Pilates question for midwife

Sarah W Baby Belly

Reaction score
I recently bought a pilates for pregnancy video and opened it with great anticipation until I read that it is to be used from 16 weeks onwards.

Does this mean I definitely can't use it at 7 weeks? If so do you know why that is?

Thanks

i've been doing pilates regularly since long before i fell pregnant and am still doing it now. i intend to carry on, but obviously i may need to modify some of the exercises when i get a bigger bump (obviously at only just over 6 weeks i've not got a bump yet other than the "extra padding" i already have! lol)

pilates is such a gentle form of exercise and i don't think it will be harmful - but maybe check with your midwife to be on the safe side. it's really good for the core muscles in your back and abs, which i hope will help me avoid back ache and make labour easier when that time comes!

enjoy your pilates!

Hiya

Interestingly most pilates courses state that you can do this form of exercise whether you are 1 week or at term. I think the problem with vidoes is they have to cover their backs in case any women miscarry during the first trimester and try to blame it on them (thus being the chance of miscarriage is greater during the first 3 months). It is probably taken from the stance that anyone following a vidoe isn't being supervised so may do some awkward positions that actually are not pilates hence doing your back in etc.

I would advise you have at least one or two professional classes and use the video as a refresher tool.

Kieren

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back