Old wives tale or not?!!

kimmumof2

Reaction score
hi, just wondering if any of you had heard this or whether its just my mum being my mum lol. she keeps telling me off for crossing my legs and says it cuts off circulation to the baby. i can remember her telling me this with my DD but my friends have never heard of this!!! goin try google it see what it says but just wondering if any of you had heard this before and if its true. i cant help crossing my legs its just natural and dont know what im goin to do to stop myself doing it when my mum aint there to shout at me. xxxxx

I've been told this before!!!

Keep getting shouted at in work for having my legs crossed!

Would love to know if it's correct!

xxx

I've heard this, but I thought it meant sitting on the floor with your legs crossed, like we used to do in assemblies in school :lol: I don't know whether its an old wives tale or not :?

xxxxx

im sat here now with my legs crossed.. wonder if it is true,

going to ask mw lol

I get told off for crossing my legs, at least I did before it was too uncomfortable to cross them! I dunno about the circulation to the baby I think it's more a case of varicose veins!

hi all, just looked it up on google and its something to do with developing deep vein thrombosis and this is heightened when poregnant so they recommend to not cross your legs!!! anyone got any tips on how to stop yourself from crossing your legs cus im always doing it. im goin to have to buy a reclining settee now to stop me from crossingmy legs! ( well its an excuse aint it lol) im glad i wasnt the only one to want to know about this. xxxx

IVE BEEN TOLD BY A FRIEND AT WORK NOT TO CROSS YOUR LEGS AS IT DOES CUT CIRCULATION OFF AND U CAN GET VERICAS VEINS (spelling). sorry caps was on :lol:

her midwife told her not to cross her legs. so id say its true dont cross your legs. i didnt know about it till she told me :)

i have vericuse veins (spelling)

she also had vericaue veins too (spelling) :p cba lol

my midwife was always telling me off for crossing my legs lol

i alays sit with my legs crossed i am right now.

hows that cuting circulation off to the baby?
:think:
shall i not sit like this?

apparently on a midwife website it says the only danger is of deep vein thrombosis and that is harmful to you but you do not cut circulation off to baby, it just heightens your chances of gettin DVT. xxxx

yea ive got 4 lumps on my leg. got em checked out by doc, he says its varicose veins. will check it with mw tomorrow.i have to keep eye on them too.

Varicose veins are enlarged veins that are swollen and raised above the surface of the skin. They can be dark purple or blue, and look twisted and bulging. Varicose veins are commonly found on the backs of the calves or on the inside of the leg. They develop when valves in the veins that allow blood to flow toward the heart stop working properly. As a result, blood pools in the veins and causes them to get larger.

Varicose veins affect 1 out of 2 people over age 50. They are more common in women than men. Hemorrhoids are a type of varicose vein. Spider veins are like varicose veins, but they are smaller.

Exercising, losing weight, elevating your legs when resting and not crossing them when sitting can help keep varicose veins from getting worse. Wearing loose clothing and avoiding long periods of standing can also help. If varicose veins are painful or you don’t like the way they look, your doctor may recommend procedures to remove them.

taken from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/varicoseveins.html

Crossing your legs can also exacerbate back and pelvis problems so its best to avoid doing it if you can, particularly as the bump gets bigger and puts more strain on these areas.

I heard that if you have sex in the missionary position you cut off blood supply to the baby (??) Nothing to do with crossed legs. In fact, if you had your legs crossed whilst doing the above, you wouldnt get too far ! :rotfl:
Sorry :oops:

Piglet xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back