Our landlord is selling the house

Amanda

Reaction score
I got home from work on Friday to find a letter from the letting agency announcing that the owner is selling the house we are living in and we have to be out before the 7th June!! :evil:

How the hell are we going to find somewhere else and move in that time?? And we go on holiday on 5th May for 2 weeks so that really only gives us 6 weeks! And there are 4 bank holidays as well, so realistically that is 5 weeks. There are no homes to rent at all in the area, and even if there was, we would really struggle to get one for 2 main reasons. We have a dog and private landlords aren't keen on them. We both have poor credit ratings. This means that we always fail any credit check. With my current house I was lucky enough to know the owner of the letting agency (since retired and sold up), and he put my retired dad down as guarantor and lied on the form saying that he had a private income which could cover the rent.

We have been on the council list for ages, and have 113 points. But we have been told that we would need a minumum of 134 points to be housed in the area.

We would love to be able to buy our own house, but it really is not feasable. I earn £23k per year, but will be having 5 months on £106 per week later this year, then paying over £500 per month childcare once I return to work. DH is only on £12k per year, and he is also trying to get back to his original and chosen career of golf course greenkeeping. He has applied for a job at his old golf course and thinks he has it. If he gets it, it may be even less money as the wages are crap (he'll be happy though :D ). The average price of a 3 bed semi in this area is £130k, and without a deposit there is no way we could get that much on a mortgage. Even if we could, there would be no way we could find a house, put an offer in, get a mortgage and move by 7th June!

I have absolutely no idea what we are going to do.

I will ring the council in the morning to let them know, and to fax them the notice through, but I can't see it helping. They can't just magic a house out of thin air for us, and I wouldn't expect them to. The last time I mentioned to the council that I wasn't sure if the tenancy would be renewed (last year), the lady said that if we became homeless, we would be placed in a hostel for at lest 8 months whilst we waited for a house to become available!! And I can't see them letting us take a dog to a hostel, and he is part of the family so will go wherever we go. The only hostel is 8 miles away from here, in a really dodgy area. My daughter goes to school 5 minutes walk away from our house, my job is only 2 miles away, and if DH gets his job, his cousin works there so they will car-share, and he lives round the corner from us!! Everything is so convenient here, and I have no idea how we'll cope if we end up miles away.

I am trying to concentrate on the positives. I really hate this house. The garden was dug up so bad by their dog that you can't get a mower over it and it is so overgrown and can't be used in the summer. The windows are really old and the wind blows through them. It's small. There is no bath, and I really need a bath to ease me backache at the minute. It may all work out for the better in the long run. DH said this morning that we could survive in a hostel if it meant getting somewhere at the end of it. I suppose at the end of the day, it would be a roof over our heads and that is more than some people have.

So, I've sent DH down the pub this afternoon to spend money we really should be saving for moving. We've also been to the sports shop this morning and bought us both a new England home and away shirt each to cheer us up!! :lol: I normally have a ladies 10/12, but today I've bought mens size L !!!!! :shock: It's gotta fit in 9 weeks when the World Cup's on!!! :lol:

Anyway, I'm really not feeling that bad about it, I'm just annoyed and scared at what's going to happen and where we are going to go. And 8 weeks seems so close!! :shock:

Tankett honey I sympathise with you totally, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that something will be round the corner for you. I know that it isn't helping with your situation, but try to stay positive and don't stress yourself out too much, you need to stay calm for the baby!! Could you not ask the landlord to write you a reference stating how you have always kept up with payments etc that you could use to support your application for renting another property?

When you say you will be on 5 months at £106 won't you also be getting some money from your employers? I think that mine is paid at one month full pay, then so many months at 90%, then it drops to half pay but with statutory maternity pay on top and then the final month is just statutory maternity pay - I know what you mean though I have had sleepless nights worrying how we are going to cope.

I am pleased that you have got yourself an England top! I was looking at mine this morning, (it's not the new one) but is a womans size 12 and was thinking, wonder if I will be able to fit into that by the 10th June, then I thought NO CHANCE!!!!!

Xxx

Tankett, You will be classed as homeless when that date arrives so the council will automatically see you as an urgent case, Especially if there is no where to let or buy in your price range, they told me when that happened to me that they would put me in a hostel and it was a dump, i told her that if she would put her kids in there then i would as she saw my point and i got a house within 1 month!!

Give them a go hun, its worth a try

hi mate i no how u feel, i hate private renting i was living in one house and had to leave when i was 12weeks preg due to landlord selling up then when i was 33 weeks preg the new landlord decided to sell up found a new place living there till my baby was 10months while i was 25weeks preg by then and the landlord decided they wanted to move back in...

Oh hun i'm so sorry to hear about that. Hope everythings goes well for you and your family and you get some where soon.

winstanley said:
Oh hun i'm so sorry to hear about that. Hope everythings goes well for you and your family and you get some where soon.

Ditto.

Nicki.x :(

Sweetheart .. chin up, i know its hard but think positive!

Have sent you an E-mail ..

Thinking of you all ...

Imi x

Housing is so pants...my partner and i cant afford to privately rent but they wont give us a council place either cos we are not homeless. We live with my parents. Its a catch 22 situation, it gets v depressing sometimes.

