One sac with heart beat and one sac empty

Cheesypie23

Reaction score
Hi ladies, hoping I can pick your brains.

We had an early scan at what we thought was 7 weeks (measured 6+4) the sonographer found 2 sacs. One with a good strong heartbeat and yolk but another slightly less easy to see sac that was empty. Now the lady said it could have been a twin it was hard to say and she was struggling to see them both as I have a tilted uterus.
I hadn't really thought about it since, knowing the statistics for the amount of pregnancies that start out as twinnies but end up with one vanishing. But today at my booking appointment I was talking to the midwife about it and she said they might not have been able to see a heartbeat in the second sac because one can measure behind the other so it wasn't visible yet. She said we'll find out at the 12 week scan next month.

So I guess my question is... has anyone experienced this? If so and you wouldn't mind sharing, what was the outcome?

Sorry, i didnt want to read and run. I dont have any experience in this but all i can say is i hope that all is well & i hope someone can give u some advice xx

I'm surprised they didn't offer you another scan a week or so after xx

The first was a private early scan we had done, and midwife appointment today was booking in one for nhs x

My last pregnancy was twins. I had a private scan at 6+5 and they could see 2 heartbeats but I don't have a tilted uterus but at my 12 week scan my twins didn't measure quite the same baby b was slightly smaller and was all the way through so could be possible hun xxx

Hiya, I had a private scan at 7 weeks too. I had exactly the same result. 2 sacs one empty one heartbeat. At my 12 week scan the second sac was not even evident. The sonographer said that the sac can be consumed by your healthy pregnancy. I'm now 36 weeks pregnant with a singleton pregnancy and guess I will never know if it was 2 babies or a cyst. I hope you get the outcome you desire xx

Good luck for your next scan, I hope it all goes well. I was a twin to start with too

Good luck with your scan. You could book another private scan in a week or so if you wish?

I had the same thing. Had one gestation sac right at the top and another sac which was empty. Took a while for her to even find the yolk sac in the highest sac and she eventually did. This was really on at 5wks. She rescanned me and the sac had then been absorbed. She suggested it was twins but only one developed and being that early on the body absorbs the liquid and sac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back