Opinions on buying early/bargains

fairyprincess

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So cut a long story short...it's looking like I'm going to lose my job in about 3 months. So basically I'll have 3 months more full pay, hopefully a pay out of another 3 months pay and then nothing- no mat leave.

I know it's going to be absolutely fine as I will be free of my anxiety issues and be able to solely focus on me and baby. DH earns a good amount and we have some savings.

This weekend we've been discussing some cutbacks we're going to make to our outgoings. Nothing major just change our tv package, get rid of window cleaner (things that won't make a huge impact really).

Anyway, one of the tweeks to spending I'm going to make is to buy some baby stuff 2nd hand. I've been looking on my local eBay and there's some fab bargains on there- for example a Dutalier glider nursing chair for £0.99.

Basically, as it's still early in my pregnancy would I be stupid to start looking/potentially bidding on some bargains?

I would keep them in our summer house so they would be stored until later in the pregnancy.

Thanks for any advice x

Go for it hun.

You can't jinx anything by buying early.

It would be sensible to get any bargains and things you need wine there's still a joint wage coming in.

Go shopping hun!!

:)

XX

Lol thanks! I love a bargain at the best of times but it would really help to spread the cost out. Especially with eBay, sometimes you've got to grab things whilst you can!

I prob won't buy too much until I know gender but some neutral things won't matter e.g. The chair x

I'd do it. In no way will it affect the outcome of your pregnancy whether you buy something now or in 6m!!

Have you looked into maternity allowance from the government rather than SMP by the way? You should still get something xxx

I don't really know about these things but not sure I'd be entitled to anything as my DH earns x

Maternity allowance is a right. They can't sack you for being pregnant, if they are making everyone redundant I would speak to the citizens advice bureau or the job centre about your rights and maternity allowance.

Also, whilst bargains are great, some are not as much of a bargain if they end up not getting much use.

I never bothered with a nursing/glider chair but I still breastfed both babies, the last one for many years.

I'd think realistically about what you need and what you don't... Things like bottles and sterilisers and dummies are not essential, nor are fancy baby monitors as the safest place for a baby to sleep (or nap) is in the same room you are in.

They're not sacking me cos I'm pregnant, they don't even know that yet. They're getting rid of me on absence capability because I have been off sick for so long. I'm not well enough to return and have no desire to with the way they've treated me so it is what it is.

I agree totally about things not always being needed. I had a friend who bought every baby item going and only used some so I will be careful what I buy x

Erm, bottles and sterilisers are pretty essential if you're not bf!!

Hun if you want to buy the chair buy the chair! It's your baby, so buy whatever you want for it!!

Sounds like you'll be happier off work if they're not treating you all that well.

XX

You will likely be entitled to Maternity Allowance from the government. Last pregnancy I had only started at my job 4 weeks before finding out I was expecting so I was technically pregnant when I started and therefore not entitled to SMP. My husband earns a fair amount but MA isn't means tested - everyone is entitled to it if:

you’re employed, but you can’t get Statutory Maternity Pay
you’re self-employed and pay Class 2 National Insurance
you’ve recently stopped working

You have to have to have been employed for 26 weeks out of the past 66 weeks before your due date.

Have a look on gov.co.uk xxx

Thanks I'll have a look I've been employed by them for 6 years and won't be leaving until April and I'll be approx 20 weeks pregnant so I should qualify by the sound of it! X

You're welcome - it isn't a fortune; I got about £138 a week based on having previously worked full time - but it's better than nothing! x

You'll definitely be entitled then - it's basically SMP without the 90%. So if you were planning to have nothing then this will be quite a help I imagine!!

You'll get 90% of your top however many payslips over the last however long, so make sure you submit the highest earning ones xxx

Thanks so much ladies, I've had a little look and it's looking like I qualify which is a huge weight off my mind! Once everything with work's payout is sorted I'll apply. It's not tons but with savings and DH's salary we'll be absolutely fine! X

Id deffo go for it. I bought in stuff after my early scan it does help spread the cost.

Also ask your MW about the £500 voucher. In scotland if we are entitled to it we get it, I earn too much. Its a new baby voucher or something? One of the ladies on here may have got one and have more info.

xxxx

Is this the SureStart grant? I'm not sure I qualify for that but everything is worth looking into after the crappy situation I'm in! X

Yes!! This!!

You dont usually apply until later on in the pregnancy, so if your not working then you may well be entitled!

It probably cover a couple of big items. Worth a look into hun.

xxxx

I breast feed and I still have a steriliser and bottles for expressed milk every now and again, and I didn't get a posh chair but now my lg is 8 months and in her own room I find myself sitting on a hard kitchen chair in the nursery for 20 mins or so a night wishing I had a nice soft chair. If could get one at that price I would.

Go for it! Be realistic obviously but if you can get a bargain do

There are also some great local Facebook groups where you can buy second hand baby stuff very cheaply. I've had some great bargains off there

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back