odds are pretty stacked agaist us but.....

Thank you so much everyone, means a lot.
Am dashing to work shortly, so will hopefully have more time to reply later :)

Clementine this is super news, congratulations! I have my fingers crossed that this one is a sticky one x

Hi, sorry to hear about all the awful heartache you've experienced recently. It sounds like this one is here to stay though, you're almost at the 12 week mark. I experienced one loss aged 22, and now I'm 24 and pregnant with twins. Just that one loss before made me extremely worried and paranoid, and I was convinced at every scan that it would be bad news. It's only now that I can feel them moving around that I feel ok about things. Didn't announce pregnancy until 4.5 months in.

My auntie had twins 6 years ago at the age of 44. She actually had a really straightforward pregnancy compared with mine, and her boys are very healthy. They were not fertility treatment twins, but a surprise :)

Anyway, tips to try and help your worries.. well, I spent quite a bit of money on early scans. I paid for scans at 6 weeks, 9 weeks and 16 weeks, and then from there, I was lucky enough that I get growth scans every 2 weeks because of having mono-di twins, but I'd have paid for more otherwise. You could also invest in a doppler so that you can hear heartbeat.

As you said, the rough symptoms are a sign that things are going well (although if you feel fine for a few days, it doesn't mean it's going badly either). I had horrendous sickness for about 5 months, and still get it sometimes now at nearly 29 weeks. Any symptom can be normal, for example cramping and bleeding, so try not to read too much into them and try to stay away from google!

Look forward to seeing your progress! xx

Hi gesic,

I haven't suffered recurrent miscarriage but did have an mmc earlier this year which has let me a paranoid wreck! Lol. I too was "stalking" the may thread for weeks before posting at last just yesterday! I had a lot of cramping from 9 weeks onwards which absolutely terrified me but had a scan on Sunday and all was well! If you do venture into the may group I think I will be one of the last to leave tri 1 as I'm not due until may 25th! Good luck and hope to see you on the may thread soon xx

Just a quick update, 1st midwife appointment was last Wednesday, went well heard heartbeat which makes it feel even more real despite the MS! Dating scan is next week hoping alls ok as now starting to relax a bit more re the risk of MC but am now starting to worry about the risk of downs, Edwards and pataus syndrome :( Have found I have a one in 35 chance for downs (dr Google) am still trying to figure out the other two. I just keep expecting things to go wrong and after three previous MC's probs due to age and chromosomal issues I cannot help but worry the chances are more likely for problems than not! Does anyone have any better facts and figures? Midwife recommended amniocentesis as risk minimal but was going to look at the Harmony test. Any advice is very much appreciated, thanks in advance x

I would go yor harmony rather than amino if you can afford it. It's hard to relax but all is sounding very good x x

That's great news gesic, congratulations. If I manage to have a pregnancy that sticks I will definitely get the harmony test.

Thanks both, am just a born worrier at the minute.
Syd I was so sorry to read your news, its such an emotional rollercoaster, I hope you get a sticky one soon x

Thank you.

Of course you're worrying, I can't imagine a point in pregnancy where I would ever relax.

You can have the harmony test from 10 weeks which is another big plus in my book. Plus it can tell you the sex if you want to know :)

Thanks, I am def more than 11 weeks, possibly more and will find out next Thursday at dating scan. Am assuming they will be looking at that point for any issues. I will automatically be classed at high risk whatever simply due to age, just hope alls ok. My other half had sperm analysis and cannot get what they wrote on the bottom of his results. The results were pretty poor low volume, motility, morphology etc but they added in capitals proceed with caution. Cant get that out of my head despite the fact he has got me pregnant at least 4 times in the last 15 months x

Oh no, I can imagine how you feel, I would be the same. Having said that I've seen women whose partners have such poor sperm they're told they will never get pregnant go on to get pregnant and have healthy babies.

If I was you I would definitely go ahead and have the harmony test, you can do it now rather than waiting and it's very accurate, far more so than the 12 week scan.

Keep us posted.

Its natural to worry, you say you have 1:35 chance of your baby having down syndrome. This is just a stat, not real facts, so many women are put at high risk due to age alone and I think that's wrong. I wouldn't personally have amnio due to the risks but I did have harmony, easy, blood test, scan and results within a week. Worth every penny.
I know you will worry, there is always something to worry about but all is going well. Lots of luck xx

Hi Gesic from what I read the Harmony Test is non invasive it's based on your blood only also it does not include an "age factor" like the traditional blood tests did its purely based on the blood. I would try ignore the Google Stats (though I have read them) , based on the statistics at 44 we shouldn't even be able to get pregnant in the first place.
I think we will have a Harmony Test at 12weeks if we get that far.

We were given something like a 1:8 chance DS would have a problem due to his NT measurment. We did the harmony test and it was negative. He was born healthy :).

I had the harmony test with Jacob. I'm 42 and have had 5 losses ...... One at just over 13 weeks due to a chromosomal abnormality. Due to my history and age, the NHS gave me a risk factor of 1:80 chance before screening so we opted this time not to have the NHS screening and go straight for harmony testing. It came back <1:10000 chance of chromosome abnormalities and we found out the sex at the same time.
Congratulations and good luck xx

Thanks everyone. I am pretty much 100% I will go for Harmony test, I have a dating scan later this week so will see if they can point me in the right direction.
Still hoping alls well, sickness has been pretty much constant, not drinking enough and def not eating or keeping food down so hope this little one isn't suffering the consequence of MS

I lost almost 40lbs due to severe sickness in tri 1 this time. Baby is doing fine and measuring above average on scans so try not to worry too much about not eating enough. Baby takes what it needs, especially early on when it is still tiny. Mum suffers a bit more :/. If you cant keep down enough fluids you need to be careful though as dehydration can get dangerous quite quickly. I found drinking at night worked best for me because that was the only time I could keep more than a few sips down. It was annoying because I had to get up a million times in the night to pee but it was the only way I could drink anywhere near enough. I also ended up with medication and an IV when things got really bad.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread! Congrats on your pregnancy! :dance: Lot's of luck to you, this one may stick for you. I'm 47 years old and I will be 30 weeks pregnant in 2 days, so just stay positive, it can happen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back