Oliver Benjamin Somers 30/11/10 Planned Section

mdsremos

Reaction score
I went for my pre-op on Monday 29th and was warned that if anything was found to be wrong, even the smallest thing, I would be kept in til next morning so to take my bags with me. All my pre-op was perfect however because of the gestational diabetes I would have to return at 8pm that evening for monitoring as I would need to fast from midnight and they were concerned in case I had a hypo.

I arrived at 8pm and was taken to a side room and DH stayed with me til 9.30pm even though all partners were asked to leave the ward at 9pm but he needed to know when to return in the morning. Finally managed to ask one of the midwives and she told him to return at 8am as there were no other sections planned for 30th so would be first down to theatre unless an emergency came in. I was left in the room and noticed that it was really busy so decided at 10.30pm to change into my nightie and settle down until the staff were ready to deal with me. At 11.30pm I was finally seen and my obs recorded, wrist band sorted and told to monitor my bloods throughout the night and just let them know if I had any problems....could have managed that at home!

Next morning and having managed without a having a hypo, the aneathetist visited and ran through my history, all the pros and cons of the procedure and made sure I was happy with everything as well as noting that I was not keen to have morphine after the op as it made me hallucinate so agreed to IV paracetamol (just as good as morphine!!). Next visit was from one of the Dr's I worked with in A&E for 6 months who had changed rotation to Obs & Gynae and revealed that he would see me in theatre as he was assisting :shock:.....couldnt believe it!! Then the main man, James Nash, came to visit and went through the procedure and checked position of baby. He mentioned that baby was engaged which I corrected him about as he had been breech for months and he then agreed with me. He came back 1/2hr later with a small scanner to double check babies position was actually breech as his 'boss' was wanting me to try for a vaginal birth if baby was head down....we were 10 minutes away from going to theatre and they were going to argue over how to deliver!!! He was happy that baby was breech and I walked down to theatre at 10.30am.

The aneathetist was setting up the DVD player in the theatre and we agreed to put Snow Patrol on whilst I had the cannula and spinal done which werent as bad as I thought as he numbed the areas first. I felt my legs and bum start to tingle then was lay down on my left side so they could 'slosh' the spinal aneasthetic around. My DH was brought in, a screen put up and although I felt some pressure I didnt even realise they had started until they were discussing how high my bladder was which was causing a problem :roll:. I started crying as I was panicking abit and the reality of the situation kicked in which started DH off so we shared a tissue :eh:.

The music had been changed to Robbie Williams Greatest Hits and whilst track 4 'You Know Me' was playing the surgeon announced the legs were out, then the arms/shoulders and the head just as we heard a sparrow like scream from baby Oliver at 11:01am.

As he was only 38 weeks, he was covered in sticky white stuff but they gave him a very quick rub, popped a nappy on him, and he was then tucked into my gown and we had skin to skin whilst they started to stitch me up. He kept slipping cos he was so slimy and sticky so they wrapped him in a towel and DH sat with him next to me.

DH and little one were taken to a side room where they checked Oliver and made sure everything was where it should be and I was transferred to a bed and taken to the recovery room where they placed Oliver on the scales, he weighed a dinky 7lb 6oz, and we had skin to skin again but he struggled to latch on and was getting really distressed so when we were transferred to the ward again, I got the same side room, we decided to bottle feed as we needed to make sure his sugar levels were okay and he was tested twice within 4 hours and luckily was given the all clear for diabetes :dance:.

The spinal wore off within 4 hours and I was bed bound for 24hrs. I had regular painkillers and had IV paracetamol and only one shot of morphine which was a small dose but I felt so drunk with it. I was able to raise and lower the bed to be comfortable enough to lift Oliver from his cot next to me so I could change him myself and I just buzzed when I needed a bottle or anything else (I was cheeky enough to ask for toast and coffee at 3am cos I was starving and the support worker on the nightshift was fantastic!!!).

I was helped out of bed the next morning once my catheter was removed, had a few horrible moments where I could feel the blood loss pour onto the bed pad which I was really embarrassed about but the staff were brilliant, had a shower and had to press the emergency button as I nearly fainted but was soon on the road to recovery. I had to ask for painkillers the majority of the time which wasnt a problem although I kept losing track of time and tried to make sure I had something every 4 hours to keep on top of things which really helped to keep me as mobile as possible.

Oliver was checked and given the all clear although needs to have his hips rechecked at 6 weeks cos he wasnt straightening as well as he should because he was a flexed breech and he failed the hearing test on the right side but told it may be gunk in his tube so referred for further tests in January.

We were discharged with iron tablets and painkillers on Thursday afternoon and I am so shocked at how well I am getting about already. Even days after I was walking straight, although very slow and carefully, but coughing and laughing were a challenge :shakehead:.

A planned section was the best choice for us but its still very scary and we came through it with a beautiful little boy!!!

(Sorry if I have bored you all but wanted to give as complete a picture as possible for those who are having a section)

Aww brilliant detailed story, so glad it all went well and the staff were so great...except for the whole head down thing lol!
Congrats on your baby boy, Oliver and Benjamin were the two top 'boy' names on my list so I love the name!!!

Awwwww huge congratulations! Its been great following everyone and seeing and reading all your borth stories! xxx

What a great detailed story :) congrats on your wee man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think a great story chick! i didnt find my section overly bad either and altho i agree bout coughing and laughing lol i was also about pretty quick! :D congrats on the birth of ur lovely boy! xx

well done, you sound a lot braver than me lol! Congratulations to you and DH x

Congratulations hun- and a brilliant summery of a section for the ladies on here expecting the same - enjoy your son X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back