To those who have quit smoking in pregnancy

Tillytots said:
How is everyone doing/feeling?

I know there was quite a few of us who quit smoking and I was was wondering how everyone is feeling and what your thoughts are now on smoking and smokers.

I smoked for I think 12 years, like 20 a day and prob 40 a night on weekends...the 'Ultimate Fag Hag' I stoppped something 4 days after my BFP and havent looked back since :cheer: I did it completely cold turkey and I have to say apart from making my baby its the best achievment in my life, I know I shouldnt have started in the first place...that was my dumbest move I ever made :roll:

I still have the odd dream where I'm smoking and sometimes wake up in a panic thinking Oh my God what have I done.. :lol: Before I quit I often wondered what Id do with all that time I used to spend smoking and now I dont know how I managed to fit smoking in really LOL!!

Anyway, I find myself now scowling at smokers, my lips curl and nose turns up at how much smokers stink :rotfl: Im such a cow! I cant help it though its bloody repulsive! Im worried about what happens when bubs is here as there is absolutely NO WAY on this earth anyone whos been smoking is getting near my bambino, breathing their sh*t breath over him :evil: my MIL smokes and Im unsure how to tackle it. Maybe its something I shouldnt even be worried about right now and just see what happens. I just feel so strongly about it, I stopped smoking for my Son and I'l be damned if anyone else is going to come along and be faggy all over him!

OH has been living with his Mum for a while now and he is really pee'd off that she has started smoking indoors again as he now stinks of fags. She had stoppped smoking indoors since she had the house all redecorated....after his Dad died of Lung Cancer last year but now has started again. OH quit smoking with me for baby and also because of his Dad so I think he is finding it a bit crap to deal with too :?

How is everyone else coping?

I quit cold turkey as soon as I got my BFP. Although I found it really hard, for me there was never an option to smoke while I was pregnant, its something I could never do, which also gave me the strength to quit cold turkey.

I am now a typical ex-smoker! I can't stand the smell of it, its so disgusting. Stick to your guns Hun and don't apologise for not wanting anyone breathing crap all over your little boy. If anyone that comes to my house that smokes, has to go outside in a jacket and hat that is not allowed back in my house. They have to wash their hands, mouth and face and not go anywhere near my son for at least 30 mins. Even if you smoke outside you still bring all the chemicals etc back in with you. I will not take Dan to anyone house who smokes unless they don't smoke on the day I go and they air out the place....................although it stills has a lingering stink!! And I don't care, I won't apologise for wanting to protect my son from the filthy habit

I quit smoking 4 days after my BFP, had to work myself up to it - daft thing is i smoked from about 14-16 then quit, then when i started working in the pub t 18 i started again, until i quit when i got my BFP 4 years later. I did it cold turkey and have had no problems whatsoever, it really hasnt bothered me not smoking but like everyone else realised just how bad it did smell and if we go to my OH mums house, they smoke and i get in and strip and put my clothes in the washing machine straight away lol.

I cant imagine me smoking again but i have heard of people who quit easily but then really craved the smoke after the baby was born lol. Hope that isnt me.

My OH always said i was a sexy smoker - he used to make me smoke whilst he "spooned with me" :rotfl: :rotfl: SO WRONG :rotfl:

I have now not smoked for 2 years & 3 months and it actually feels quite weird to say 'Im a non smoker'!!!

I smoked for about 16 years and probably smoked 20 a day. I was a complete 'fag bag'

Im so pleased I do not smoke, I have so much more money and obviously Im healthier. The only thing is I have still not gone back to my pre pregnancy weight, Im about 3/4 stone heavier. I think If I smoked I would of gone back to my normal weight.

I have noticed that pretty much all of you have said that you hate the smell now. I really don't hate the smell... in fact I like it :oops:

What's wrong with me? :cry:

andreaaa said:
I have noticed that pretty much all of you have said that you hate the smell now. I really don't hate the smell... in fact I like it :oops:

Strange lol.. My sister craved the last couple of puffs on a cigarette when she was pregnant!

:?

andreaaa said:

really?! I find it stings my nose LOL I cant believe how strong it is :shock:

i quit the minute i got my bfp. i threw the rest of my pack away and haven't touched one since.

I hate the smell now as well. In terms of people i know who smoke, they were told immediately there would be no smoking anywhere near my LO, family or not and if they got upset tough!. Harsh maybe but my OH agreed with me.

muppetmummy said:
I'm ashamed to say I smoked through my pregnancy with James. My midwife actually told me not to worry about stopping because of the stress I was already under with my relationship breakup! :shock: :shock:
James was born weighing only 5lb 15oz which I'm sure smoking played a part in. He also had breathing problems as a newborn, he did have an infection which caused that but again my smoking probably made him more susceptible :oops: :oops: :oops:
I feel so awful about it now, I was young and selfish when I fell pregnant with him and it took him actually being born to give me a wakeup call.
I managed to quit once he was a couple months old (I only smoked outside once he was born) and really regret ever starting in the first place when I was 11.

