Pelvic floor exercises

Bella2

Reaction score
Does anyone know when you're supposed to start doing these? Also the best way to do them? I had a go today whilst sitting at my desk lol but not sure if I'm doing them correctly :oooo:

Pretty much straight away will help stop back pain too. U have to squeeze like ur stopping ur poo and then ur wee too hold it for 10 secs And relax. Do it 10 times twice a day. Also quick ones 10 of them twice a day too x

You can start doing them as soon as you can - the stronger they are the better your birth (apparently) and better the recovery!

We covered this in my ante natal class:

Sit upright, preferably with your hips slightly higher than your knees and legs slightly open.
KEEP BREATHING!
Tighten your muscles as if your trying to stop yourself from farting!
Then tighten your vaginal muscles as if your trying to stop a tampon being pulled out.
Then tighten your muscles as if your trying to stop weeing.
Hold for as long as you can then relax them back down slowly.

Repeat them in long holds and also in short bursts, repeating over and over again.

Now, here's the crazy bit, you're supposed to try and do 50 exercises a day! We decided the best way to remember is to do a few every time you wash your hands during the day - obviously you'll be stood up but the main thing is that you're doing something!

thanks very much girls - that's a useful way of describing how to do them to! x x

I always find myself pulling funny faces when i remember to do them, cant imagine what everyone think im doing!! x x

I struggle to fit them in and remember to do them but my MW suggested doing them everytime I logged on my PC on a morning at work, and everytime I am at a red traffic light, then that way I am defo remembering to do some!!! I hate doing them tbh I find them really hard work but I'd rather that and be better at pushing when the time comes!!!!

Also this might be a bit TMI but when I was on the Gyno ward with my hyperemesis there was a lot of ladies on there who were in for hysterectomys, one said to me that she wishes she had known about pelvic floor exercises as basically when we get older the pelvic muscles stretch and go baggy like a hammock and they cant support your reproductive bits so they all start to drop down and hang out (her words not mine!!!) and then you need it all removing with a hystorectomy, so it is defo worth making the Pelvic floor exercises a lifelong thing not just a pregnancy thing as it is really beneficial in the long run! Plus will save us a fortune in tenalady!! lol!!!

Oh god what a gastly thought - your insides hanging out - eeeeeeee! x x

My grandmother told me to do them when I was 16! She said they are good for womens health and for something I will understand later, lol

I've been struggling to remember them too

They really are so useful though - i really really wish i'd done them through my first pregnancy but didn't think they'd make a difference - they do!

:)

I try to do them while on train going to work :)

Funny I notice I often shake once when I start doing them - you know like if you are cold you sometimes shake your shoulders (it's kinda involuntary)? Well I get this when I do the exercises. Is it only me having this strange reaction?

Tighten your muscles as if your trying to stop yourself from farting!
Then tighten your vaginal muscles as if your trying to stop a tampon being pulled out.
Then tighten your muscles as if your trying to stop weeing

I need to practice! Ive been doing them but cant differentiate between the different muscles. I end up just pulling everything in at the same time!

Funny I notice I often shake once when I start doing them - you know like if you are cold you sometimes shake your shoulders (it's kinda involuntary)? Well I get this when I do the exercises. Is it only me having this strange reaction?

I can sometimes get a bit shakey with them, I also had other exercises to do for my back and they made my whole body shake like mad, physio said its coz the muscles are weak, and it stops as they get stronger.

Think about it as a lift. You age getting on the ground floor, then first, second, third floor (hold for 5-10 seconds) and back to the ground floor.

Then get on the ground floor and skip to the third, then ground again and so on

I try not to do them in public as I get get a bit :roll:. Cant do push ups for the same reason

hmm I'm really good with push ups.... And as I've been doing PF exercises for like 8 years now (not very regularly admittedly), I didn't think I would have very weak muscles... :(

just thought maybe I didn't explain it well... I don't shake down there - it's my whole body, like a very fast short cold shiver. Strange - I thought everyone experiences this, but guess not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back