Opinions! Should i get the DOG!!!

xshauna_bazx

Reaction score
Theres a little yorkie for sale and ive fell in love!!! If my landlord says yes should i??? you know with being pregnant and that will the dog be hard work with a baby? better be quick incase he says yes lol! xxx

EDIT: its a little puppy!!!

Last edited:
we have a shuh suz and he was one when Herbie was born and has been great with him. My mam has just got a yorkie and is about 20 wks old now and if she brings her we cant put the baby in his bouncer as she would be on his head she never sits still and as she is still so younge she is bieting chewing all the time and we have to be careful with herbie she dosnt mean it shes just being a puppy.
Even if you have herbie on your knee she jumps up and just trying to be nosey but her claws are sharp.

What about paying the dog attension as well as a baby as i have a rabbit already and when i get a council house im taking my parrot from my mams. i really love my animals an dont want them to get left out as stupid as it sounds xxx

Last edited:
I have a yorkie, she's nearly 13 now so I had her long before my kids. She's always been very good with the kids but is quite jealous when she isn't getting the attention. Yorkies do tend to be attention seekers, and bark every time someone knocks and wakes the babies! xxx

I've got 3 cats a dog and 9 week old baby! i personally wouldn't get a puppy whilst pregnant as they take a lot of hard work and they see everything as a toy. my dog is a jack russell cross she was 2 just before Tegan was born and she has been great with her. its totally Upto you Hun xx

I've got a big dog so not quite the same as a Yorkie, but my concerns are her getting jealous about the baby - at the moment she gets nearly all my attention, her bashing into the baby accidentally - she is clumsy and a bit unaware of personal space, and when baby comes, walking her when the baby is very little - she pulls on lead and is quite a handfull; if you think about the problems the dog might bring and whether you can deal with them, you'll have to weigh up whether it's worth it or not. If I didn't have my dog already I wouldn't get one at this time, would wait till the baby was a couple of years old, but then again the dog might be no bother.

Personally I wouldn't. I'd wait until after baby arrives to think about getting a puppy because then you have an idea of how much work is involved. We had the option of a kitten when I was pg and I said no because a baby animal needs almost as much (if not more) work and attention than a human baby! x you're choice at the end of the day x

Aww I am biast as I :love: animals so much and would give them all a home if we had the space, I would say yes but it has to be your choice.
All you need to take in to account is that it will be a lot of hard work and time consuming but if you think you are up to it then I would go for it.

We have two staffys. Ive had one since she was 7 weeks old when i lived at home with my mum, and she moved with me when me and hubby bought our house and the other we got when she was 5 months old (my eldest bitch is 3 and youngest is 2 now).
They are hard work, especially when puppies as they need so much attention and are very time consuming when it comes to training, walking etc.
I wouldnt change the fact that we have the girls because they are part of our family, but I dont think I would have taken them on whilst pregnant, I seriously dont think I would have had the energy. But at the end of the day hun, its your choice!It all dependss on whether you think you can commit the time and effort needed xxx

Last edited:
Puppys take a lot of patience when training....mix that with a new bay and sleepless nights and personally I would not do it! lol

Also you need to ask yourself if you can afford it.

I have 2 dogs (Springers) would not change them for the world but tbh I am pretty worried about how the one will react to a baby and not getting attention when she wants it. It is very worrying. xx

Thanks for all the comments the dog got sold :(
im still wanting one...i think
theres a 9 week old staffy for sale. Some people are telling me im stupid!!! i love animals and have always wanted them i didnt know having a baby would affect it? the dog wont be much of a pup when baby is here and will be trained. I really dont know what to do now :( had my heart set on that dog...now everyone is saying a baby is hard work without a dog aswell....:(

A baby will be hard work and so are animlas, BUT if you think you have the energy to do both then I do not see a problem!
You know you best hun!
I love my two bun buns and I wouldnt change them for the world BUT they are hard work and quite demanding and I know I am goign to have my work cut out when the baby comes but I would never change that, as I :love: my little buns more than the world so I am just going to have that much more work to do but who cares, they are all my children!!

Last edited:
I love animals & really really wanted a cocker spaniel puppy. We have 2 cats & a fish tank already. I know you have said in previous posts that you have been strapped for cash. Try to use your head rather then your heart. You can always get a dog when you know you are secure financially. As you get so emotionally attached to your pets, you have to think dog food, biscuits, collars, pet insurance & if you're not insured the costs if they become ill & trust me that is expensive! I also thought that they need a good walk at least twice a day in all weathers & is it something you would be prepared to do with a pram in tow? I think the time for our household & a puppy is just not right yet, but I'm never saying never! Think also that puppies chew - ruined toys, baby items, furniture etc. Are you prepared for that too?
If you feel you can do all the above, then go for it hun. But if there is a flicker of doubt don't do it until you're 100% sure.

Sunnyb xxx

Staffys make fantastic dogs, but you need to be dilligant and strict with your training because they can be very strong willed and in some instances totally pig headed and stubborn.
If you went for the staffy, when your baby arrived, it would still be classed as a puppy and youd still have a fair way to go where training is concerned, especially in regards to chewing and the fact that they dont hit adolesence until they are around 18-24 months, so they remain very much puppy like. They love their walks and can be on the go for 3 hours at a time without tiring (them not me!!) There are just lots of things to think of hun, if you really want a dog, do lots of research on them first and think about whether its the right time to add one to your life. The last thing you want is to find you cant cope and then the dog end up in rescue xxx

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all your advice and opinions. Well i'm glad i never got one last night...i really thought my landlord would of said yes but he knows we want to move and had the cheek to say to me "you can have a dog if you dont get a council house and just stay here" in others words he didnt mind but just wanted to be a little fucking prick so pissed off, but i think i will wait now til the baby is here and older xxx

Last edited:
I think you've made the right decision babe, I'm like you, I love animals but theres nothing worse than being up all night with a little one then coming down to find the dog has left a lovely present for you to clean up in the morning!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back