Peoples experiences with C-Section please!

SophD

Reaction score
Hi all, Im 15 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby, and have had 2 previous vaginal births. For various reasons, Im having a C-section this time. Im just wondering what theyre really like, and what happens before, during and after? Many thanks

Hi hun

I think from the chat on here that a planned c-section is much better than an emergency. I had a planned section January 2013 with my daughter cos she was breech. We went through the paperwork etc with the consultant, basically so you understand the things that can go wrong. On the day we went early morning to get our time slot. Got changed into the gown etc, can't eat etc for 24 hours before hand (usual with surgery). Went into surgery about 10:45. They sit you up on the end of the table thing, make you lean forward with your knees at your chest, for the spinal. They lie you down, get all the wires etc on your arms, blood pressure stuff etc. Put up the curtain and basically begin straight away. It feels like someone is sitting on your lower half, and you see them tugging and pulling but its not painful at all, a weird sensation.

Your partner etc can't be with you when you get the spinal, they come in once the curtain is up etc. All dressed up too in their scrubs and cap :p Eva was born just after 11. You can't hold baby straight away so your partner probably will do the holding, while they stitch you up etc. Then you're into recovery for your tea and toast, blood pressure is monitored and they check the bleeding down below. When you're on the table you get all shakey and stuff but that's normal, you're kind of lying with both arms out at a slight angle.

They let you try and feed whilst in recovery, they help you on to your side because you obv still can't feel your legs or anything. After everything is monitored you're moved up to the ward. I was in for 3 days I think. Then you have the midwife out for a few weeks after to check your dressing etc. Then you have them come around and remove your dressing at home. Its like a big sticking plaster on your lower belly.

Tbh once I was home, I barely remember the section etc. Now 3.5 years on I can barely see my scar, and I only get little twangs on it if Ive been working the muscle too hard/lifted something too heavy.

I know it seems scary/daunting (trust me I was the same!) but honestly it was so smooth and calm, its easy to forget it was major surgery :)

My after pain from what I can remember was maybe only a 4/5 on a bad day. Trick is to just take it slowly but don't sit about too much cos that will just make it worse. Light walks etc.

Mine was an emergency one so couldn't plan for it. As I was having contractions at the time it was quite traumatic but if its planned I'd say there's nothing to worry about.

I actually found recovery not bad at all, it didn't really restrict me much at all. I was in hospital for a couple of days after with baby

I honestly felt like having an episiotomy recovery would have been worse painwise. Obviously you gotta take it easy though X

I can't compare to a natural birth, but I am opting for a planned c-section this time. I had an emergency c-section last time after an horrific induction which failed, so I can't help with the pre-op info.

I recovered super quick, only had pain if trying to get out of bed for example. It was really hard to not use my stomach muscles until healed ....I don't really remember having pain as such, well no where near the pain I was experiencing during the induction. But other friends really struggled after their c-sections so it all depends on the person!

my first c section was fine it was planned and all went smoothly I was home after 2 days. take all the medication they give you and the pain wasn't too bad I was feeling fine after 2 weeks. my second wasn't so good but if it's your first it's really not that bad.

for me the worst part was the spinal but it's literally a few second's and it's done

I just had an elective C section 10 days ago as my daughter was breech. Sarahmc89 explained it perfectly!

It is all very relaxed and they talk you through everything that is happening. The anaesthetist stood next to me throughout and talked me through what was going on. It must have only took about 10 minutes for them to deliver our daughter. I wanted my husband to let me know what sex the baby was so they just lifted her up over the curtain and then my husband went with her into the next room. It takes another 30 minutes or so for them to stitch up and then I was in the recovery room for 30 minutes doing skin to skin while husband phoned the family to let them know the good news and then I got taken back up to the ward :)

I had my section at 10.30am and then was up walking and showered by 6pm the same day. Dinner went down a treat too!

I was out the next again day and while I was tender the pain was bearable especially if you take all the medication they prescribe.

The pain subsided over the next few days and 10 days later I only get the odd twinge when I'm putting on shoes etc but I hoovered and mopped the floors yesterday and felt fine afterwards!

I was apprehensive about my section and you do shake a lot but it's pure adrenaline but afterwards you soon forget when you've got a lovely baby in your arms!

I had an emergency c-sec 10 days ago and actually the pain hasn't been that bad. It's more of an ache than painful. I can't really remember what they did beforehand as it was an emergency and so quick, they did tell me to expect to feel some pulling and tugging but I felt absolutely nothing. Afterwards I was mostly in bed so didn't move save to get into a wheelchair to see my daughter, got up on day 3 or 4 for a shower and felt like super woman for achieving it!! It hurt to laugh, cough and sneeze and I'm still holding my belly when I do all 3 but it's easing!

If I have another I think I will elect, because it was a bit traumatic in the end (labour not the c sec!)

Last edited:
I've had both types of birth although my section was an emergency (but not a crash section)
I did get to hold my baby first as they laid him on me before stitching me up, there was no complications with him in the end.

Recovery wise, if you keep up with the medication recommended then it's not too bad, however I would say it's worse than a normal delivery and recovery is definitely much longer than a natural birth. It took me a couple of days after my daughter to feel pretty normal (I did tear so that took a couple of weeks to heal) with my son it was more like 5/6 weeks before I felt myself properly. You just have to be careful with a c/section to exercise gently with walking but not overdoing it at the same time.

I had an emergancy after failed induction and mine and babys heaet rate was up and down. I think it was painfull but the meds did help. I was on morphine the first few days. My baby is almost 16 weeks and still i cant wear anything tight and it hurts after i feed her, giessinv its the postion i hold her in. Id love another baby not sure how i would deliver though. The spinal scares me, i moved when theu put the epidural on and got told of. I cant stand needles. Im sure you will be fine evryone is different and i admit im a wimp x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back