• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Overweight and TTC

galupy

Reaction score
No one who knows I'm TTC has said this to me but i can't help thinking and feelking that my being overweight is going to stop me conceiving/

I've 1 friend who seemingly keeps getting pregnant (and losing it) and she weighs more than i do but i know it's not that simple.

realistically, what effect does it have?

I am overweight galupy, but was also overweight 8 years ago when I fell pregnant with my DD. I'd be interested to hear what others opinions on this are too?

liz xx

Hi , I am 28 and 7 stone 6 and keep being told that's why I'm not pregnant. Think sometimes people use weight as an excuse

pple say that being over weight can effect u bt wat about those of us who are skinny i am size 8 and i am having hard time get pregnant hw can u explain that.infertility does nt discriminate ;-)

I was very overweight when I fell PG. we'd only been trying for 4 months. I think it's just down to the individual. From what I've read they say the being underweight or overweight can throw out your hormones. Personally I'm sceptical. I've got a friend who was very overweight and trying to conceive. Shes lost 4 stone and has still had no luck. All the tests show everything to be in working order.

I've had all my difficulties at a very healthy weight (between 8st and 8st 5lbs, I am 5ft 1in)

However I don't think anyone will argue that there are health problems associated with being overweight in general!!

xxxxxxxxxx

your bmi is balls though if you work out and hold muscle mass so i dont know why they use that? so confusing lol?

Weight can effect ttc and ovulation but think its specific to the person. Lots of heavier and lughter women have no problems. When I was too heavy I stopped ovulating and my af. Lost 5% body weight and it did come back. Ive now lost nearly 8 stone and have stopped again so my weight seems to effect me a lot.

Ive bought a book called the fertility diet which is a fantastic read and talks a lot about it nit necesarrily being your weight but what you eat that can effect your fertility. One thing however that I have found is that if (hope you never have to cone to it) like me you need to be referred for fertility treatment they will not allow you to have certain procedures etc if your BMI is too high.

I've been TTC for 22 months and have lost 2 stone and still no luck my bmi is currently 33.6 so still have 2stone to lose to be healthy bmi but I swim, play Netball and as lynette says bmi doesn't consider muscle mass xx

Depends how heavy you are?! It is dangerous to you and baby if you are severely over weight and to try reduce the risks to baby i will continue to diet/healthy eat when I hopefully eventually get :bfp:

I was told by Bristol Drs that if bmi over 30 ur 50% less likely to conceive than ppl with normal bmi x

Lynette and Drummer's Wife are right re: BMI. I was by far my heaviest (around 9.5st, but I'm only 5'3") when I trained for a half marathon.

I would think that living a healthy lifestyle, with loads of fresh fruit and veg and as little processed stuff as possible, plus regular exercise, is probably the most important factor. That said, being an unhealthy weight (whether too big or too small) is never good for your body.

If it's something that concerns you, why not see if there are any little changes you could make that will make you feel better? x

Being overweight period obviously carries it's own health risks but as far as ttc i concieved both of my boys on the first cycle and i've always been around the 15st mark. I really think it comes down to the individual person xx

I personally think that being overweight wont affect you getting pregnant, but I do think it depends on exactly how overweight you are... a stone or 2 wouldnt make much difference but I think if someone is massively overweight that could affect fertility. I know this from having a friend who struggled to get pregnant when she was about 6 stone overweight so she went on a diet and after losing 4 stone she got pregnant. Ofc Im probably talking a load of rubbish as everyone is so different and I have seen some ladies who are very big pregnant! GL though :)

I learned (on the biggest loser) that the way that being overweight affects fertility is this.

That your body fat (not weight I may add!) produces the hormone that is in the pill - effectively a contraceptive.

However, in saying that, I would imagine that it is down to the individual, and would guess (with no scientific knowledge) that body fat % would come into it.

Like everyone else has said, people who are the right body weight etc etc can have problems conceiving, so its impossible to tell.

No one who knows I'm TTC has said this to me but i can't help thinking and feelking that my being overweight is going to stop me conceiving/

I've 1 friend who seemingly keeps getting pregnant (and losing it) and she weighs more than i do but i know it's not that simple.

realistically, what effect does it have?

I am 23 about 1.59 Height and weight 60kg, with my first pregnancy which i mc my doc told me i was overweight and was only allowed to gain an extra 4 or 5 kg during my pregnancy. i felt like such a big fatty to be told that at my first doc visit. now that i look around there are so many skinny pregnant woman in France!! because of that its now expected to be pregnant and stay skinny!!!

I weighed more than I do now when I fell pg with my DS 12 yrs ago....I have a cousin who was and still is morbidly obese and fell pg. Hope that helps.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back