don't worry

Imogen. it can be shortened to Immie or Immy etc if you wanted it to, i always see it as a gentle name, yet can be suitable for a brain sugeon too in mybooks lol

What about....

Miller (quite a nice boys name actually :think: )
Millandra

But I love Amelia :D

I was watching a TV programme and I heard the name 'Milaina' (I don't know how it's spelled) which I thought was nice, that could be shortened to Milly?

I had a pupil called Melana, I think that would be the name Poppy was going for :D Be cause it's pronounced mih - lane - ah you could still shorten it to Millie.

kalia said:
I had a pupil called Melana, I think that would be the name Poppy was going for :D Be cause it's pronounced mih - lane - ah you could still shorten it to Millie.

Yeah that's the name I was thinking of :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back