OH Smoking

gemloulau

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I'm after some advice please!

I am now a non-smoker, I gave up last year after 17 years of smoking. My OH smokes roll ups - probably around 20 a day.

As I used to smoke, I never really minded that he smoked anywhere in the house, I just made sure the windows were open when we were home to get the smell out.

As soon as I found out I was pregnant he has been good and now either goes outside or smokes out of the kitchen window with the fan on to blow any stray smoke out the window. I steer well clear when he is smoking and we leave the fan on for 5 minutes afterwards.

I am worried that this isn't good enough - I heard something on the news today about cot death risks being greater if you let your baby sleep in your bed and you are a smoker because of the chemicals in you (the smoker). I had never even considered the after effects of a cigarette - I only ever thought about the implications of smoke inhalation. Now I am worried that I have already put my little bubs at risk because of my OH emitting chemicals.

He has tried giving up with electric cigarettes etc but its just not worked for him. I can't very well ban him from the house but I can get him to smoke outside every time but that doesn't stop the chemical issue - so does he need to wash after he's had a smoke? Does anyone now what the actual risk is to bubs as a result of the after effects of a smoker?

Hope that makes sense - my mind is probably working quicker than my fingers again!

xx

I was in the same situation, we have a nearly 6 month old now and he still smokes.
When he was born the midwife came round and spoke to us about it, don't quote me but she said they needed to be 7 steps away from the house (I think) and always wash their hands.
I would speak to your midwife if you are worried about the effects of it.

And we'll done for giving up!

I was told 7 steps outside, always wash hands and no contact with baby for 20 mins afterwards because all the shits still being breathed out x

Thank you Emma - appreciate your reply. I will definitely speak to my midwife and in the meantime I will send him up the garden!! xx

My OH smokes but only in one room that I rarely go in. I'm not too worried to be honest as baby will be nowhere near that room and both my parents smoked around me and my 4 brothers when we were babies/growing up and we are all fine x

It's a contentious issue...

I stopped in 2011 after being a smoker for 16 years. OH didn't.

From the moment I got any of my BFP's he smoked outside though (when I wasn't preggers it was out of kitchen window with fan on, guests all smoked outside from the day I stopped)

Obviously I had 3 losses so he had various times of going back to smoking in the kitchen but from the moment I was preggers with James he has been outside. Be is rain, snow, -10c I couldn't give a shite!! Not that he has ever mentioned smoking inside.

He washes hands, won't hold James if he has just been smoking (and I wouldn't let him) and he has a kind of jumper thing he throws on to go outside and smoke.

It's not ideal and I try not to let myself think about it too much or else I'd get really wound up!

I am the oldest of 4 kids and my Mum and Dad smoked throughout our childhood [and they also both smoked when Mum was preggers with each of us] and nothing untoward happened to any other us (no cot deaths, no breathing issues later in life, no low birth weights etc...) but that doesn't mean I want my child exposed to the nasty shit they put in tabbacco. They didn't have the research and information they do now back in the 1980's so the whole 'my parents smoked around me and I am fine' is null and void for me.

Incidentally both my parents stopped smoking about a decade ago. My youngest brother and sister (8 and 10 years younger than me) have never smoked.

xxxxxxxx

Thanks Carnat - that's a really helpful insight. Ideally he would be giving up but I can't force that upon him, all I can do is make sure bubs is protected as much as possible xx

My dh is a smoker as I used to be on and off, the thought of him smoking anywhere near me turns my stomach let alone the smell, so the other night when I caught a whiff, blew in from outside, and I ran upstairs to throw up I think he realised it was time for him to quit! So let's see how he does! I never knew about the 7 step thing, interesting info, will be telling him all!

Myself and MrHop both quit when we found out I was pregnant. We actually had a pre booked appointment with our local stop smoking service on the day we found out! We had decided to go down that route as FIL was diagnosed with bladder cancer at Christmas time which is a cancer predominantly caused by smoking. We waited until our appointment to actually stop as studies show that the stop smoking group is one of the most effective ways to quit, and tbh it really was!

I never thought MrHop would quit, but after the advisor told us all the dangers for baby and how many chemicals we were carrying around in our bodies he was disgusted!

If you have a stop smoking group near you I'd strongly recommend, as soon as he blew into the carbon monoxide reader he was sold!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back