Paracetemol and Codeine vs Co-Codamol

kellylou

Reaction score
I have really bad pains in my legs due to swelling and have to monitor for pre eclapsia at a& e the other week they advised could take co-codamol hubby has just been to get me some but not said I am pregnant and come back with paracetemol and codeine and now I don't know if I can take them boots are saying they are the same thing but on the box it says do not take if pregnant, paracetemol has not worked today still got headache and my legs are aching just don't know what to do my legs look like they belong on an elephant anyone got any advice.

The doctor prescribed co-dodamol for me when i strained the ligaments in my tummy through coughing. they say d ont use in pregnancy and i questioned it, but i think it is prolonged use (max. daily allowance for more than 7 days) that they are concerned about. these tablets are addictive, that is the only valid medical point to note. i wouldn't hesitate to take them if i wee in your situation, just be careful with how long you take them for. and maybe try and get the doctor to prescribe them rather than buying otc.

hope you feel better soon xxx

Last time I only took 2 and that sorted the problem so hopefully they will be ok for just one dose x

yes codein and co codamol are the same and u can take paracetomol onbetween aswell co-codamol just contin codein so u'll be fine xx

ah great i took paracetemol earlier today so was wondering if i could take the boots paracetemol and codeine so thanks x

Co-Codamol is just paracetamol and codeine, And Co-Codamol has the same warnings on it, But as long as its not a long term high dose, its fine.

co-codamol is usually 8/500 over the counter which is 500mg of paracetamol and 8mg of codeine. I took loads of co-codamol in my last pregnancy as I suffered with SPD but this time have been given co-dydramol for some reason.
You can take the codeine and paracetamol together (no more then 8 tablets in 24 hours) but dont take any other paracetamol containing products at the same time.

I only took one and it took the pain in my legs away so fingers crossed that was all i needed

Sorry to thread jack..

I didnt know you could get Co-Codamol over the counter?

yes, but in pregnancy it is probably better to discuss with gp and get the free prescription, simply so there is a record of what you have been taking.

Co codamol and paracetamol and codiene are exactly the same thing and have the same amounts of paracetamol and codiene in them 500/8.

X x x x

Will just mention that codeine can cause some people to go a bit 'loopy' and it can also have effects on your digestive system (constipation/cramps etc) if you're prone to that sort of thing.
You should also not take it for longer than 3 days unless your doc says to because it's the most addictive medicine you get otc.

Yep have had it before pregnancy was given it when I had bowel problems ?!!?!? I only need it when the pain is bad in the legs and so far only 1 caplet in 24 hrs

Yeah codeine backs up your system, for days if you are on it regularly, so if your already constipated.. Not fun LOL and wouldnt recommend trying to use your brain.. everything goes a bit woozy and ditsy lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back