Phantom Pregnancy?

Mrs Monkey

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to these forums so I do apologise if I have put this in the wrong place.

We havent been trying for a baby, quite the opposite as my husband has had a vasectomy, but over the last few months I have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms. I have done HPT tests and these have come back negative. I havent visited the doctor yet altho I do have an appointment in 2 weeks (that's how long my surgery takes to see patients!)
My periods over the last few months have been a little erratic, and I've felt totally shattered.
The last time I saw the doctor with these symptoms, he sent off bloods for a thyroid test which came back all ok apart from anemia (sp?) Last month my period was 3 weeks late, which is when I did the HPT tests. I know it wouldnt be possible with my husband having the snip but I had to rule it out. Other symptoms include weight gain, even tho I'm eating healthy and exercising, my stomach is swollen (looks like when I was around 20 weeks pregnant with my youngest) heartburn, restless sleep, vivid dreams etc... all stuff I was experiencing in my last pregnancy! But I'm absolutely positive I'm not pregnant, it's not possible, especially as the tests tell me I'm not! Besides, I actually think the late periods are more than likely down to beginning the menopause (my mum was 36 when she started going thru hers and I'm 38 now so...)

Sooooo, the only explanation I have for this is that I'm experiencing a phantom pregnancy. I admit, I'm broody as hell atm, everyone around me is getting pregnant or having babies and I would LOVE to have another but hubby wont consider getting a reversal as we're both approaching our 40's and he feels we're too old for another.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you get thru it? Thanks in advance :)

I haven't experienced this myself, but didn't want to read + run!
Sorry to hear you're having a bit of a rough time of things :(
Hope you manage to get some answers soon xx

All those signs point to PCOS for me. Do you get hot flushes too?
Hope you get some insight from the docs soon hun *hugs*

All those signs point to PCOS for me. Do you get hot flushes too?
Hope you get some insight from the docs soon hun *hugs*

Yes I do, which is why I thought I was possibly going thru the menopause! Is that a symptom of PCOS then?

Yup.
I have PCOS and get hot flushes, put weight on so I got a huge spare tyre round my middle and bloated belly, always got loads of spots, very irregular periods (1 to 5 cycles a year) each period was VERY heavy and had me doubled over screaming. I also have belly hair etc and tired all time. Other symptoms are also unwanted/exessive hair, sleep apniea etc.

Since I was put on Metformin last August I've lost 4 stone in weight, stopped been so lethargic and tired all time, cycles become more regular and less heavy/painful.

Of course now I'm pregnant I'm really tired all time again and sick but I rather have it due to pregnancy than my PCOS.

I just turned 30 yesturday and thopught I was going thru early menopose too which is what made me go see the doctor and get checked out :)
(most gynos only concentrate on getting you pregnant tho so you have to eventually so NO get me sorted first and when they do it does become easier to get pregnant)

Oh and talking about dreams. Yeah I remember most my dreams and it was a dream that made me do a pregnancy test otherwise I would of carried on thinking my PCOS was playing silly buggers again :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and congratulations btw!
My periods have only become a erratic over the last few months, it's not a long term thing. Hopefully the doctor will be able to give me some answers to that particular question! As for "pregnancy" symptoms, they've tailed off now, thank goodness, I felt like I was losing my marbles as I know I'm definately NOT pregnant!

Thanks again :)

Thank you.
Still best to get checked out just in case hun.

Stress can also mess up your cycles etc ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back