Owen Danzel Manning 17/05/11

catty1

Reaction score
I thought I would finally get around to posting my birth story. Beware - It's a long and traumatic one.

I started getting pains during the night before Sunday 15th May and these continued all day and started getting stronger in the evening.Throughout the night they were coming every 4-10 minutes and were pretty strong by this point. Throughout Monday they were pretty intense but kept going from every 4 minutes back up to every 7-10. I then started getting really uncomfortable because my bladder was killing me. After every contraction I needed a wee but hardly anything was coming out and it was getting really sore. I also developed a backache which meant I couldn't rest between contractions.

At about 3pm we went to the hospital to get checked out and the 20 minute car ride was the most uncomfortable thing ever. When we got there they examined me but I was only 2cm and as the contractions had not properly settled they wouldn't admit me. They felt baby though and to my horror he had turned back to back - hence the backache.

We headed home only to return 2 hours later as I just wasn't coping with the pain of contractions, backache and my bladder. This time I was 5cm and they admitted me even though the contractions still hadn't stabilised. I then laboured with tens machine and gas and air for about 6 hours by which point I had made it to 7cm. They then gaveme pethadine which sent me absolutely loopy but didn't really help with the pain. By 4am (9 hours after getting to hospital) I begged for an epidural but as I was on the midwife led unit they were reluctant so I had some more pethdine - cue more loopyness.

At 5am I begged agin for an epidural and they agreed to take me upstairs to the labour ward to have one. Once there they put me on a monitor and baby immidetly dropped his heart rate down to 70. Things went crazy then and my OH had to push the emergency buzzer. The room filled with people who were cutting off my clothes, sticking needles in me, shaving me and generally panicing. Once I was preped for surgery I guess babys heartrate went back up as they decided I didn't need a section after all. I couldn't have an epidural though in case it harmed him.

They put 3 different clips on babys head and put a catheter in me - this took 3 goes and I was livid!

I then laboured away for another few hours but got the urge to push. It was intense but i wasn't allowed as I was only 7cm still! Every contaction I tried so hard not to push but sometimes it was impossible and I had midwives yelling at me not to which I found really upsetting.

By 9am I was shattered and still no nearer 10cm dilation despite having my waters broken and being put on the drip. They then decided I could have the epidural if only to stop me trying to push and so I could have some rest.

I was so happy but unfortunatly after 4 tries to get the needle in and then 3 top ups of the medicine the epidural still hadn't worked so no relief for me!

They then decided that due to a ridge on my cervix I was never goimg to get to 10am so let me start pushing. I loved it! I pushed for over an hour before they decided I was too tired as the contractions were tailing off agin despite the drip. They then called to doctor to do a ventouse delivery.

The delivery was excruiciating and I was really surprised because I thought getting the head out was the worst part but for me the head was easy compared to the body. Once he came out I was so happy and my first thought was that he was soooo cute. We had skin to skin for a bit but I had to get my OH to take him after about 20 mins as I was so tired.

The placenta got stuck then so I had to go to surgery to have it removed. I had a spinal block for this which unfortunatly rose too high and made me feel like I was suffocating. Luckily it stopped at about nipple level but it was terrifiying to lie there feeling the anesthetic rise up my body and hear the theatre staff getting the crash trolley ready 'just in case'. All was well though and they removed the placenta and stitched up my cut and 2nd degree tear.

Once I got back to the ward and saw my OH and gorgeous baby I felt much better. it had been a very traumatic day but I had a lovely baby to take my mind off it.

I'm loving being a mummy and so far Owen is being a pretty good baby.

For a few days I was really teary reliving the birth but I spoke to a midwife and they are arranging me to have some counselling to talk it over with someone. I know people go through much worse and I'm probably just a wuss but for some reason I am finding it quite hard to get past it. People keep saying 'it was worth it though' but I can't see it like that. It's more like the pregnancy was worth having little Owen but the birth is something seperate. I'm sure in time I will come to see it in a better light.

I hope that hasn't put anyone off and that no-one thinks I'm a wuss. They way I see it is that people I know who have had easy births have had difficult babies so now I'm reaping the rewards by having a good baby.

Will post photos in a minute.

x

Now for a nicer post

Here is my gorgeous baby Owen. We love him to death and just want to eat him up!

Attachments

• DSC_0081.JPG
    DSC_0081.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 23
Oh poor you, sounds like you had an awful time. Owen is gorgeous, congratulations xxx

Gawd that sounds so traumatic!!

He's gorgeous!! X

He's so gorgeous hun, they are so worth it in the end, sounds like you did amazing xxxxxx

Oh hun sounds like a nightmare! Well done for getting through it. Your little boy is absolutely gorgeous! Huge congratulations!! :hug: xx

Awwq he's a cutey! Poor u at least the worst is over now x

Wow that was traumatic - well done you! He is such a cutie!!! xx

Sounds very traumatic for you, but Owen is completely gorgeous. Congratulations. x

Hope your getting over the birth now Hun, he's gorgeous congratulations xx

You are definitely not a wuss!! You did extremely well. He looks so cute! xx

omg what a nightmare, well done and what a cutie you have there!

He is a little cutie.

And nobody thinks you were a wuss, it sounds like you went through a horrible time xx

You're definitely not a wuss hun, that does sound traumatic and make sure you speak to someone about it.

Owen is just absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations to you all. Enjoy your baby moon.xx

Awww I totally agree with the other girls you really aren't a wuss at all. Sounds like it was very tough and no wonder you're finding it difficult to get over! But congratulations again! :) so glad he's being good for you! I can't see the pics on my phone, I'll have a look when I get on the laptop.

Well done catty

Congratulations hun. Owen is gorgeous.

And well done, your not a wuss at all. Hope you manage to speak to someone, I had a traumatic labour and birth. Its not an easy thing to go through and get over so I totally understand when you say you cant see it as 'it was worth it though'. :hug: x

That sounds like a really tough birth, you're definitely not a wuss. He is gorgeous though and hopefully you'll get support to get past the birth itself. Congratulations on your little boy :D

That sounds really traumatic, you are certainly not a wuss, your baby is gorgeous though...congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back