Outcome of my 20wk Scan

Keano_Forever

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

Sorry for not posting earlier, was quite a roller coaster appointment and I'm just getting my head around it now really.

Firstly, baby is fine, I was holding my breath as she looked for the heartbeat - and there it was!!!!

Baby was in breech position - no matter how the lady tried - and she did believe me - baby would not move :( :(
I was disappointed that I could not find out - but at least baby was well.

Next was the consultant appointment. I saw a lady, she was quite informal which I thought was a good sign. All was well until she said "So this baby will be born in this hospital then?" I said "No I want a home birth". Well you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife. She shook her head and said "No, I'm afraid you won't have"

She explained that I was still at risk - even though my section was nearly 5 years ago and she said that the risk starts to decrease after 2 years :? :?

She said that if I had a home birth then I could not have the essential monitoring that I needed that I would get in hospital. Also there would be no intervention from them, no sweeps no inductions. The most I would get would be my waters breaking.

So I asked if I don't progress after my waters break, what's next for me? She said they would do a 5 hour monitoring period after my waters are broken. If I am not dilating at around 2-4cms per 2 hrs then they would give me a c-section as my uterus would be under severe pressure and could rupture.

Next was the news that if baby remained in breech then it would be a c section too. Now I am only 20wks so there is 20wks for baby to change position.

I told her that I am 100% confident of having a home birth - I went with a detailed list of my previous births and what complications there were. She dismissed it completely.

I do not want another section - I would rather have 20 vaginal deliveries straight after another than another section. I do not want to go to hospital and I now feel a little like if I have a home birth then I won't get the same level of treatment or care if I was in hospital :cry: :cry:

I was so confident yesterday going in there, I feel now as if the wind has been taken out of my sails. I know I am probably over reacting and I apologize for that as it could have been worse

First of all I just want to say I'm glad baby is well.

But I'm so sorry you had some bad news. Couldnt you get a second opinion?

First of all let me give you these :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

You sound like you need them :hug: :hug:

secondly am i wrong in thinking (please correct me anyone who knows differently as I'm not 100% certain) but aren't they only aloud to advise you what they think you 'should' do at your birth but ultimately the choice is yours?

LMP x

hi hun i am with you on the normal v c section thing and i know a few women that have had home births after section, if i was you i would stick to your guns, you can always be transfered if anything went wrong :hug:

I'll reply in more detail in PM hun :hug: :hug:

Don't let them get you down. Really all is not lost and as has been pointed out, its only them 'advising' you and all the doom and gloom risks they are obliged to point out to cover themselves. There are many women out there who have had a previous C section who go on to have home births.

I'm glad the baby is well hun :D

Why won't they give you any help if you don't go naturally? I had a c section with my son and my consultant (should I say professor :lol:) told me if I don't go into labour naturally they'll give me an epidural and whack the drip on straight away to give me a good trial of labour before they even consider a c section and mine was only 2 and half years ago. I think you need to put your foot down hun, it's your body, your baby and your labour! You'll know if things aren't right.

I'm glad that the baby is doing well hun but sorry that you weren't given the news you were expecting re: the birth :hug:

Xxx

Sorry they weren't positive about your homebirth :( :hug:

Glad bubs is doing well though :)

I would stick to your guns and tell them you will be having a homebirth, there are many ladies on here that have had VBAC safetly in hospital with no problems ancd could of had a home birth.
They can have a ambulance on standby.

Hmmm could you maybe ask for a second opinion for your birth?

I dont know much, but i know how stressed I would feel if i was "forced" into having a birth I didnt really want...

x :hug:

Hi girls :wave:

Thank you all for your replies and good wishes. Yes the main thing was obviously the baby being ok and I am very thankful that he/she is :cheer: :cheer:

Sherlock - Thank you, thank you, thank you

Little Miss Pink - yes you are right they can only advise but boy do they lay it on hard! Thank you for the hugs!!

Strangeness - Consultant said that any intervention other than waters being broken is now fact that it puts too much strain on the uterus and therefore more change of scar rupturing. They are prepared to let me go 14 days over, examine me break my waters and go from there. Now really that is something to look forward too. The worry of going overdue then knowing if I don't progress my only option is a c section - which I don't want!!

Steelgoddess - I agree totally with you :hug: :hug:

To everyone else you are wonderful :hug: :hug: :hug: :cheer: :cheer: :hug:

i dont know for sure but Ive read enought vbac stories on here to be convinced that it is possible. Paradysso being the most recent that I have spoke to.

Dont accept their negative attitudes.

I had 2 sections and section 2 was the worst decision I made. I could have done that baby on my own. No1, I couldnt, she was a whopper but Joe was smaller, skinnier.

You fight for your home birth :hug:

Great to hear all's well with your baby :hug: :cheer: :hug:

Sorry you're feeling like the wind's been knocked from your sails, but you told them how you felt, you should feel pleased with that :hug: It's your choice if you birth at home or not, you can also change your mind from home to hospital whilst in labour, and whichever happens you will receive the upmost professional care, whether you are advised against your personal choice or not :hug:

You homebirth 'checks' won't be for a while yet, so I'd just rest on your feelings and face the professional advice closer to birthday, there's no point upsetting yourself any further right now :hug: There are possible circumstances that could arise with a VBAC, but you are fully aware of that, and they should support your final decision based on you having fully looked at the situation :hug:

Very best wishes, focus on baby being well and happy I'd say :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back