Really wish you luck finding a new place, I believe in fate alot so this might be a good thing in disguise, you may end up with the house of your dreams next (or something better than what your in now). Get on to the council, give them some sh*t thats what i say!! Lol xx

hi, i really would go and see a mortage adviser.
and get your self on a house buying list.
Not being funny but earning £14K as a veterinary nurse i know alot of my work mates who earn the same and lower have mortgages.

if ou can get a house its not dead money - renting is, speak to a good adviser before giving up.

there are people out there - i know a friend who was declared bankrupt and she now has a house and a terrible credit rating.
what about looking at a 2 bed house go as small as you can cope with then you can sell and protif later. look at new houses they are sometime cheaper then.

there are ways round it.

i looked into buying a house but with not so good credit rating i need 5% deposit and i havnt even got any ccj's
so if im looking for a 3bed house for £100,000 its will be manky but ild need to find £5000 thats not easy when i have no savings

Yep...me and Dionne have had tihs conversation before, I have no savings whatsoever :oops: and I can get a mortgage for about 68,000 which aint enough. Renting privately in my area is about £550.00 per month for a 1 bed....Council is gonna be my only oppotunity but you cant get a damn place unless your homeless!!! Its really wrong.

Thanks for all of your replies girls. Back to work today so normality helps me stop thinking about being homeless in 2 months! :shock: :lol:

Lindsey, my Mum said the same as you - everything happens for a reason and this may be a blessing in disguise. With regards my maternity pay, I'll be getting 90% of my wages for 6 weeks, then just standard maternity pay of £106 per week after that. You are really lucky! :lol:

Yvonne, I've called the council this morning and they need to see the letting agents letter to make sure they are doing it legally before they can even give me any advise. So it's in the post and I'll ring him tomorrow. The good news is that the housing officer is DH's best friends brother!! :lol: Fingers crossed.

Dionne - you've had it tough haven't you??? So I do have a further 4 weeks if we need it? That's really good to know because it's the timescales involve that really bother me.

Imi - I haven't got your email hun??

Hypnorm - It is s lovely idea, thanks. But there is no way we would get a mortgage. We both have bad history (mine coming from an ex leaving me £15k in debt), and DH's from being a typical 'lad' when he was younger (not that long ago! lol) and taking out loads of store cards and never paying them. My debts are all cleared, but I know his aren't. Therefore as the others have said, we would need a 5% deposit for anything. We tried a while ago, and the most that anyone would lend us was £105k if we could come up with the 5%. There is nothing, absolutely nothing in this area for that money. A 2 bed house would be no good as we already have a 13 year old, and also there are no 2 beds round here. They are all 3 bed semi's. There is a new development of 800 houses being built on the edge of our village, and the cheapest 3 bed town house is £160k!

Thanks to everyone else for your kind wishes. I know we'll be okay, it's just the waiting and knowing that I'm relying on others to make the decisions for me. I like to be in control, and now I'm not. :evil:

I'll let you know how I get on when I call the council tomorrow.

be nice to get a council house ild love one lol iv got high dreams in life, but just that secure home will be lovely knowing i can get cosey and decorate how i really like it knowing i can stay there for yrs!!!!

Tankett.. what are the council areas like round by you

its stupid!

That's all I want Dionne. Somewhere to settle and decorate. I've lived in this house for 2 years without being allowed to decorate and it's awful. I've warned DH that if we do get a council house he'll see a different side to me. I used to own my own house, I'd start in one room, carry on, and then when the whole house was finished, I'd start again!!!! :lol:

We're quite lucky that there are lots of villages and they only have small council roads on them, not even estates. I live in Birstall in Leicestershire and this is Charnwood Borough Council which is pretty good. The only thing I'm dreading is if they offer us somewhere in Shelthorpe in Loughborough! Now that is awful!! And it's about 10 miles away from where we currently are so there is no way my daughter could stay in the same school.

Imi - I lied - I did get your email!! I've just remembered to check my other account!!! :lol:

I hope you sort things out, Im 20 and OH 21 and were lucky enough to have our own house, it was very scary at first becuase its such a huge commitment and the prices of houses are scary! I never thought we'd be able to get a mortage but hey here we are all settled in our home. Have you spoken to a mortage adviser? try making an appt with an independant finanial adviser becuase they have access to all the lenders and if you do not have enough for a deposit then Northern Rock will give you a 100% morgate and I dont think you have to have excellent credit score either, its worht a try the finanial advisers are great and will try all different ways and Im sure will come up with something. something to think about no harm in maming an appointment its free! good luck

p.s sorry if uv already said this I havent read the whole thread!

i failed for 100% mortgage with northen rock and iv only got red letters for late payments never a ccj

i really would speak to a mortgae adviser - or financial adviser even if they say no way at least you will have tried that option.

Lindsey - how are you managing to get maternity pay plus your usual wages - i only got 90% of my wages for the first 6 weeks and then 106 per week for the rest. i certainly didn't get anything extra.

I had a friend whose ex left her with around 32k of dept - she had to declare bankruptcy she now has a rented house and is a single mum living with her brother = she onyl works part time but gets vaious benfits, income support etc.

Hypnorm, some companys will give u extras im sure the nurses get longer, i work for BT i get 18weeks full pay 4weeks 90% wages then 6months £106 a week
very lucky i no, but with my first child i only got what your getting so i had to return to work after 6months

Awwww Tankett hun, im so sorry you are having such a tough time, its great you are looking at the positives. I really dont know what to suggest, but please keep your chin up.
How about coming to live up here in Hull with me....£105k can get you a lovely 3 bed semi in an niceish area :D
Its only been voted the worst city in UK 3 years running LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Hypnorm I am entitled to 6 weeks at 90% of a weeks pay and 12 weeks at 50% pay plus flat rate statutory maternity pay and then 8 weeks at lower rate statutory maternity pay, 26 weeks in total. It would have been different if I wasn't intending to return to work after having the baby, but I am.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back