I haven't smoked at all during this pregnancy and I have noticed a difference. Babys bigger and more active.

I'm always in two minds whether to post about this as it is so shameful but I hope that by owning up to it others who are smoking when pregnant and kidding themselves it;s ok will see that there are consequences.

We all live and learn and the important thing is that you aren't smoking now :hug:

Hey well done for stopping everyone! i smoked from when i was about 11-12 and i stopped before i started my first IVF cycle and i have been a non smoker for 17 months, i stopped on Friday the 13th October 06 after i was told by the fertility doctor that smoking would cut my chances of getting pregnant by at least half, that was the kick i needed, my oh stopped before his first child was born (she is 24)
I found the first 4 days were the worse but i feel so much better now.

I have never even had one puff on a cigarette. Not one. In all 20 or so years of my life! That's probably makes me very odd!
Most people have at least tried it! But not me!

I like the smell of tobaco but not smoke.
And only when it's still in a pouch!

I guess i've never tried it because i was scared i'd like it!

My mum smoked through 3 of her 5 pregnancies! (i was the 4th so not with me). She told me how she used to balance the ashtray on her bump! I thought how awful that was! She does feel bad about it now, and she did quit a long while ago..

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread! Lol.

AND WELL DONE for quitting all of you :D

muppetmummy said:
I'm ashamed to say I smoked through my pregnancy with James. My midwife actually told me not to worry about stopping because of the stress I was already under with my relationship breakup! :shock: :shock:
James was born weighing only 5lb 15oz which I'm sure smoking played a part in. He also had breathing problems as a newborn, he did have an infection which caused that but again my smoking probably made him more susceptible :oops: :oops: :oops:
I feel so awful about it now, I was young and selfish when I fell pregnant with him and it took him actually being born to give me a wakeup call.
I managed to quit once he was a couple months old (I only smoked outside once he was born) and really regret ever starting in the first place when I was 11.

I haven't smoked at all during this pregnancy and I have noticed a difference. Babys bigger and more active.

I'm always in two minds whether to post about this as it is so shameful but I hope that by owning up to it others who are smoking when pregnant and kidding themselves it;s ok will see that there are consequences.

I think thats really brave and honest of you to admit that :hug:

Both me & hubby stopped when we started TTC so stopped about a month before my BFP. We also went cold turkey, I found it quite easy. Like most people have said the smell of smoke now really makes me feel sick, I cant stand it.

hi
maybe we can chat on msm about this tilly as we have the same issue with our mother in laws
yesterday we told our inlaws they had to smoke outside and wash their hands after, the handwashing thing didn't go down too well as my motther in law thinks im paranoid about germs anyhow.
how i am going to stop her going near the baby 30-40mins or even an hour after the baby i really don't know, it is worrying me as she is so supportive but smoked through 3 pregnancies and had no side effects and feels really hard done by.
worried
x

Ginnymarie said:
hi
maybe we can chat on msm about this tilly as we have the same issue with our mother in laws
yesterday we told our inlaws they had to smoke outside and wash their hands after, the handwashing thing didn't go down too well as my motther in law thinks im paranoid about germs anyhow.
how i am going to stop her going near the baby 30-40mins or even an hour after the baby i really don't know, it is worrying me as she is so supportive but smoked through 3 pregnancies and had no side effects and feels really hard done by.
worried
x

good idea hun! Il pm you xx

My MIL also smoked like a trouper during her 4 pregnancies :? All her babies were tiny....5lb ers. OH sis was only just 5lb at full term. I mentioned to OH earlier that I wasnt going to be happy with anyone holding the baby for at least an hour after they had a cig. He said he understood that but it actually never did him any harm. I reminded him it actually did as he was such a low birth weigth. I can see this is going to cause tension but Im not giving in uh-uh :shakehead:

Muppet mummy - HUGE welldone to you babes for quitting this time :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: there is no shame in posting about that. You have done a really good thing :D

xx

Giving up smoking is the hardest thing in the world along side loosing weight. I did mine cold turkey each time.

I smoked from age 9, yes 9, terrible i know :( until I stopped smoking in july 2003 shortly after I got with my non smoking DH. Then 4 months later I fell pregnant, I felt my stopping smoking certainly played a big factor in my falling pregnant. I stayed off the cigs until I went back to work in a pub and DS was 8 months.

Carried on smoking.....even when I was TTC, but i vowed to quit the second i got my bfp. And I did and have had about two cigs since my daughter was born after realising what a chav i looked pushing a buggy with a fag hanging out of my mouth and smelling like a tramp I havent touched them since becuse I was so disapointed and my oh has been such a great support to me.

I dont want to be the wrinkly fag smelling mum at the school gate. I hate the smell of fags and being near a smoker now annoys the hell out of me abd wouldnt let them near my kids either.

No offenxe to anyone that smokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back