Ok, so I feel dumb asking this, but..

LouiseH

Reaction score
Yano how the midwives keep saying..

'Ohhhh you've got till 21 days post-birth before ya need to sort out contraception.'
And.. 'You're covered contraception wise till day 21.' Etc.

So does this mean that its pretty much impossible to get pregnant post-birth until after day 21? Or is there a chance you can still get pregnant?

I don't feel she explained this properly lol x

Well you should be fine theoretically because of the time it takes the hormones to balance and ovulation to happen, the bleeding to stop etc
Practically I wouldn't risk it for anything on this world lol.
2 under 1 is far away from the definition of sanity for me...

Never had any MW or HV mention contraception to me and the Dr only discussed it at the 8 week check as I bought it up (I had to ask to go back on the pill lol)

xxxxxx

It was only discussed with me at the 6 week check. To be honest I found the doctor so pushy when it came to contraceptive. I didn't want to take anything and she printed out loads and loads of info for me and insisted the coil would be great. Whilst I agree with Hopes - 2 kids under 1 would drive me to madness, if I wanted to do that then I should be able too without being made to feel irresponsible.

Anyway, apologies for side tracking, I'm not sure about the 21 day rule - sorry!!
Xxx

Last edited:
It was only mentioned to me at my 6 weekl check and my god did they keep on how important it is! Use this, use that. I personally wouldn't risk it, I wouldn't want another quite soon lol x

Hmmm I may need to investigate this then.. Lol.

Feeling slightly worried now..

I haven't heard about the 21 day thing either! It was discussed with the doctor at the 6 week check and I went back on to the pill xx

I've heard it, but it was more put in the sense that if you weren't using something by day 21 there would be a definite gap iykwim.

I think like hope says its to do with the body 'resetting its self' iykwim. Hormone levels returning to normal etc.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Nobody mentioned 21 day thing to me either, contraception was mentioned when I left hospital but as I was c sec getting pg again soon is a big no no.

Wouldn't risk it tbh

The surgical stockings granny pants and breast pads are quite effective as contraception lol

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

Christ! Who was having sex in those 21 days anyway?! I had to bring it up myself but I did feel a bit patronised! Like I was a silly little girl for getting pregnant and oblivious to contraception xxx

They told me they recommend getting contraception at 21 days to me and then posted me some condoms at about 14 days. I thought it was all a bit ridiculous tbh though as sex was the furthest thing from my mind just then!xx

Christ! Who was having sex in those 21 days anyway?! I had to bring it up myself but I did feel a bit patronised! Like I was a silly little girl for getting pregnant and oblivious to contraception xxx

I was thinking the same! A newborn is effective contraception enough!

lol it took me more than 6/8 weeks to even think about having sex again, stitches, newborn, breastfeedign thru thrush, waking nights....
was too tired and sore and yuck to even want to. we dont do it while bleeding so no chance til the lochia had stopped anyway

Not heard of the 21 day rule but my cousin has 11mths between hers so you can def get pregnant quickly after one!

Well I'm kinda wishing that this mornings escapades never happened now lol.
I don't think that will be happening again until we have a more perminant method of contraception in place!

We dtd at about 4 weeks and got carried away I paid a visit for emergency contraception, better to be safe ;)

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't heard about the 21 day rule either. But then after having a ventouse and episiotomy, sex was the furthest thing from my mind until at least 4 months lol - and by then I'd requested a repeat from the GP to go back on the pill.

I think it's because you don't ovulate until 21 days after birth? I'm sure that's what they said at our antenatal classes x

Never heard of the 21 day thing? I thought you had to wait to heal up? Even if you feel fine it's best to give things a chance to heal and prevent infection?xx

I was told that I had to sort contraception out after 3 weeks. We did it beforehand and was fine xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back