Codeine?

Jajis

Reaction score
Has anybody else taken codeine during pregnancy?

I've had a really bad cough since Friday which means I am getting almost no sleep because every time I lie down I start coughing and have to sit back up again, and even trying to sleep sitting up isn't really working because it doesn't take long for me to shuffle down and wake myself up coughing again. I need sleep :nap:

I got a telephone appointment with my doc earlier and he told me to get some cocodamol because the codeine is a cough suppressant - he said it was safe, but he also told me not to tell the pharmacist that I'm pregnant because they wouldn't want to sell it to me if they knew...

I really want to be able to take it because I am so, so tired and miserable, but I don't want to take it if there's a reason that I shouldn't (why would the pharmacist not want to sell it to me if it's fine?).

I'm so confused?! :confused:

Last edited:
It's probs because it says consult ur doc so is probs prescription only or something. I'd believe the doc over the pharmacist any day zxx

IV taken it on and off during pregnacy for diffrent things (im one of those people who has everything wrong with them) I was first prescribed it in hospital, I looked up on internet and it said not to take it so checked with gp and midwife and they both confirmed it was ok to take so I wouldn't worry about it Hun xx

I have taken it regularly all pregnancy since 8 weeks Hun x

Thank you all :) Just freaked me out a bit the way he said not to tell the pharmacist!

My OH is going to get me some on his way home from work. I'm not going to take it very often, just before I go to bed to try and let me have some sleep tonight - I'll be a zombie tomorrow otherwise :nap:

I've only got 6.5 working days left before I stop work for Christmas so I want to go back and join in the festivities :lol: Not going back before I'm better though!

Last edited:
not sure about codeine, but i know co-codamol is ok. which is codeine and paracetamol.
so codeine should be ok
xx

they gave it to me in the hospital when i was pregnant so im sure its fine :) x

ohhhh and pharmicist seem to be no to everything these days

I think pharmacists are cautious as it can be addictive after more than a few days. Its a short term measure when doctors prescribe it usually. I seem to be quite sensitive to it i can feel my body relaxing after about 10 mins and i can go lightheaded with it. But for muscle pain or toothache it can be brilliant. The only way you can sleep sometimes. Never knew it was a cough suppressant so that's really interesting.

i once took codiene twice a day for a week.
the withdrawal was horrible.

it is highly addictive, it will trick your body into thinking its in pain so you take more of it.
so is not a long term solution.
xx

I have taken co-codomals for years when I need them for arthritis and have taken them through pregnancy. I can take them or leave them and sometimes go for days without taking any so don't find them at all addictive. I have just got over a nasty cough and cold and have taken some of the codiene seperates I have too for the cough. Codiene is ok in pregnancy according to my consultant as long as you stop taking before baby arrives cos it can slow the breathing down. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back