OMG! I'm going to be a dad!

SniperMonkey

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been looking for a good place to hang out in my haze that is "father-to-be-dom" and this looks like the right place.

My wife (30) and I (34) have been trying since November and she is now 5 weeks pregnant with our first child. I am so excited.

I am on the handout for any advice you can give her/us.

What can I do to make it as easy as possible for my wife / make my unborn baby as healthy as possible diet wise....anything?

I don't know where to start.

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to becoming friends with so many new people.

Yours,
Stuart and Lindsey

Hi and welcome, Advice would be to pamper your wife. She may feel pretty rough over the next 7 weeks.

if you have any chest hair get rid of it as its likely to get pulled off in labour by your wife lol

congrats.

1) tell her to keep calm and try not to worry about every symptom/ lack of symptoms but whenever she is concerned to speak to her mw as they will give the best advice.

2) if she is really sick dont worry that the baby is starving they feed off a yolk sac in the uterus for a few weeks, just make sure she keeps her fluid levels up quite high

if you ever want to ask anything feel free to send me a private message or ask away on here everyone will gladly advise

3) have her start taking folic acid asap till about 12weeks, if it make her feel sick then a cup of ovaltine a night will do the job as it containd folic acid

Completely agree with roxane. Folic acid is a must, a healthy balanced diet and lots of foot rubs and baths! Your wife will probably feel sick, exhausted and rough. Ice poles are quite nice to keep in the freezer if she suffers from morning sickness. Congratulations!! xxx

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your responses. I'm taking it all in and trying to absorb everything. I'm getting quite protective of the little bump already (you know what I mean).

I have just ordered her some Travel Sickness Bands off of ebay. Are they as good as people say or just a fallacy?

I have just ordered her some Travel Sickness Bands off of ebay. Are they as good as people say or just a fallacy?

They work for some people and then not for others. The same as morning sickness is really bad for some ladies and some ladies barely get it at all.

Us ladies are all different!! :lol:

Thanks, and the very best of luck with your pregnancy and congratulations too :)

hi welcome congrats on going to be a dad

Congratulations!! Think the girls have pretty much covered it, the only thing I would add is to really listen to everything she tells you, my OH is doing this half listening thing at the moment and I'm just about ready to punch his lights out!

Seriously though, pamper her, be attentive, be understanding when the hormones get the better of her, and don't laugh if she does anything silly. Pander to her very desire, and learn how to look after a newborn, and you'll be the perfect husband and daddy :)

Congrats again!

Hello and congratulations!! Not got anything to add, but want to wish you luck :)

Congratulations!!

My advice would be just to be as understanding as you can and take an interest in her pregnancy and educate yourself about what she is going through. I wish my OH had done this more to be honest.

I get fed up being treated like an invalid! I am pregnant not ill! I would rather people be supportive of me in my condition rather than wrap me in cotton wool and then getting cross with me for doing things perfectly within my capabilities even in my pregnant state! :)

Everyone is an individual though and you know your wife and how she likes to be treated- she may love being wrapped in cotton wool ;-)

I wish your wife a happy and healthy pregnancy and the most important advice I can give to you both us to enjoy every single second of it as it goes sooooooo fast!

XX

XX

Congratulations! The others have all given you excellent advice. Just enjoy it, it goes very quickly! x x

aww you are soooooooooo sweet! I dont think you are going to struggle at all to know what to do to help your wife.

what I would say is do more housework, cook, give her back rubs and ankle rubs if they get sore. Run her nice baths (warm, not hot as its bad for baby) and just generally understand that she is gonna be bloody knackered for the next few months.......... and narky, and sick, and hungry.

I echo all of the above :)

Congratulations by the way.

As the other ladies have said just be as understanding as possible, if she says she is tired and wants to go to bed at 7.00pm let her do just that :)

If you want to know more about the actual care of baby and the labour options try an NCT class I can't recommend them enough.

Any questions feel free to ask :)

x

the sickness bands work for me. make sure when she first wakes up in the morning she sits up slowly has something plain to eat like toast and a drink, your body's blood sugar levels are lowest in the morning making the sickness worse. things with ginger are good too

In the first few weeks I felt really icky and would only eat in evening if my fella made me something- I couldn't stand to cook for a while. Looking at dirty dishes in yucky water made me feel ill too so I didn't do the washing up. I did natal hypnotherapy to help me relax about labour and it really worked for me. Its a way men can really play a part in the labour, my OH didn't really get that involved in it however and I had all these trigger words etc written in a book for him. In the end I went totally in myself and didn't want him to touch or talk to me during contractions! ( I know this is long way off for you) holding his hand was great towards the end though. Every woman is different so take your cues from her, but just be supportive. I got super emotional at times and my fella just hugged me better every time. The fact yr on here says a lot!

They worked and continue to work for me :)

What a lovely OH you are doing all this research! My OH has 2 books on fatherhood in his side drawer still unread. Grr! Lol. I love him really! x

^^ What they said! :) But massive congratulations and wishing you all the best xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back