c-section....

BeckyJ

Reaction score
do you have an epidural with a c section?

any info on c-sections and your experiences would be great - thanks

Hi

I was given an anesthetic (much like epidural) when I had my c-section and felt no pain during the procedure whatsoever.

If your having a c-section good luck with it and take really good care of yourself after the procedure.

Becks

Becky - when i was induced, the doc kept trying to persuade me to have an epidural "just in case i needed a c section" as Caitlyn was getting distressed.

So they might be the same with you, have an epidural as a caution. its your choice at the end of the day and dont let them intimidate you.
Im glad i stood my ground

xx

from what i could gather hun when i had mine its a spinal block which is a bit stroger than an epidural and i also had morpine for the afterpain, i had an epidural for my normal birth with my son and had no affects at all but with the one for the section it made me reallt really sick within seconds of having it which i was told was normal and i had to have anti nausia medication and it also numbed me for longer

Hi Becky,

I had already had an epidural during my labour so I was ready to go to theatre for my emergency c-section which they just topped up during the surgery.

My experience of a c-section is that whilst the operation itself was, to me, relatively easy at the time compared to natural labour (bearing in mind I had already been told to prepare myself mentally by the midwife 13 hours previous that a c-section might be the end result) and very quick about 1 hour in total from taking me into theatre, prepping me and all the instruments to opening me up and delivering my daughter into the world to stitching me back up and taking me to the recovery room the actual physical recovery for me has been the hardest part.

Its difficult because for a start its very painful afterwards around the scar area. You have to recover from the anesthetic, I was monitored every hour by checking my blood pressure, heart rate and pulse. I was extremely sluggish and tired ffrom the anesthetic but also from the blood loss during surgery. Also you literally cannot do anything apart from looking after your LO, which has just been feeding and changing nappies for me. I have been advised no bending and no lifting anything heavier than my daughter. I have been trying to go for daily walks but I cant manage far, to the end of the road and back initially and each day I go a bit further.

I have to admit I did get a talking to from my midwife for doing too much initially in the first few days as I was still doing the odd things round the house like a bit of tidying such as taking a few bits of washing up stairs, or making a cuppa or simply bending to put my socks on or bending to shave my legs in the shower, so I really slowed down and have been taking their advise.

Its nearly 2 weeks now and I have just finished my pain killers and TBH its not that painful any more, it doesnt pull when I get in or out of bed, bending is getting easier I can shave my legs now!!! Walking is still very slow but I can get a little further now than what I could last week.

If you want to know more details about the actual operation itself feel free to PM me and I can try and answer any questions you might have, particularly as its still fairly fresh in my head.

thanks so much for the reply charlie

i pm'd you before i saw this post so wasnt sure you had a c section when i sent the pm

Hey huni, I had a csection and I had a spinal as I wasnt in labour so an epidural was irelivant (sp)

I'll say from the start as unless Ive got severe mummy brain your in Redditch as am I.

The day before I was told not to eat from midnight (so stuffed a few cakes in my mouth at about 11.55pm :shhh: ) and had anti clotting injections which cor blimey they hurt for little needles :shakehead:

Then the morning they gave me a very snazy gown :wink: and told to strip off completely and pop the gown on. Then a MW came in and did the dignified "shave" (again as Id be preped 4times already :wall: ) Already had hand canula but I assume they would of put it in now.

Then I sat and waitied and waited then surgeon popped his head round and said just taking an ememrgency down will come and get you in an hour smiled and trotted off :shock: :rotfl:

Then they came and said right were ready for you so I stood up and they said jump back on your bed we will wheel you down it easier. So had OH one side. Mum the other and off we went. Shaking like I was in an earthquake :rotfl: and they have their own sneaky theatre in the delivery suite :shhh:

Went in and OH and mum got shoooed into recovery and I went in. My god its bright wish I had took my sunglasses :lol:

I had to hop onto the op bed and one put all the gizmos on me and the other was spraying VERY cold local anisetic on my back asking loads of questions. Then had to tuck my knees into my chin whilst they did the injection (which didnt hurt NO WHERE near as I thought it would) Then I lay down and lost dignity as I was naked from the waist down as they put the screen up and inserted a bag to collect my wee (cant think of the name :doh: )

IN toddled OH in his scrubs and white flip flops :rotfl: and sat down. Then they started. It is such a weird feeling when they do it. Lots of pulling and pushing but no pain OH said he couldnt believe how calm I was seeing as I was cut open (cheers love :roll: ) Then about 5mins later out popped a baby :lol: :cheer: gave her to OH to hold and I cried like a baby :shhh: OH lip was wobbling but he denies it :rotfl: Then they had to go whilst I got stiched up took about 20/30mins and it was so weird knowing Id just had a baby and then she was gone :cry: but thinking back now it only seems like 2mins until I was in recovery with her :cheer:

They recovery is hard work though and dont try and be hard and just go back to normal because ypu cant. You stay in bed for 24hr (ish) which I wont lie was the most horrible thing Ive had to do I was dreading the MW coming to get me out of bed. But once your up it is best. Then you have to try and shower :( I used the sit down shower and it was horrible so if you can avoid it try. I was so painful. I was crying the whole shower and trying to get dressed after. You have your dressing off that day too.

All I can say is relax and accept the help you are offered. The first night being able to see your baby but having to beeb a MW to pass them to you etc is emotionally draining and had me in tears but its worth it in the end.

And after all that I really would not have any problems with having a csection again if needs be and as csections go I really enjoyed mine :lol:

Sorry Ive gone on.

If you need to just PM me

xx

Hey honey not sure if this is too late for you but my section was fantastic, basically the same prep as the other ladies, shave and gown etc had my hubby in with me for all of it even the epidural AND spinal they gave me both as the spinal only last for max of 90 mins so they give both at the same time and then if need be can top you up,
I can honestly say it was such a fab birth, (i've had natural and section) and my recovery was easy and pain free, i was up outta bed 8 hours after the section had a shower not long after that and was totally healed on day 10 from the acutal wound, although it still feels numb now :doh:
Make sure you take loads of arnica and a female multi vitamin i swear its what made mine so easy, pm me if you want anymore info chicken and good luck :hug:

mary70 said:
from what i could gather hun when i had mine its a spinal block which is a bit stroger than an epidural and i also had morpine for the afterpain, i had an epidural for my normal birth with my son and had no affects at all but with the one for the section it made me reallt really sick within seconds of having it which i was told was normal and i had to have anti nausia medication and it also numbed me for longer

what she said too. The spinal was easier to get to work but like mary said, the sick feeling was nasty. They kept wafting a mediprep wipe under my nose which strangely worked.

I'm having a C Section as well. The booklet my hospital gave me says that they have cribs that they can hook onto your bed, so the baby is closer to you. Do you think I would still need to call a midwife to help me get the baby if I have that kind of set up?

I hadn't thought about not being able to get the baby after the C-section. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back